PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Newtek!

Jimzip
02-24-2004, 01:00 AM
Ah!
Thank you to whoever it was at Newtek for organising the Lightwave/Realviz upgrade!
This is really cool news, I stopped over at the Realviz website to check it out, and I'm really pleased with the offer after seeing what the bundle can do! Now all the whiney Mac users can stop complaining!!
This is really good value, so once again, thank you!

Jimzip :D

riki
02-24-2004, 02:04 AM
It is a great deal, just a shame that we can't buy it at that price.

Jimzip
02-24-2004, 02:27 AM
You mean the upgrade? Or buy the whole thing at that price, no upgrade? I think it's a pretty reasonable deal.

Beamtracer
02-24-2004, 05:51 AM
Jimzip, there's been some other posts about certain overseas Lightwave distributors who have been putting exorbitant price markups on the Lightwave/Realviz bundle. I think that may be what Riki is referring to.

Check the community section of this forum:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?threadid=18355

riki
02-24-2004, 08:03 AM
Hey Jimzip the upgrade is US$495, which sounds great. That's about A$640 at today's exchange rate.

But unfortunately after the Australian dealers add their cut, transport costs and GST, we end up paying A$899 for the upgrade version.

Jimzip
02-24-2004, 07:03 PM
Oh..
I see. Well, I'll have a look around and try to find a dealer that doesn't jack it up as much..
I'll let you know what I find.
How much would the straight upgrade be then? Without the Realviz I mean..

Another side to the coin says: I'm just going to order it, have it sent to my friend's address, (who lives in NY) and he can mail it over to me.. That will probably end up being a lot cheaper.. Or am I missing something..

riki
02-24-2004, 07:17 PM
That's the normal price, from what I understand. Though I guess it could change after the release date.

Just check with Newtek Sales before you buy through your friend in NY. I'm not sure how the registration/dongle issue works. I have heard of people buying overseas through ebay, but then not being eligible for upgrades through local dealers. I'm not sure if that's an myth, but best to do some checking.

qwerty99oz
02-24-2004, 09:33 PM
I email Newtek direct and they have comfirmed that it is $100 to ship one copy of LW to Australia.

riki
02-24-2004, 09:39 PM
How can that be? It only cost me US$10 dollars to ship Dan Albans 'Inside LW8' from Amazon.

The LW 8 upgrade as I understand, doesn't include manuals, so it should be a fraction of the cost.

prospector
02-24-2004, 10:35 PM
A hunnert bucks:confused:

I can mail my wife for less;)

Jimzip
02-25-2004, 01:23 AM
I'll definetely check it out. I think that may be the way to go however. It removes the dealership costs, lowers the shipping price, and is legitimate.

Ade
02-25-2004, 01:51 AM
Riki theres probably some sort of tax or royalties or something that when a product enters a country you have to pay a fee to the lisenced distributer.

Beamtracer
02-25-2004, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by riki
I have heard of people buying overseas through ebay, but then not being eligible for upgrades through local dealers. I'm not sure if that's an myth, but best to do some checking. But Jimzip is upgrading his existing Lightwave that he previously bought via the local distributor. It retains the same dongle and serial number.

The local distributor may not offer help or support (do they give any support anyway?) but I can't see how they would refuse to sell future upgrades.

Originally posted by prospector
A hunnert bucks:confused:

I can mail my wife for less;)
Hehehe! A hundred bucks for postage is a joke. Especially when they say it takes ten days or more to arrive.

dark_lotus
03-01-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Jimzip
I'm just going to order it, have it sent to my friend's address, (who lives in NY) and he can mail it over to me..

Really!? Which friend would that be ;).

Jimzip
03-02-2004, 01:31 AM
Um... Duncan Dingleheimer?

Heh heh..

P.S.. 'Course.. I'd probably have to warn you before I did anything like that! ;)