PDA

View Full Version : 3d conversion help please

FritohChip
02-21-2004, 01:14 PM
Hello there. I used LW 7.0 to make an airplane object and I used the surface editor to make the polygons double sided(clicked the double sided box). If I didn't make the polygons double sided, some of them would look see-thru from one side but I could see the polygon from the other side. Clicking double sided solved this issue.

But now that the airplane object is done, I need to convert the .lwo file to a .x file so I can use the airplane object in my program with direct3d.

Every 3d object converter I've used so far doesn't make the .x object double sided(I look at the .x object in the sdk mesh viewer and lots of polygons are see-thru because they're not double sided).

Anyone know how to fix this? Or knows a good 3d converter that supports double sided. Or a way to add in double sided in the .x file itself?

Thank you.

freez
02-21-2004, 02:19 PM
you could copyand paste the polygons you want to be double sided, and then flip them, that way you have all polygone single sided

FritohChip
02-21-2004, 02:29 PM
I did think about doing that, selecting the polygons that are see-thru (when double sided is not selected) and flipping them, but it is a very detailed object with lots of polygons and would take a long time to do that hehe.

Does the double sided check box under surface editor not actually make the polygon double sided, just views it as double sided? Do I have to go to detail tab and do it to officially make the polygon double sided?

I did look at the .x file that I got when I converted the .lwo to .x and I was wondering if I could add in a line to make the polygons double sided.