PDA

View Full Version : Lexus IS300

sKb875
02-20-2004, 07:46 AM
This is my Lexus IS300 that I just finished modeling. :) Sorry for the bad render, I'm still learning. :(
Let me know what you think.

sKb875
02-20-2004, 07:47 AM
And now the back

Pogie
02-20-2004, 09:42 AM
Hey stevey

http://www.velocityphotos.com/images/stk/2001/lx2001is30001.jpg

http://www.rs-r.com/gt2/is300.jpg

I've attached these two images because i thought they matched up with your renders pretty well. I am no car expert, as i've told you several times, so i've just provided them as a reference point for your own comparisons.

Your model seems to be lacking some of the finer details and the one thing that i instantly noticed is that the rubber trim around the windows is much thicker than on the real lexus.

But all in all great work, you got the shape of the body spot on.

Dan

Lewis
02-20-2004, 03:21 PM
I looks nice and precise on dimensions but as already mentioned it lack small detials. You also need to model or texture gaps between parts (doors, bonnet, lights...) to make it belivable ;).

sKb875
02-20-2004, 11:17 PM
@Pogie & Lewis...> I check the window trim, and they match the blueprints.. I thought they seems a bit thick too, but I guess not... :S

I notice the few details that I didnt add, and I added them now. :D

About the body lines, they're on there, but since the render is so bad, you can't really see them.. I did a render that is a little better, I gotta find someone to render it better hehe. I can ask my friend to do it, but if he doesn't want to, I guess you gotta live with my bad renders. :P. Anyways, here's a update.

**What I added**
1. Front Bumper Grill
2. Front bumper Fog Light
3. Muffler
4. Made Window Trim Sharper
5. Back Trunk Line

Let me know what you think...

cg-freak
02-21-2004, 10:43 AM
He Sk, nice modelling job here. I've never modelled a car because it takes so long to get it right I guess...
Goog to see you got the patience and it really paid off.

My comment on the car is more towards the lighting and texturing. This could be improved somewhat to make it more realistic (if that is what your aiming for);)

Good luck and grtzzzzz...

CG-Freak:D

SamuraiSlayer
02-23-2004, 04:14 PM
the details and stuff would certainly help but as cg-freak mentioned, you should try perfecting the texturing/lighting

you should build some kind of display stage to put the car on, to give the car something to reflect. Then put some spotlights around the top, and remember the intensity levels, the more the lights, the less the intensity

spherical reflection maps are nice and quick but if you want a quality render you shouldnt use them. Ray Tracing will provide a much better render. I would recommend you enable all the raytrace options (raytrace reflection, refraction, transparency, and shadows) and then to make it go faster go to render options and put the recursion limit at 2 - 4. Remember though, there must be something in the scene for the car to reflect if you expect good reflections

:)

i cant tell from the picture of you had AA on but it would help if you dont (right about at Enhanced Low)

arrighty then... :)

sKb875
02-24-2004, 11:12 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the comments. :D
I made a small scene, it's not much, but you can kind of get the idea. Let me know what you think of the renders...

sKb875
02-24-2004, 11:13 AM

SamuraiSlayer
02-24-2004, 01:39 PM
i see raytracing!!!

the window should be very reflective, and the body isnt reflective enough

well there's today's C&C from me :)

sKb875
02-24-2004, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the C&C :)
Is this better?

SamuraiSlayer
02-24-2004, 07:16 PM
lookin a LOT better... here's some more suggestions

turn the specularity up, and the glossiness down

turn lens flare on for all of your lights, turn off "red outer glow" and "central ring" (and "glow behind objects, if its on) and turn on "anamorphic streaks" (not anamorphic distortion) and turn off "random streaks". Your car will then reflect the lens flares, giving it a more realistic look. (because on your render you cant see the source of the light) get what im sayin?

well there ya go, some more tips

btw, are the windows supposed to be tinted?

sKb875
02-24-2004, 08:18 PM
Hey man, before I go on again, I'd like to thank you very much! :D Thanks alot for your time and comments. :D

Here's a render with what you said to do.

