PDA

View Full Version : Game Animation?

zecryan
02-22-2004, 04:55 PM
I am new to game 3D modeling and was wondering how to create 3d animation for a character for use in a game. are the animation the i create in lawout, can they be used in the game engine for animation?

Meaty
02-22-2004, 05:16 PM
they can be used in games, however, you typically need a third party exporter which will port the animation data to the game platform you want to use it for.

WilliamVaughan
02-22-2004, 05:47 PM
My suggestion would be to go and buy Serious Sam gold edition (very affordable) and give the editor a go. That is how I broke into games and it was an easy transition from LightWave to their editor. Killer games as well :)

cresshead
02-22-2004, 07:24 PM
also www.lostpencil.com have a 4.5 hour training video with lightwave and a game engine for about $30 and it comes with the chracter and the level plus the demo of the game engine too..all you need to know about getting a character/animation into a game.

direct link for you:

http://www.lostpencil.com/justanimate_ga.html

cheers

steve g

WilliamVaughan
02-22-2004, 08:18 PM
Forgot about that....I have that CD and was very happy with it. Desse's character was great in that!

Qslugs
02-23-2004, 08:32 AM
Lightwave or any other animation package for that matter should be fine for creating game aniamtion. Most of the time the animation needs to be created in cycles so that the starting and ending points are the same. Certain circumstances sometimes allow of the need of a character going from lying down position to standing up position, in thoes cases a cycle would not be necessary. Getting the animaion out of Lightwave or any other package for that matter can usually be handled by a 3rd party exporter or importer, however in larger studios with their own engines, animaiton files in the ascii format (standard text and redable) like the .LWS and Maya Ascii .ma format are more than likely imported directly into the engines sans export import into a 3rd part product.

In the case of the hobbiest or mod guy, I would look into UT, 2k3 or 4 or Serious Sam like Proton suggested. or even better take cresshead's suggestion and support people making training materials for LW.