PDA

View Full Version : sasquatch error??

burvis
02-20-2004, 07:14 AM
Large feild of grass (simple stuff), but we get this weird crease or horizontal line render error when we render over the network (screamernet), it's right in the center of the frame. but when rendering from a single LW instanse it works ok? Is there a problem with network rendering?

burvis
02-20-2004, 08:04 AM
anyone who can help??

cornbreadandham
02-20-2004, 08:26 AM
i'm just a rookie, but maybe increasing the segment memory could help, or lowering the number of threads so the renderer doesn't split the frame up into sections for rendering...just a guess, good luck

Sean Martin
02-20-2004, 10:44 AM
the same thing was happening to a guy over in the Mac forum, LWSN was spliting the frame. I don't know if he ever solved it but try reading this thread.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17722

mlinde
02-20-2004, 10:10 PM
Can you post a screenshot of the wireframe from that same setup? Wondering if it's a polygon issue in relation to SAS.

burvis
02-20-2004, 10:22 PM
I'll get one up tomorow. It's just a large subpatch mesh wth a few rock objects poking through. There was a setting in sas, allow subdivision last wich I checked? maybe it's a subpatch object thing? Although I've used sas on subpatch objects in the past.... very argghravating. Thanks for your reply.

mlinde
02-22-2004, 05:15 PM
hey burvis, check your geometry, and see if you might have two polygons in the same place. That could cause the error, perhaps.

burvis
02-22-2004, 06:43 PM
It's not that, here is a screen of the scene, it's just a large mesh (subpatch)? has to sas?

mlinde
02-22-2004, 10:42 PM
Have you tried rendering with just the subpatch ground (no other objects in the scene)? When I first saw it I thought it might me a sharp drop-off in the geometry (like a steep hill), but you might try rendering with just the grass plain, to see if it's caused by something else, or the plain/sas itself. Also, what does it render like w/o SAS turned on?

stib
02-22-2004, 11:02 PM
Are all your LWSN nodes on the same platform? I've heard that there can be differences between platforms when rendering procedural textures. I've never seen it myself, but maybe it causes an issue with sasquatch..

burvis
02-23-2004, 07:24 AM
I surrender... gotta move on with this project. It's not a network thing, it still has the error with an F9 (although originally thought it was only during a SN render). I've tried everything, different shadow options, fog no fog, re-building the scene, multithread and single thread renders, even painting individual frames (don't try this as you will lose much time and there is no way to match one frame to the next...eeesh. Let the frustration just stop!

Thanks for the replies freinds.

Chris
Check out my All Lightwave web site

www.burningvisions.com

mlinde
02-23-2004, 09:20 AM
Chris, post the SINGLE OBJECT of the terrain. We still may be able to help.

anieves
02-23-2004, 12:24 PM
is it Saslite or the full sasquash?

Alliante
02-23-2004, 01:40 PM
[/lurk]

due to the number of vertices, I'd say it's SasFull -- but it's not my project I'm just an observer.

[lurk]

burvis
02-23-2004, 01:49 PM
Again, thanks for he suggestions but we run a busy animation house and I had to just move on, I ended up cutting down the sas coverage and fiber length and seemed to have got away with still incorperating sas in this scene, although I can still detect a slight line in the animation.

This is the first time using this LW user group stuff, I'll be back here often, thanks again

Let me know what you think of some of our work http://www.burningvisions.com/HOME2002.html

Chris

w_will
02-24-2004, 01:22 AM
Sorry you had to move on. In the future try posting to the worley group. You can find the links on the worley web page. Rowsby, Steve, Dan, and several other folks on the forum are Sas experts and should be able to help fix most problems or confirm a bug in just a few hours. I was unaware of the mailing list until I found a problem with G2. Hope that helps.

Exception
02-24-2004, 05:26 AM
Hi!

Looks good!
Can you tell me how much time those renders took?

I seem to have a problem where all my sas-renders are 22 minutes, independent of resolution and length of the fibers. Really weird. Does anyone know what makes sasquatch go really fast? small number of lights? Shadowmapped lights instead of raytraced? Small polygon count? small number off fibers doesnt help...