PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of pinches when splitting poly's for muscle detail

firstsingle
02-24-2004, 07:30 AM
It seems unavoidable to get 3 sided poly's when splitting for muscle detail. Can any one offer me tips or, models to look at up close 'in poly mode ' Your feedback will be of great help.

SplineGod
02-27-2004, 02:48 AM
can you post an example of what you mean?

firstsingle
02-27-2004, 08:57 AM
Wow, SplineGod himself took the time to answer this post. Amazing. Sorry to be such a grouppy but, I'm always browsing your site. Anyway. Yes I can post an example. Thanks again for the response.
I'm only a few months old to 3D so I know I have a lot to learn. Here is a JPG snapshop of just the torso I'm learning to model with.

Notice the grooss pinching where the serratus geometry is supposed to be:confused:
Should I only be shooting for Quads?

The Abdominis is also a little freaky.

firstsingle
02-27-2004, 08:59 AM
Here is a pic of the front.

firstsingle
02-27-2004, 09:01 AM
And finally. A wireframe shade pic.

SplineGod
02-27-2004, 04:59 PM
I think you have the right idea. The form is pretty good. The main problem is that you have too many lines of parallel edges too close together. The mesh doesnt flow well and its a bit on the messy side. Heres more or less what I shoot for. Theres no triangles in this and no parallel lines close together. The flow is very important to get correct.

firstsingle
02-27-2004, 10:31 PM
Hey SplineGod. Took a look at your geometry flow. Really helpful and, I caught some of your advice you gave to another newbie on CGNetworks today. So, you've been of great help. I have one more question for you. From what I can see you use smooth shift to add mustle detail, more than edge tools. Am i correct?

After going back to another version of my model.
Things turned out 100% better. Thank you very much.

I attahed a picture of my progress;)

newagetitan
02-28-2004, 10:48 AM
Thank you as well SplineGod...very helpful.

SplineGod
02-28-2004, 12:08 PM
Firstsingle,
Nice! much better. I do use smooth shift alot and then spin quads to redirect the flow after doing that. I do use edge tools as well but I make sure I create the proper flow. I avoid some of the pitfalls I mentioned before.

Newagetitan,
Youre welcome :)

firstsingle
02-28-2004, 12:58 PM
Cool! Thanks again SplineGod. Til next time.