PDA

View Full Version : EXPO! Please Read! :)

ToddG
03-13-2003, 01:01 PM
Hello all,

Some of you may know me, but for those of you who don’t my name is Todd Grimes and I’m co-founder along with TJ Sullivan of Evil Plan Studios. Our website is: www.evil-plan.com.

We had a discussion recently on the good ol days of big expo’s such as the LENY Expo, Newtek Day in LA etc. We attended all of these shows and always enjoyed them and what they offered. We came to the conclusion that we’d like to try and organize a similar event for our 3d community. We would propose a “Character Animation Expo” focusing on expert advice and techniques. The show would feature artist speakers from studios like Manix, Tippet, Nickelodeon etc. We would also have demo reel/portfolio reviews and lots of free content etc. While Lightwave would be a focus (since we’re a Lightwave using studio) it wouldn’t necessarily be solely a LW show. The focus would be on theories and techniques of character animation, as demo’d by industry professionals in various 3d packages.

The next thing to consider for us is location. The logical spot for us would be Los Angeles since we’re based in the LA area. The downside being that it seems as though people always do things in LA and that the area has gotten saturated. Other possible considerations for us are New York or Las Vegas.

A deciding factor for the show getting off the ground will be attendance. If we cant draw a big enough crowd it may not be worth it. We’re not looking to gain anything financially by this. We’re only looking to bring back the opportunities to aspiring 3D artists that we had in something that we’d like to become an annual event. To accomplish this we need your support! So, we’re asking for feedback. Pleas email us at [email protected] and let us know if this is something you’d be interested in, what city you’d like to see it in, and if you’d be willing to pay something like $50 - $75 or so to get in.

Thanks for your time,

Todd Grimes
TJ Sullivan

Evil Plan Studios

mattclary
03-13-2003, 01:05 PM
If it were in Atlanta or Orlando, that would be pretty cool. Not exactly huge places, but...

Cobalt
03-13-2003, 08:34 PM
I wish I could make it ... but will be lucky if I can even make it to SIGGRAPH this year. I would be interested in subscribing or purchasing a CD covering all the attending speakers and content though.

Good luck with your efforts Todd!

DigiLusionist
03-13-2003, 09:09 PM
That is a great idea, Todd. Such events are important methods of networking and learning the state of the industry, etc. Also for learning various techniques directly from pro artists.

hrgiger
03-13-2003, 09:26 PM
Yeah, I wish there were more events like that here where I live in Ohio.

Ibanezhead
03-13-2003, 10:59 PM
Sounds good.

How about San Rafael, CA (in Marin county, just across the Golden Gate Bridge)? The Lucas Empire, and a ton of Gaming companies are in Marin. Furthermore, Pixar and other well known Bay area companies are very close by, like PDI, Tippet, Blizzard and EA... Heck it would only take LA guys 6-7 hours to drive up here.

Some of the advantages would be, of course, the easy access for many animators that reside in the Bay area, and other parts of California. People get to see the beauty of Marin. Maybe visit Skywalker Ranch if you know someone. See the Redwoods at Muir Woods. Tour San Francisco in your spare time. Avoid the hassles of a downtown venue in a city like San Francisco, LA, or New York. And finally you could have it at the Marin Civic center, and see where they filmed parts of Gattaca :)...

Here are some photos... (I have no connection with Dan Heller)

http://www.danheller.com/marin-headlands.html

http://www.cmgww.com/historic/flw/photo_marin.html

Vic

DigiLusionist
03-13-2003, 11:50 PM
I'll suggest San Diego not only cause I live here, but because it's a great place to visit. Siggraph is here this year, which is nice.

Another good place awesome tourist town is Orlando, Florida.

beverins
03-14-2003, 12:33 PM
I would love to have an expo in NEW YORK CITY for once. What with people checking shoes on airports, its a pain in the butt to have to fly across the country to attend one of these...

PHilly[Dee]
03-14-2003, 12:45 PM
...If you build it, they will come....

when are you planning on having the proposed event?

-count me in :D