PDA

View Full Version : Jagdpanther

digidog
02-21-2004, 02:23 AM
Modelled and rendered in LW7.5 and composited with photo background in PS. Hope you like it.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/digidog/Misc/jp3a.jpg

pauland
02-21-2004, 05:03 AM
Fantastic. I particularly like the missing plate at the side. Would we expect to see exhaust smoke?

Paul

cg-freak
02-21-2004, 10:39 AM
He, saw this one earlier on at cg-talk. Really some amazing compositing stuff, you've got a great talent.

Grtzzz...

CG-Freak

MorituriMax
02-22-2004, 02:16 AM
Amen to that.. very nice work.

digidog
02-23-2004, 02:55 PM
Cheers guys.

Originally posted by pauland
Fantastic. I particularly like the missing plate at the side. Would we expect to see exhaust smoke?

Paul

I think so. The tanks I've seen seem to make quite a lot of it.

F1Racer
02-23-2004, 03:14 PM
Thats just amazing. Realistic as it gets. :eek:

Possible to see a wireframe and/or a colour shot of the tank ?

TSpyrison
02-23-2004, 03:31 PM
Excellent compositing of the mud tracks left behind the tank..

If you hadn't said it, I would have thought it was real

boblikesoups
02-23-2004, 05:43 PM
OMG! that is SOOOO good. Even upon closer examination it still looks entirely real... how long did it take you to make that entire picture?

SODAPLAY
02-23-2004, 06:12 PM
To: digidog

It is Superb!
Hey I have a question for you or for anybody who knows.
How do you insert a model inside the picture? (In your case you inserted tank into picture of road and forest, right?) How do you do it? The tank is 3d and the picture is 2d.

Thanks in advance

- SODA

mrxd
02-23-2004, 09:02 PM
very convincing! The grime, the missing plate, the tracks in the mud and the black & white render make it look like it was taken 60 years ago!

pauland
02-24-2004, 01:08 AM
The only problem is that it's so good that I want (expect) to see it move!

Paul

peterplezier
02-25-2004, 07:35 AM
Looks fantastic, show us the wireframe to prove this isn't a photograph!

See ya

digidog
02-25-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by F1Racer

Here are a couple of wires of the tank.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/digidog/Misc/wire1.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/digidog/Misc/wire2.jpg

digidog
02-25-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by boblikesoups
OMG! that is SOOOO good. Even upon closer examination it still looks entirely real... how long did it take you to make that entire picture?

The tank took me ages to model. Can't give you hours but on and off I've been messing around with it for at least a year. (I only do this stuff in the evenings when I get a bit of time - It'd probably take a few days full-time modelling if all the resource material was available upfront) I kept going back and changing things. Adding more detail or changing things when I found photographs that made some details clearer than they'd been before.

The rendering took a while to get right and the compositing didn't take very long at all.

digidog
02-25-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by SODAPLAY

It is Superb!
How do you insert a model inside the picture? (In your case you inserted tank into picture of road and forest, right?) How do you do it? The tank is 3d and the picture is 2d.

Thanks in advance

- SODA

Yes, the tank is 3D and the rest is a photo. I took the photo with the image I wanted in mind. I came across some tracks in the mud while we were out walking one day and thought they'd make great tank tracks (they were actually made by a 4x4). The image below shows the scene in layout with the photo loaded into the background. This allowed me to line up the ground mesh and the tank so that they matched the perspective of the picture. The tank and ground were then rendered seperately (making sure the lighting matched the picture reasonably well). The ground was just a white mesh which served the sole purpose of catching the tank's shadows. This shadow pass, the tank render and the photo were then composited in photoshop elements by loading them into different layers and then blending them together (which takes a bit of practice). I also cloned out the tracks in front of the tank to make it look like the tracks had been made by the tank and I added a bit of mud (again using the clone tool) to make it look like the tracks were sunk into the mud a bit. Hope that goes some way to explaining the process.

digidog
02-25-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by SODAPLAY

It is Superb!

