PDA

View Full Version : hey guys, problem thats annoying me...

HailStorm
02-22-2004, 10:45 AM
hello, think this is my first tiem posting here!
been reading for along time though!

ok, well
everynow and then my lightwave decides to delete alot of plugins,tools,my key binds and stuff like that, and only way to get them back is to reinstall n them bind all my stuff again :S

I went to use lightwave today and was only Lscript and hypervoxel plugins in the "Add Custon Object" list

has anyone ever had this problem or know what to do?
thanks

toby
02-22-2004, 04:35 PM
Couple things -

Once you load all the plug-ins, you need to quit LW so that the config files get saved, and those plug-ins will be loaded next start-up.

If you've quit and they still don't load, make sure that the config files are not write-protected.

outkast
02-22-2004, 06:23 PM
mmm...i had the exact same prblms a few days ago...installed a new plug,...everything looked ok ....enjoyed the sunny day a bit ,when i restarted my computer and opend up LW i noticed that the plug in tab was no longer there:confused: ...lost all my plugins for reassons unknown.

i tryed to upload them again but it just didn't work ...i couldn't upload plugins no mather what i did ...after trying out for like an hour i decided to re-inst. LW...i'm using plugins now...weird huh

HailStorm
02-22-2004, 07:25 PM
yea i think all mine might of been when i installed a new plugin :(

can anyoen tell me how to backup all my configurations and stuff before i install a new plugin?

munky
02-23-2004, 05:24 AM
Hi there,

to back up your prefs just go into the LW application folder go to Backup Configs folder and in there you will find you lightwave Preference files so just make a copy and save it somewhere and if lw screws up just pop em back in!

regards

paul

(if I'm wrong I won't tell you where I'm hiding)

HailStorm
02-23-2004, 05:50 AM
hey munky, thanks for replying

i don't have a backup config or any config folders but i think i know how to do what i wanted now :)

theres a save button in the configure buttons and menus dialogs
thanks

munky
02-23-2004, 07:20 AM
DOH!!!

you won't have one because you ain't using a Mac (sorry) I think you might find the info in App.7 of the manual. My pc is windows xp and I'm rather new to it so I don't know where the little munkies hide in it's rather alien system.

It might be woth asking in the PC forum as it's always handy to have a backup in case you have to reinstall LW and want your old familiar slippers by the fireside settings back.

regards

paul

shockwave
02-23-2004, 08:57 AM
I had a similar problem last summer when i first bought my copy of LW. I was sent a defective disk missing the plug- ins. I was e-mailed the proper plug-ins from Newtek, but I couldnt install them either and had to call them to guide me through the process and everything worked out fine. I suggest you do the same to save time and frusteration. Their customer support staff are very helpful. Do you own licenced copy of LW? If not your SOL.

Riplakish
02-23-2004, 09:16 AM
On the x86 versions on Windows (2000, XP), you should have a user directory under "Documents and Settings". There are 4 files:

LWHUB.CFG
lw3.cfg
lwext3.cfg
lwm3.cfg

You should be able to back these up somewhere, and restore them if they go bad (or even do diff's to see _what_ changed), or read them, and see whats set up for you. :)

I'm not sure where they hide on Windows 98 - I've never had good experience with LW 6 on W98, so I've never pursued it.

While I'm here, one other useful feature I've found is to put the
config files on a network share, and point the modeler and
layout at them via the -c flag. This allows me to a.) Back them up when I back my fileserver up automatically, and b.) share them among my machines when I want to do network rendering.