PDA

View Full Version : VT3 Install Problem

mccabejc
02-21-2004, 07:15 AM
Just received my VT3 upgrade. My old computer that housed the old VT died, so I moved the Toaster card to a different machine, and attempted to install the software. Seemed to go okay, followed all the instructions, but when I tried to start VT3 I got an "application failed to initialize" error message.

Anyone know what went wrong? Maybe since it was an upgrade it was looking for some files that existed on the old Toaster installation on my dead computer?

SBowie
02-21-2004, 07:52 AM
After installation you would have had to reboot. On rebooting, you would get a 'new hardware' prompt that led to the installation of the VT driver -- did you go through that process, or perhaps cancel it?

mccabejc
02-21-2004, 08:45 AM
Actually, I saw the screen come up for installing the Toaster drivers, but never had to answer a prompt. It was all automatic. Also, I've noticed after booting I'm getting some "winrtme.exe has generated errors" messages.

Geesh, this brings me back to the original Toaster install years ago. I seem to remember similar problems.

Ivan
02-21-2004, 09:31 AM
Which slot did you put the card in? You may need to re-seat or put it in a different slot and do another install. Don't put it in the slot next to the AGP slot and don't put it in the last slot.

Ivan

mccabejc
02-21-2004, 10:03 AM
Thanks Ivan. Tried what you suggested, but still the same problems.

SBowie
02-21-2004, 11:27 AM
Asuuming that you've tried simply re-booting and still get the error, maybe take time to check the Device Manager (right-click on My Computer and select Manager, then Device Manager). See if "NewTek Video Toaster Driver" shows up in the device list without any errors.

If that looks good, maybe see if you can see the little green light on the board after it initializes...

mccabejc
02-21-2004, 11:31 AM
Yup, driver's there and working properly. Also there's a little green LED on the bottom/motherboard side of the card that's lit.

SBowie
02-21-2004, 01:55 PM
Well, we could fool around all day running through little suggestions, but I think I'm going to cut through a whole bunch of stuff and jump directly to suggesting:

a) reboot, and then before anything else do a core update (carefully - do not interrupt the process.) Then, after a cold re-start, run Autoconfig.

b) if that doesn't help, do a full uninstall/re-install ... it really doesn't take very long. Again, before attempting to run the VT[3] software, run Autoconfig.

mccabejc
02-22-2004, 07:22 PM
I did the core update fine, but when I tried to lauch Auto Configure I got an "Application Failed to initialize" error message.

Paul Lara
02-24-2004, 07:17 AM
Could you give us some specifics about your new system?
- motherboard?
- chipset?
- What slot you're using for VT[3] card?

mccabejc
02-24-2004, 08:20 AM
Well, I temporarily put the toaster in my ASUS A7M266 motherboard (Athlon processor) until my new Supermicro X5DA8 shows up this week. Wanted to get a little familiar with it and iron out the questions/issues like this.

I'm using the second or third PCI slot from the AGP slot (forget exactly which), but I originally tried the slot right next to the AGP slot and had the same problems.

Here's the chipset info:

AMDŽ 761 266MHz FSB Chipset with VIAŽ VT82C686B South Bridge

There was nothing on the Newtek website saying I couldn't use it (at least none that I found), so I gave it a shot. Guess I should have waited, huh ?

lwaddict
02-24-2004, 02:15 PM
Yep, you should have waited.

The VIA chipset forced me to completely rebuild my system.

The system I built runs fine, just not with the Toaster installed.

And regarding the Newtek site telling you not to use that config...they sort of do on the System Requirements page. There's a list of tested chipsets, harddrive configs, etc and none of em list VIA or Athlon...not that the Athlon can't happen, just use a different board.

Hang in there.