PDA

View Full Version : Uploading pictures

greyna
03-13-2003, 02:26 PM
Do picture uploads work the same on this new BBS as the last one?

\ image {comments}

Will that line place a picture within the text like it did before? Is there any limit to the number of pictures that can be included in one post? I don't see any instructions anywhere...

Thanks,
Greg

greyna
03-14-2003, 01:45 AM
I saw the FAQ and read it, so now I know the tags to use...trouble is, the tags point to web addresses that contain the pictures.

So. I guess I should upload a couple of Jpegs here to see if the "Attach File" field below gives me a location on the Newtek BBS where these pictures end up. If so, it would seem that if I want to add a number of pictures to my post, like the old BBS, I need to start with a "dummy" post, upload all my pictures to get the addresses, then write the "real" message and use the vB [img] code to place the pictures in the body of text where I want them.

Is this for real? Have we come to the point where we abandon a successful method (the old BBS way of handling pictures), for a new one that as ten times more complicated and may not even work?

Somebody please tell me I'm wrong!

Greg

ps I uploaded two Jpegs. I hit "Preview Reply" and now the "Attach File" field is empty, and I don't see any urls telling me the locations of the files. Also, it seems that when I hit the "Browse" button the second time to upload the second Jpeg, the first one was replaced instead of it accepting the two pictures.

lone
03-14-2003, 11:45 AM
it's worse than you think - YOU have to find a place elsewhere to store your pics. you'd think, with hard drives being cheap as dirt, that they could have left it the way it was, but no.

greyna
03-14-2003, 02:28 PM
Naturally. If it's well designed and it works, get rid of it!

I don't see how hard drive space could have anything to do with it. All they have to do is cut off previous messages after a certain age. As far as storing old messages, I'm sure that if Newtek asked, someone somewhere would offer to store a number of old messages on their web site.

I guess it may have had to do with hard drive maintenance, which at least makes a tiny bit of sense. Look at the way everybody moved their mailing lists to Yahoo to avoid whatever work was involved in the maintenance of a "Listserv" list (the no-cost "ad free" mailing list structure that had been around for decades).

There's progress for you, the only time there's enough money is when it comes time to go bomb somebody. Now y'all at Newtek know that I'm not referring to you here. Obviously, you're just a company trying to make ends meet. But to us out here it seems like everywhere we look "customer service" is deteriorating. Corporations make deals with one another, and more and more the "customer is always last".

But then you all are "us out here" too, aren't you? Notice anything changing? Notice that it's always somebody else that's responsible?

Greg

lone
03-14-2003, 03:30 PM
actually, i was thinking about pictures as opposed to text. text doesn't take up much space, but a couple of hundred pictures will. still, i don't see where there's any serious money saved by the new method of posting. my only net access is at work, so i'm now SOL as far as posting pics (not that i've got anything that impressive). while i like the rest of the new forum design, i'd trade it in a second to be able to post pictures again.

greyna
03-14-2003, 04:50 PM
That was the only thing that made it different from a mailing list and every other iformation exchange format. Being able to post pictures at precisely the position you wanted within the text, and then seeing it all right there at the same time was supremely useful; anything else is second-rate.

Greg