PDA

View Full Version : G2 and F.Prime difference. What is it?

deepbite
02-20-2004, 11:13 AM
Pardon my ignorance... But, what do you think is the difference between the two, G2 and F.Prime? They both seem to offer interactive render feedback w/ reflections and most other controls.

WizCraker
02-20-2004, 11:20 AM
G2 has more to do with shaders and FPrime is more like the IPR in Maya.

novadesigns
02-20-2004, 11:41 AM
Why don't you just wait until the thing is released and let Worley explain it all to you?

Yog
02-20-2004, 12:50 PM
From the little we have seen so far the most major difference is that if you add any lights or geometry to a scene you have to do a full Lightwave render in order to update G2, apparently in F.Prime you don't. That and G2 doesn't produce render quality results, also if a surface doesn't have any reflectivity when you start G2, then you have to re-render if you want to add some and have it show in G2.

F.Prime doesn't have any shader enhancing tools like G2, but knowing Mr. Woley from his past products I would be very surprised if they didn't work seamlessly together.

Also I have a feeling we havn't seen the full picture on F.Prime yet.

Carm3D
02-20-2004, 01:06 PM
Actually you can add new lights and see them show up in a G2 preview. Just not their shadows. G2 keeps track of the normals rendered for each pixel. This is why you can add more lights and see instant feedback.

G2 manipulates data from the last render, whereas FPrime is a rendering engine of sorts.

Qexit
02-20-2004, 02:17 PM
To deepbite.

G2 does an awful lot more than just quick preview renders. You can get some idea of its other capabilities either by having a look on Worley's site where there is an extensive feature list with examples :

http://www.worley.com/G2/g2_main.html#startit

....or you could have a peek at the review I wrote for CGFocus when it first came out :

http://www.cgfocus.com/ArticleDetails.cfm?ArticleID=180

From what has been shown so far, F Prime is a real time preview render system that allows image saving. With new demo videos appearing daily, there must still be more to come out.

G2 is described as a Lighting System. The F9 real time preview was a necessary bonus to maximise the usefulness of the other features. G2 allows you to do all sorts of interesting surface tweaks and settings...and then there is the fun 'Art Mode' which doesn't use lights at all !!

We'll just have to what else F Prime can do.

Cheers

Kevin

Stranger3D
02-21-2004, 02:46 AM
I think FPrime is more powerful than the Maya IPR or LW Viper.

FPrime is so cool!!! I couldn't wait!

jamesl
02-21-2004, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by Stranger3D
I think FPrime is more powerful than the Maya IPR or LW Viper.

FPrime is so cool!!! I couldn't wait!

That's true. People complain about Viper, but Maya's IPR is nearly as bad. The thing is, that type of deep render technology has it's limitations, but it's good for simple tweeking... they sacrifice features for speed. But it looks like Mr. Worley is changing the rules...:)

j

Ade
02-21-2004, 11:38 AM
wens fprime released?

WilliamVaughan
02-21-2004, 12:26 PM
Don't under-estimate the power of Viper....Fprime blows Viper out of teh water I agree...but Viper has many uses and shouldn't be over looked. IMHO

Nemoid
02-21-2004, 02:04 PM
Agree! and now we can have both, Fprime and Viper too.

hrgiger
02-22-2004, 12:41 AM
I like VIPER but it certainly could use some work. No transparency previews, no UV mapping....and I have had VIPER go buggy on me at times and not display certain attribuites like bump and such. I still use it quite a bit but if and when I were to get F PRIME, I'm not sure there would be a need for VIPER at all, especially since with F2, you can move the camera around and not have to do another F9 render like you do with VIPER.