PDA

View Full Version : Electrical storms & long renders?

Johnny
02-24-2004, 11:11 AM
When an electrical storm looms, or some rain with 30% 40% more/less chance of thunder and lightning is coming, do most people shut down Screamer Sessions and resume when the storm's over, or throw caution to the winds, and keep blasting away?

J

mattclary
02-24-2004, 01:54 PM
I don't use screamernet, but I keep my machine on a good UPS (APC). I live in Florida, during the summer, you could never use a computer (safely) if you didn't have a UPS.

Johnny
02-24-2004, 01:55 PM
Huh...I thought that a UPS was something that would give you time to save and power down gracefully if the power went out...

Sounds like you're actually working on it..is that the case?

J

mattclary
02-24-2004, 01:58 PM
Yeah. Your machine is plugged into the UPS, if the power goes out (or spikes, sags, or opens a trans-dimensional vortex), the UPS protects your machine.

Plugging your machine directly into the wall socket is like going to Bangkok without a condom.

Just made myself a new quote... :)

Johnny
02-24-2004, 02:04 PM
OK...so, if the power goes, you're done (in 15 mins or so) but this UPS also serves to protect your gear against spikes..

so...what happens when a UPS goes up against a lightening bolt? I certainly hope that you and your kit are safe, but since you live in Hurricane Central, do you know a specific time when the UPS protected your computer(s)?

J

mattclary
02-24-2004, 02:10 PM
First of all, most power companies do a really good job of grounding their equipment, so a strike probably wouldn't make it to your outlet. Most strike-killed machines get it through the phone line. APC guarantees the safety of your equipment, different amounts depending on the quality of the ups. Odds are if that happened, your machine being on or off isn't going to make a difference.

As to power loss, I wouldn't actually wait 15 minutes, I'd shut down ASAP. Hell, the beeping of the ups would dribve you crazy... A lot of UPSes nowadays come with software and usb cables so they can power down on their own, you don't even have to be there.

edit:
And no, my UPS has never had to make the ultimate sacrifice.

toby
02-24-2004, 03:06 PM
Won't a good power strip work as a condom?

Johnny
02-24-2004, 04:33 PM
Which model would you advise?

J

prospector
02-24-2004, 04:46 PM
Your so right mattclary.
I had one go down like that when all other compys kept running.

Was so bad that all soldei was melted from modem board and pci slot it was hooked into.
What a snotty smell too.

Power strips just shut off if overloaded, they don't stay on if power goes out.

riki
02-24-2004, 05:35 PM
I'm a bit paranoid, I even unplug the TV from the wall socket. I've got surge protectors on the PC, but I wouldn't want to rely on them.

prospector
02-24-2004, 10:39 PM
riki..your ok as long as you don't start seeing black helicopters.;)

mattclary
02-25-2004, 05:32 AM
Power strips just protect against spikes, not lags. I don't want my computer re-booting on me. UPSes actually do line conditioning, surge protectors don't.

A surge protector is like wearing a glow in the dark French tickler purchased from the mens room of a truck stop. It might save your life, but you won't sleep as well as if you used a Trojan. ;)