PDA

View Full Version : Preview: Expresso - Face Expressions Express

Kvaalen
02-20-2004, 05:19 AM
Expresso is a LightWave plugin that automaticlly creates a face setup for your characters.
It should be released soon.

Here is a preview showing it in action:

Expresso in action (http://mapage.noos.fr/samuelLK/Plugins/Expresso/ExpressoPreview.avi) ( less than 1Mb)

http://mapage.noos.fr/samuelLK/Plugins/Expresso/ExpressoPreviewT.jpg (http://mapage.noos.fr/samuelLK/Plugins/Expresso/ExpressoPreview.jpg)
Click for a larger image

I'd really like to hear your opinions and comments about it.

If anyone would like to help beta test this plugin and has characters of his/her own that could be used (or even if he/she doesn't but would still like to help), please email me at: [email protected]

samartin
02-20-2004, 05:34 AM
Looks sweet, how easy is it to incorporate into your own characters? And will this be a free plug-in (or very cheap)?

I ask cos' of T4D plug-in which looks like it has the same elements for control and animation rigs to boot....

Kvaalen
02-20-2004, 03:05 PM
I suppose this image should answer your question about how easy it is to incorporate:

http://mapage.noos.fr/samuelLK/Plugins/Expresso/Manual/Man_03.jpg

Each popup menu gives you a choice of all the morphs that are included in your model. The only inconvenience is that before running the plugin you have to run a one time setup plugin where you just have to locate a file.

As for the pricing...
People say that giving a plugin a price makes it seem more professional and if you don't it will be looked down upon and won't be thought of as professional. I really believe this is true, and I did put lots of effort into this plugin (mainly because LScript doesn't support creating and applying expressions so I had to create a work around). In my opinion this plugin could easily pass as a commercial one, but I am all for sharing within the community as much as possible for FREE.

It will be possible to donate and all donations will be very much appreciated. :)

CB_3D
02-20-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Kvaalen
I suppose this image should answer your question about how easy it is to incorporate:

http://mapage.noos.fr/samuelLK/Plugins/Expresso/Manual/Man_03.jpg
LScript doesn't support creating and applying expressions so I had to create a work around

Cool plug. However, it IS possible.

CommandInput("GE_CreateExpression "EXPRESSIONNAME \"EXPRESSION\"");
CommandInput("GE_AttachExpression "TARGETCHANNEL "EXPRESSIONNAME");

Kvaalen
02-20-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by CB_3D

That used to make Layout crash for me. Well I just tried it again just to make sure and... well, Layout didn't crash. All the better.
Well thanks for that.

I suppose the reason was because LSCommander would crash everytime I tried to run it and that uses CommandInput. Now that I've solved that problem I guess it works.

t4d
02-20-2004, 06:11 PM
looks really good Kvaalen
that expresso looks very nice

Kvaalen
02-20-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by t4d
looks really good Kvaalen
that expresso looks very nice

Thanks Thomas. I hope you don't mind it even though your plugin does it too, cause after all yours has the big advantage of being a rigger. :)

I just did a little experimenting and I find that it is way too unstable so I guess I'll be using my work around after all.

CB_3D
02-20-2004, 06:53 PM
Really? Under what circumstances and what happens? Ive found it to work nicely, but would like to avoid problems you encountered.

Another way to do this would be to load them from scene already applied to the nulls. Youd just have to replace the channelnames prior to loading.

CB_3D
02-20-2004, 07:02 PM
Oh and the commander crashing thing can fixed by modifying something in the windows registry, but i dont remeber what exactly.

Kvaalen
02-20-2004, 07:11 PM
Really? Under what circumstances and what happens? Ive found it to work nicely, but would like to avoid problems you encountered.

Around once out of four times it would just crash layout (seemed a little random). And when it didn't the expressions were supposedly applied but they didn't have any affect. If I were to remove an expression and then add it again right away it would work. Also every time I saved the scene it would crash Layout (unless I removed/added each expression).

That is probably a problem that could be solved but it would still crash too often before finishing.

What version are you using? I am still using 7.5 because of the bugs in later versions.

Another way to do this would be to load them from scene already applied to the nulls. Youd just have to replace the channelnames prior to loading.

That is basically what it does only it loads the objects that are used as controls with the expressions. The applying process is a little more complicated though. :)

CB_3D
02-20-2004, 07:14 PM
Im on 7.5c. No problems at all. Lucky so far, i guess:D

Kvaalen
02-20-2004, 07:15 PM
Oh and the commander crashing thing can fixed by modifying something in the windows registry, but i dont remeber what exactly.

Yes, I know. I mentioned that I had solved the problem. :)

Basically you rename (or delete) a directory called NewTek (don't remember the path exactly).

t4d
02-20-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Kvaalen
Thanks Thomas. I hope you don't mind it even though your plugin does it too, cause after all yours has the big advantage of being a rigger. :)

I just did a little experimenting and I find that it is way too unstable so I guess I'll be using my work around after all.

No problem Kvaalen
it's great that more poeple are working on trying to get a better way to animate faces happy that your into it too :)

auto signing the expression is alittle too much i think
the animatior need to know how its setup and applying expression take about 5 mins so it's time well spent i think anyway:D

hunter
02-20-2004, 09:39 PM
I for one will gladly donate. Now can you make all my morphs for me?;)

WilliamVaughan
02-20-2004, 09:51 PM
if you need some proton models just let me know :)

t4d
02-21-2004, 07:36 AM
Very cool plugin:D

works very well
it's mine without the expression / graph editor thing alot smoother !! :D

Afew questions but

how many can you have in a scene at the moment i'm just completed an animation using a facial rig and ended up have 11 controls and 48 endomorphs can you have more then one in a scene and can you have 8 way and 4 way with corner fall off controls ?

personally i found the 2 way control not much uses after awhile.....

I'll send you one of my rigs so you can have alook

as for a generial face rig you can do something like this

4 way for each eye brow ( you already got that )
4 way to control both eye bink ( need to add shock )
4 way for checks
4 way for nose or head shear
8 way for top lip
8 way for bottom lip
4 way for each side of the mouth
4 way for jaw
8 way for tongue

this is just what i've worked out over the last few months so
it's only an idea

You've done a excellent job there Kvaalen
very cool stuff :cool:

Kvaalen
02-21-2004, 08:15 AM
Glad you liked it Thomas.

>>4 way to control both eye bink ( need to add shock )

I don't really see why 2 isn't enough.

>>4 way for checks

I find that the cheeks get controled according to the emotions (happy/sad) and the mouth movement (jaw and upper lip). Like if the character smiles, his cheeks will go up automaticly. You don't have to make sure the cheeks go up when you make the person smile. I also don't think having the cheeks go up without the person smiling would be very believable.

Part of the point of this plugin is to give the user as much control possible with the least amount of controls possible. I hope that makes sense. :)

>>4 way for nose or head shear
>>8 way for top lip
>>8 way for bottom lip
>>4 way for each side of the mouth

Ok, I see what you are saying here.
I'm not sure how much they are all needed but some of them would be cool.

>>4 way for jaw

Already there. well it is three way but that is because "up" is between 0 and 50% of the "down" . I hope that makes sense too. :)

>>8 way for tongue
Yeah I think a toungue should be added.

Unfortunently, right now you can only have one per scene.

When making the plugin one of my most important goals was to make it very easy (for someone who has the source) to modify or change the setup its self. There is one scene and one object file that are the controls, these can be easily modified to fit a new set up. All expressions are stored in this scene too so adding/modifying the expressions is done in this scene. As for the code, you just need to update the interface and one array. :)