PDA

View Full Version : Proton Toy Version 1.0

WilliamVaughan
02-20-2004, 01:41 PM
Here is my first step into Proton Toys

The guys at 3D Art to Part (http://www.3darttopart.com/index.php) did a fantastict job and I was very suprised to see all the detail that showed up in the final product. I can't express the feeling you get when you can hold one of your digital models in your hands...too cool!

WilliamVaughan
02-20-2004, 01:42 PM
close up

Edbittner
02-20-2004, 01:45 PM
(The world is gettin' to be a scary place).
Ed
Naw, it's cool.

little5points
02-20-2004, 01:47 PM
How much did it cost?

mkiii
02-20-2004, 01:52 PM
Excellent..... Now I need to find one in the UK.

Cobalt
02-20-2004, 02:08 PM
The prices look very good ... considering the lowest these 3D printers cost is $20K - $30K. They had several of these 3D printer vendors at SIGGRAPH 03. Some had the ability to use materials other than plaster. Some even had extremely smooth finishes with the ability to print CMYK inkjet on the material. It's all cool stuff.

It's time to start populating the top of my bookcase with figure busts of my all time favorite character models!

evenflcw
02-20-2004, 02:10 PM
Very cool.
How solid does the material feel? Do the thinner parts feel very fragile?

phil lawson
02-20-2004, 02:16 PM
CCCCoooooll! That is sweet. Hope your feel'n better Proton by the way. :)

js33
02-20-2004, 02:17 PM
Now you have to paint it. :D

Cheers,
JS

WilliamVaughan
02-20-2004, 02:18 PM
A low low price of $65 bucks!

When they quoted me I thought they mis-quoted me :)

Each model has to be quoted but so far the ones that I have quoted all seem about that amount. I will soon have a large collection to go with my toys!

Rei
02-20-2004, 02:19 PM
cool, but weird

really really weird...

nice!

WilliamVaughan
02-20-2004, 02:26 PM
it's hard to grasp that this was from an LWO file....soo you will be able to have your own toy line out of your garage.

WilliamVaughan
02-20-2004, 02:40 PM
Anothe rpic....this is just too cool!

cagey5
02-20-2004, 02:57 PM
As you say that must be so cool to have a physical model of something you've only seen on a screen before . I need to learn to model cool characters.... Or weird ones.... or weird cool ones.

And nice to see the LW8 boxes have arrived from the printer, that's looking good too.

Wade
02-20-2004, 02:58 PM
So what's the back-drop there? Looks like something new.:)

Do we get a Proton Toy in every box - maybe 1/20th scale. Buy more and collect them all!

ballew
02-20-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by cagey5
And nice to see the LW8 boxes have arrived from the printer, that's looking good too.

Looks more like a manual to me

lunarcamel
02-20-2004, 03:56 PM
I have had this done before - actually I worked on a stop motion project that we animated the mouth movement of the characters in Maya then printed the models using a Z-Corp 3D printer. Basically to save sculpters the time when creating about 100 different expressions for a Chevron commercial.

Very very cool stuff. The output of "3D printers" can be ammazing.

little5points
02-20-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by proton
A low low price of $65 bucks!

When they quoted me I thought they mis-quoted me :)

Wow! I thought it would be $100 or more. cool

Lor
02-20-2004, 04:51 PM
Most cool, Proton. The possibilities are mind-boggling!

Nick

Titus
02-20-2004, 05:08 PM
At SIGGRAPH's The Studio you can print your models for free, of course you need to be the first in line ;)

NanoGator
02-20-2004, 05:09 PM
How come we can't see the back. Is it single-sided? :D

ChromeCow
02-20-2004, 05:09 PM
Back when I made this one:

http://chromecow.com/mig/index.php?pageType=folder&currDir=./Play/Stereolithography

The quoted price was, IIRC, about $3000.

Yay, progress!

Beamtracer
02-20-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Wade
So what's the back-drop there? Looks like something new.:) Yeah, the backdrop is intriguing. The foot obscures it, but it seems to say something about Lightwave 3D, model and render. Maybe that's a jab at a certain competitor's package that may only be able to model (and not render).

Making plaster models of your 3D characters is a wonderful concept. I'm sure everyone will want to do it. I previously knew it could be done, but didn't know it was so accessible to everybody.

samartin
02-20-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
Maybe that's a jab at a certain competitor's package that may only be able to model (and not render).

lol, that took time to register, I was gonna ask who this competitor maybe ??? I have had nearly a bottle o' wine right now but after 5 secs of thinking *ding ding*. But they dropped the "it's everywhere", that is a shame...

mamurphy
02-20-2004, 05:46 PM

lede
02-20-2004, 05:52 PM
Yeah there must be some part of creating a model that then can become a toy for you to play with. Their site has some really neat information, I guess the next part is to get a model that would be great to get produced.

