PDA

View Full Version : LW renderer

Darth Mole
02-20-2004, 04:43 AM
I followed this link from Flay
http://www.zaon.com/company/articles/3d_rendering.php

And it makes for interesting (if slightly biased) reading. The author suggests that LightWave's native renderer is the only one worth discussing in the same context as dedicated renderers such as Mental Ray and PRman.

However, it does raise some interesting points, with regards to its ag, speed and feature set. Is it time LW's renderer was updated? Or should NewTek even think about creating conduits to Mental Ray and PRman?

mlinde
02-20-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Darth Mole
However, it does raise some interesting points, with regards to its ag, speed and feature set. Is it time LW's renderer was updated? Or should NewTek even think about creating conduits to Mental Ray and PRman? IMHO, yes and yes. I think that the full, integrated package options of LW make it a great out of the box tool. Having the option to drop into Mental Ray or Renderman would be great, but I wouldn't give up the NT renderer -- have you seen the price on the other two?

eblu
02-20-2004, 12:45 PM
i read the article.

didn't feel the author was biased towards any one package/renderer. Its a huge nod to LW to include it in this list, and a tribute to the vision and care that went into the original development of it. This underscores Newtek's biggest problem with the renderer by the way...

it was done so well that unless Newtek can do better they shouldn't touch it. the LW renderer is Very old, and does indeed have the short comings mentioned, but the quality of the renders are such that they hold their own against the really big boys. When even Maya, softimage, 3dMax, and dozens of other "newer" built-in rendering systems don't even show up for the party.

I, for one, am happy with LW's performance in this article.

Darth Mole
02-21-2004, 03:34 AM
My comment on bias was - I felt - slightly against the Mac, rather than LW.

I agree that LW did very well against the competition, but it does also highlight some things such as overall speed, texture filtering (especially procedurals) and its rather odd way of recreating motion blur.

For the money, though, I totally agree that LW's native renderer is by far the best.

AaronKent
02-21-2004, 02:07 PM
Is G2 just a texturing and shading module in Lightwave that depends on the Lightwave renderer for the last step of it's process, or does it include it's own rendering engine, and if so, how would it stack up if it was included in the article. Maybe Steve is the light at the end of the tunnel.

AaronKent

Turner
02-21-2004, 05:21 PM
I'll say this: LW's rendering with radiosity seems pretty slow, but I'm still learning the ropes and probably don't have it set up optimally.

That said, I've been doing a lot of rendering in Carrara Studio 3, and it's pretty fast. Faster than LW I think - I'm not sure because I don't know equivalent settings.

But, for example, the image at the far right on the bottom strip here:

http://www.andrewsdesk.com/3d/

(testdof.jpg) took about a minute and a half on a G5 2x2, possibly quicker, at 800 x 600; it's HDRI-only lighting though so nothing too complicated.

However, going on interface alone, I will say that as a new user, Lightwave's isn't quite so intuitive - in Carrara you just select your background to be an HDRI image, load it up, and render. Of course you can fine-tune it; in LW it's taking me a lot more time to figure it out!

Darth Mole
02-21-2004, 05:37 PM
LightWave's HDRI is a piece of cake to set up...

1) Load an HDR Probe image using the Image Editor.
2) Go to Effects menu > Backdrop > Add Environment > Image World, and then add whatever HDR Probe image you have loaded.
3) Turn your main light down to zero % (you might want to crank ambient down too).
4) In the Global Illumination panel, click on Enable Radiosity and Shading Noise Reduction. Set Type to 'Backdrop Only'
4) Hit F9.
5) Tweak settings to suit.

Turner
02-21-2004, 06:17 PM
Cool! Thanks Darth!

F9 doesn't quite work yet on my Mac, but I'll manage ;)

Andrew

LightWave's HDRI is a piece of cake to set up...

1) Load an HDR Probe image using the Image Editor.
2) Go to Effects menu > Backdrop > Add Environment > Image World, and then add whatever HDR Probe image you have loaded.
3) Turn your main light down to zero % (you might want to crank ambient down too).
4) In the Global Illumination panel, click on Enable Radiosity and Shading Noise Reduction. Set Type to 'Backdrop Only'
4) Hit F9.
5) Tweak settings to suit.

fabmedia
02-22-2004, 12:50 AM
You have to remember too that LW render engine is 192 bit incompared to the other engines at 128 bit. Naturally it's going to take longer. ALSO LW is known for it's accuracy in the renders.