Oh ya, the windows are tinted because I don't have an interior in it. :(

SamuraiSlayer
02-24-2004, 08:46 PM
ur welcome :)

its gettin better... but we're not there yet... :)

it doesnt have that showroom look yet, it should reflect the lights that are shining on it... does anyone know how to reflect lens flares?

do i see radiosity?...

do ya got all the raytracing on?

the windows arent transparent enough (if they are transparent at all :confused: ). Even if you havent modeled the interior, you should go to the surface editor and make the body double sided and then make the windows about 80% transparent, and then put refraction on about 1.05

and in case you dont know, (to save you some hassle), you can make objects double sided by just going to the surface editor and checking "double sided", instead of doing it in modelor, which is un-undoable. (dunno how much you know about LW, sorry to treat you like a baby, in case you know all this) :)

well thats all for now, there's probably more i could point out but we can just go step by step because afterall i do pretty much have a whole bunch of time to kill right now

-SS

themaxx
02-24-2004, 09:24 PM
coming along nicely.

i think the scene could be improved with some lighting tweaks. the lighting seems flat. if your ambient is above 5% i'd say cut it back.

nice work.

sKb875
02-24-2004, 09:46 PM
Well, I just rendered it.. And right when I clicked 'continue' LW Crashed.. So I guess I'll render it tomorrow morning. So get back to you then :)
Thanks SO much for you help!!!

sKb875
02-25-2004, 11:10 AM
I know kind of a lot about Lightwave, so you don't need to be too basic, but it doesn't matter because I like to make sure that I have everything right. :)

My Ambient is set to 0%. Maybe I should change the light type? Right now I'm using 4 point lights. they're each 24.69 %.

Here are 2 more renders that I did...

sKb875
02-25-2004, 11:11 AM
render 2

SamuraiSlayer
02-25-2004, 03:18 PM
you should probably use spot lights to get a more realistic render

Exception
02-25-2004, 03:51 PM
Hi there,

Seen your progress through the project and Id like to give a few pointers. (in no particular order)

First the glass:
Use a fresnel shader. glass is more reflective at an angle than it is straight on. Same with transparency. No need to refract, only takes up rendertime.

The metal surface:
Car paints are in continuous development. sometimes more than 8 layers of coating are applied to get exactly that special sheen. Dont ever think you're gonne get away with just setting the basic lw surface properties to get a decent looking car material. You need to have some gradients in both the diffuse and the reflectivity values at least. More reflective the steeper the angle, and lower diffuse. These add to eachother. this makes the car color turn up more on traight-on surfaces and makes it nice and shiny on rims.

The lighting:
I wouldnt so much touch the lighting now. What is important with cars is that they reflect all those light sources so nicely. You can do this with specularity, but that just looks crap. What you do is make a new layer in the object and put square or circular polygons roughly the size of a light where the lights are, facing the car. The surface of these polygons should be self luminous with a high value, say 500% or so. If you use radiosity, turn off the radiosity for that object layer (it wouldnt matter much, but I would do so anyway).
What you will get is the car reflecting those very bright polygons as white dots. Now you add the Corona plugin. Make it have a low value (standard is 50%) like 15 or 20%. The white dots in your car surface will now glow up like real light that reflect. Better still, you can duplicate all those polygons and have more shimmers on the car. you can try large white rectangular ones to simulate door and window openings, like the big window in a showroom.

Good luck!

sKb875
02-25-2004, 04:01 PM
OK, I changed the light type, and the render time went up... It seems pretty good, you let me know what you think. :)

sKb875
02-25-2004, 04:46 PM
Aiight, I changed a few things.. played with the bump map... Added the Corona plugin at 20% and changed the lights back to point lights...
I'll try it again with the spot lights, but here is what I did.
If there is some settings that you know of for the bump map, please let me know :)

SamuraiSlayer
02-25-2004, 05:25 PM
the glass doesnt look reflective enough...

for the reflection, use a procedural texture, (turbulence will work), and make the size real real small, like .01 meters. This'll give ya a sparkly reflective texture

lets see how that works

[edit:] you may want to put the procedural texture's layer opacity on about 50%, so you can get a more even reflection.
You may also want to do the same with the specularity as you do with the reflection.

sKb875
02-25-2004, 06:25 PM
Hey, thanks again.. Don't mind the windows.. I like the point lights better than the spot lights, I think it makes it more real. :D

sKb875
02-25-2004, 06:56 PM
Haha 23 minutes later... Here's it with the fixed windows. :)

sKb875
02-25-2004, 06:57 PM
Ooops...

SamuraiSlayer
02-26-2004, 06:36 PM
i still dont think the windows are reflective enough...

if you play around with spotlights and radiosity then after a while you'll get it more realistic than the point lights

-SS

sKb875
02-27-2004, 10:05 AM
Hey, I played with the spot lights, and this is what I came up with. :D
Radiosity is now set to 200%, and the 1st render is with the bump map, and the 2nd one is without. The render time is about the same time (27m) Let me know which one you like better. :D

sKb875
02-27-2004, 10:06 AM
This is without the bump, I think is better.

sKb875
02-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Playing around with it more...

Exception
02-27-2004, 01:51 PM
Hi

why dont you add the bright white poly's as I suggested? you will see what a huge difference it will make.

sKb875
02-27-2004, 03:47 PM
Hey, I was going to do that, but I don't get what I was supposed to do.. Sorry.. Can you explain it again? :)