Thanks for the cool tip Proton definatly a must look at site.

-Lede

riki
02-20-2004, 07:39 PM
It'd be nice if you could get a bronze version.

Cageman
02-20-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by lunarcamel
Very very cool stuff. The output of "3D printers" can be ammazing.

Yeah! As long as you donīt forget to use antialias! :D

*couldnīt help it.... sorry...* ;)

Steve McRae
02-20-2004, 08:31 PM
what is the material that it is made of proton . . . ?

xeno3d
02-20-2004, 09:04 PM
way cool on the physical model :)

looks to me like the LW 8 manual? :) MOdel | Animate | Render?

t4d
02-20-2004, 09:22 PM
looks very cool :D

abit harder to rig now but should still be able to do it :D

WilliamVaughan
02-20-2004, 09:30 PM
I'll have to look into what the material is...I'm having more made so I will find out...All I know is that my toy money is not going to Toys R Us for awhile :)

mlinde
02-20-2004, 10:13 PM
Proton, you could probably take your model, make a new cast, and bronze it, as mentioned by someone earlier. Take a class at the local art college in sculpture, focus on bronze casting! You could put the Franklin Mint out of business :)

WilliamVaughan
02-20-2004, 10:53 PM
great idea :)

WizCraker
02-20-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by proton
I'll have to look into what the material is...

From their Website

We use the latest rapid prototyping equipment to produce a physical part from 3D files. The equipment used to make your physical model builds the part layer by layer using a powder base and liquid binder. The final part is plaster like in appearance with a textured surface finish that can be left as is or can be further finished by sanding, priming and painting.

RyanRaner
02-21-2004, 01:35 AM
I thought the idea of getting something like this was very appealing and here is something I got in a reply when asking them about durability and painting:

We infuse the model surface with super glue which makes the have plastic like characteristics, thin parts can be brittle and thick parts can be very strong. So if a model has long thin spikes or features we would recommend that you paint them as is. If a part is broken it can usually be repaired with super glue.

Though I'm not entirely sure I understand what they mean by that. Are they saying it is flexible?

Nemoid
02-21-2004, 05:34 AM
Really Niiiice!!!
has this being made with some sort of 3D printer? its cool to view Proton's char in real 3D!!!!! :D

Matt
02-21-2004, 06:16 AM
Proton is that an SLA or FDM?

(Good to see the box too, I take it that was a deliberate leak!)

;)

lunarcamel
02-21-2004, 07:58 AM
When I had it done the powder was basically corn starch and resin. It prints a layer of glue then dusts over it with the powder.

The finer the powder the more expensive it is typically. Wish I had one in my home - I'd make stupid objects all day long ;)

Netvudu
02-21-2004, 08:38 AM
thatīs way cool Proton.

The only thing I donīt get is the scale. I mean, do you have to send it scaled to real size or what. (not that itīs any hard to do it, just asking)

oh! and do I have to freeze it before sending, or can I leave it in subpatch mode?

nerdyguy227
02-21-2004, 09:19 AM
That is one of the coolest things I'v ever seen!!!:cool:

How much does it weigh?
How fragil is it?
Can any of their equitment paint it?
What's that thing in the backround?
How tall is it?

ChromeCow
02-21-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by RyanRaner
I thought the idea of getting something like this was very appealing and here is something I got in a reply when asking them about durability and painting:

Though I'm not entirely sure I understand what they mean by that. Are they saying it is flexible?

I researched this quite a bit while I was writing the STL importer/exporter tools, and my understanding is that you get a plaster like material, but it can be infused with a solid binder that makes it plastic-like, or you can infuse it with a rubber-like binder to make it ruber like.

There are also places that will chrome-plate the resultant model, and there are some 3D-printers that will also infuse ink as they print, allowing you to create full-color models.

The crazier the process, however, the more $$$.

The cool thing is, the tennis-shoe companies usethe rubber proccess to prototype their new shoes.

There is also a navy project underway to use & fuse a metal powder, to make metal parts. the theory is, a submarine can take one of these units, complete models of all metal widgets, and if they experience a breakdown while out of port, they can print up a replacement part.

Cool, but I'm not sure I'd trust a faxed replacement part at a mile down.