Arlen

Beamtracer
02-22-2004, 03:29 AM
The sad thing is that it is a surprise to many users that Lightwave's renderer has so many advantages over the other built-in renderers on the market.

This points to a promotional failure. Not many people know about Lightwave's strengths. Everyone in the industry should be aware of it.

Darth Mole
02-22-2004, 08:29 AM
Turner - what's up with your F9??

Turner
02-22-2004, 08:33 AM
Hi Darth -

In OSX (Panther), F9 is assigned to an Exposť function to show all windows. Basically this means it takes all open windows in all apps and shrinks/places them so they are all visible, then you can click to jump to any one of them.

It's reassignable, though, so I'll get around to it one of these days...

Turner - what's up with your F9??

mlinde
02-22-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
This points to a promotional failure. Not many people know about Lightwave's strengths. Everyone in the industry should be aware of it. It's not a promotional failure to those of us who've been around for a long time. Lightwave's renderer used to get a lot of noise. Lately other things are more important, like character animation, than the renderer, so that's where the promotion is. It's just been so long that you noobs don't realize what you've got ;)

Ge4-ce
02-23-2004, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Turner
Hi Darth -

In OSX (Panther), F9 is assigned to an Exposť function to show all windows. Basically this means it takes all open windows in all apps and shrinks/places them so they are all visible, then you can click to jump to any one of them.

It's reassignable, though, so I'll get around to it one of these days...

:D :D :D HAAAAAA hAAAAA HAAA.... Sorry.. I find this very funny! :D I had this problem as wel.. as possible everyone.. just the way you said it.. (not meaning to offend you) seriously.. it sounds like you have to do a lot of reprogramming to reassign the F9 key... :D "gonna do it one of these days" like.. it's a hell of a job and when I find some time... and don't need to use my computer for 2 weeks.. maybe then.. make sure you make a backup!!! or better.. make 2 of them! ;) then be sure you couldn't pull the powercord out of the wall during the operation.. then make sure everyone is at least 20 feet out of range put on your anti-bomb suite. Now open the system controles and choose exposť. now this can be tricky.. so be carefull! click.. BUT NICE AND GENTLY!! on the scrolldownmenu where it says F9 and then choose something else...

and for all sakes.. DO NOT TOUCH THE BLUE WIRE!

:D greets..

Turner
02-23-2004, 04:32 AM
lol...

Well, when you put it that way...

It really hasn't bothered me that much to render from the pull-down menu.. . maybe I'll just try this blue wire here..

Originally posted by Ge4-ce
:D :D :D HAAAAAA hAAAAA HAAA.... Sorry.. I find this very funny! :D I had this problem as wel.. as possible everyone.. just the way you said it.. (not meaning to offend you) seriously.. it sounds like you have to do a lot of reprogramming to reassign the F9 key... :D "gonna do it one of these days" like.. it's a hell of a job and when I find some time... and don't need to use my computer for 2 weeks.. maybe then.. make sure you make a backup!!! or better.. make 2 of them! ;) then be sure you couldn't pull the powercord out of the wall during the operation.. then make sure everyone is at least 20 feet out of range put on your anti-bomb suite. Now open the system controles and choose exposť. now this can be tricky.. so be carefull! click.. BUT NICE AND GENTLY!! on the scrolldownmenu where it says F9 and then choose something else...

and for all sakes.. DO NOT TOUCH THE BLUE WIRE!

:D greets..

mlinde
02-23-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Ge4-ce
Now open the system controles and choose exposť. now this can be tricky.. so be carefull! click.. BUT NICE AND GENTLY!! on the scrolldownmenu where it says F9 and then choose something else. Tip on this: You can hold down key combinations and leave it F9. My expose is setup to be Shift/Ctrl/F9 etc.

Ge4-ce
02-23-2004, 09:32 AM
mmm.. I just coupled it to my screencorners.. upperleft and upperright..

No bottom because when I've to be in the dock.. I always hit exposť..

But now.. I Now and then hit exposť, but this does not weigh against the big advantages exposť has to offer..

It is kind of weird for other people playing with my mac.. :) when they first accidently hit the screencorners.. WAAAOOOWW!! what the heck is this???? is the most common reaction :) then I have to wipe the drewl from my keyboard.. and then I have to hit them because they cannot stop playing with exposť.. (kinda brings memorys back with the dock...)