Thanks in advance

- SODA

Yes, the tank is 3D and the rest is a photo. I took the photo with the image I wanted in mind. I came across some tracks in the mud while we were out walking one day and thought they'd make great tank tracks (they were actually made by a 4x4). The image below shows the scene in layout with the photo loaded into the background. This allowed me to line up the ground mesh and the tank so that they matched the perspective of the picture. The tank and ground were then rendered seperately (making sure the lighting matched the picture reasonably well). The ground was just a white mesh which served the sole purpose of catching the tank's shadows. This shadow pass, the tank render and the photo were then composited in photoshop elements by loading them into different layers and then blending them together (which takes a bit of practice). I also cloned out the tracks in front of the tank to make it look like the tracks had been made by the tank and I added a bit of mud (again using the clone tool) to make it look like the tracks were sunk into the mud a bit. Hope that goes some way to explaining the process.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/digidog/Misc/wire3.jpg

digidog
02-25-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by pauland
The only problem is that it's so good that I want (expect) to see it move!

Paul

Don't hold your breath :)

digidog
02-25-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by F1Racer

Nearly forgot. Here is an older colour render (the model was slightly different at this stage but the colour maps are the same).

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/digidog/jpb.JPG

I also did some test with a winter camo job. Not the best renders but these ones show the tank without the skirts.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/digidog/Misc/snotank.JPG

The Great Raja
03-01-2004, 09:03 PM
Looks awesome dude. :)

SODAPLAY
03-01-2004, 09:43 PM
Thanks.
I have one question thou. What do you mean by rendering separate? How to do that kind of renders?

Thank you.

- SODA

oxyg3n
03-02-2004, 05:16 PM
Very nice work. It looks like an old time photo to me.

shockwave
03-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Awsome model!! Looks like somthing that I might have had on my workbench prepped for a compitition . How did you do the sprayed camoflage ? (Newbie question) Its somthing I havent tried yet.;)

badgerboy
03-03-2004, 06:37 AM
Awesome. :eek:

digidog
03-06-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by shockwave
Awsome model!! Looks like somthing that I might have had on my workbench prepped for a compitition . How did you do the sprayed camoflage ? (Newbie question) Its somthing I havent tried yet.;)

Hi and thanks. I painted the texture maps in photoshop using the airbrush. Here is a small version of the main map.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/digidog/Misc/camo4.jpg

I then used procedural shaders in layers over the texture maps to add the dirt and mud. I used the IFW shaders (see www.shaders.org) rather than the standard Lightwave procedurals. The sphere in the picture below was mapped with the image map shown above and then the dirt was added over the top using the procedurals. The snow camo was done in the same way by adding a snow/ice/whitewash procedural texture over the same image maps.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/digidog/Misc/ball.jpg

I hope that makes sense.

shockwave
03-07-2004, 11:12 AM
Thats awsome! That really pulls it off nicely .Thanks:D Now I just have to learn how to use photoshop.

rbnz
03-08-2004, 09:41 PM
wicked wicked wicked. I was reading the forum and expecting someone to eventually crack and let on that it was just a photo. truely excellent work.

and to digidog....
another composting method involves projecting the 2d pic onto a floor with any extra objects ( curbs, [man hole covers if you wanna get really picky]) and then rendering the composite as if the whole thing was 3d. it can take a little while to get used to, but it can make soem truely remarkable results. Its even possible to use video split into frames in a similar manner.

lightwave pretty much has no boundaries.

scottn
03-08-2004, 11:56 PM
Looks really good. I really like the way you have blended image maps and procedurals.

Nice

veljko
03-09-2004, 01:08 AM
to try and answer SODAPLAYS question,

if i have lets say a box that is throwing a shadow on a ground plane below it, and i want to render only the box, then only the shadow on the plain, i would firstly deselect all objects in the scene editore beside the box and render it out- this way you get a render of only the box.
After that you select back the objects in scene editor for the next render pass-
then, for the box object, in "object properties/render" select the "unseen by camera"- this makes the object throw the shadow on the ground plane, but is unseen by camera- this way you get only the shadow on the ground plane rendered- Now you have two renders- one of the box only, and one of the shadow that the box is trowing- You load these renders in Photoshop and play with the layers-
thats it!
hope you understood this!

F1Racer
03-09-2004, 02:24 PM
'Tank you' for posting those extra shots digidog :)

Really great quality work there.