WilliamVaughan
02-21-2004, 12:24 PM
I will weigh it...not all that heavy

The detailed parts are fragile...like the wispy hair

I plan on painting it by hand

the thing in teh background is the LightWave Eight Logo that Red printed out for me

alittle over 10 1/2 inches

Originally posted by nerdyguy227
That is one of the coolest things I'v ever seen!!!:cool:

How much does it weigh?
How fragil is it?
Can any of their equitment paint it?
What's that thing in the backround?
How tall is it?

3DEagle
02-21-2004, 01:18 PM
Hi Proton,

Can you please make a Miki doll and show us also...

Ole

DaveWarner
02-21-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Netvudu
The only thing I donīt get is the scale. I mean, do you have to send it scaled to real size or what. (not that itīs any hard to do it, just asking)

You can usually set the scale when you upload your object...on the Art-to-Part site, they have a dropdown box to select millimeters, centimeters, inches, feet, etc. This is typical for all the rapid prototyping sites I've gotten quotes from. So choose a scale in Modeler, create your object, and then select the same scale when you upload the object for printing.

oh! and do I have to freeze it before sending, or can I leave it in subpatch mode?

Yeah, you have to freeze the subpatches and you have to make sure that the object consists entirely of closed shapes...in other words, you can't send a 5-sided box...the volume of the object must be completely enclosed. And of course you can't have "loose" parts...like, if you were doing a text logo, you would need something in the object to hold all the letters together.

I just uploaded a couple of objects to the Art-to-Part service...can't wait to see what their quote is. $65 for a 10.5 inch object is GREAT! With prices like that, a LOT of people are gonna be doing these! :)

Thanks for posting the link, Proton!

WilliamVaughan
02-21-2004, 03:08 PM
I finally got some shots with better lighting...hoep thsi helps show the detail better...

WilliamVaughan
02-21-2004, 03:09 PM
Closer

WilliamVaughan
02-21-2004, 03:09 PM
Again...

WilliamVaughan
02-21-2004, 03:10 PM
more,,,,more,,,,

WilliamVaughan
02-21-2004, 03:10 PM
hand closer

WilliamVaughan
02-21-2004, 03:12 PM
I'm very happy with the quality and have already sent in more models....I'll post pix as they come in....my toy fund is being borrowed for these for awhile me thinks :)

dwburman
02-21-2004, 03:17 PM
That is very cool (albeit in a geeky kind of way). It makes me want to build something to have made. :)

Can you show us the wireframes :)

WilliamVaughan
02-21-2004, 05:24 PM
geeky or not I'm having more done :)

mattclary
02-21-2004, 05:36 PM
Cool! Did you use Monte Carlo or Interpolated? ;)

WilliamVaughan
02-21-2004, 05:40 PM
it's an 8 polygon model with defualt lighting...no radiosity.... :)

Imageshoppe
02-21-2004, 06:02 PM
One quick question on your original 3D model prep... is the staff object in the characters hand part of the hand mesh, or a disconnected prop with the fingers posed around it?

Very cool!

Jim Arthurs

Karmacop
02-21-2004, 06:41 PM
The staff would be a different object. I think if there's anything that is less than 1mm away from each other or something then they'll get connected when it's printed.

William, would you sand down the surface someway to remove all of the loose looking particles?

WilliamVaughan
02-21-2004, 07:51 PM
I'm using this as my test object...I plan to try different things like painting it, etc. The I will know what works and what doesn't. If more people start doing this we coudl start athread where we can discuss tips and tricks.

DarKchylD
02-22-2004, 08:46 AM
hey Proton the antialiasing of some of the pics are real bad hahahaha... kidding... well this is a real cool thing... man now if we can afford to get those expensive action figures... we'll just make one.... damn cool... :D

lildragon
02-23-2004, 10:08 PM
Excellent William, and with a price like that I'm definitely getting myself a few. The turtle I modeled for Icepond's Basshole was actually done by 3D Art to Part, though I never got to hold it :(

http://www.cgnetworks.com/stories/2003_8/floyd_bishop/floyd_1.jpg

It seems really solid and accurate, something definitely to be proud of.

-lild

WilliamVaughan
02-23-2004, 10:42 PM
Wow! I didnt realize that was yours...killer work and killer sculpture...wish you had teh chance to see it in person....they are very cool!

sculptactive
02-24-2004, 11:01 AM
Here's a link to a piece I made in 2001 using Zcorp.

They have built several sculptures for me and I have always been please with the final piece.

http://www.sculputer.com/html/interactive/interactive_Scul_01.htm