PDA

View Full Version : exporting to flash

rakennedy75
02-19-2004, 10:56 PM
I was curious if it was possbile to export lightwave to flash. If so, how could I do this. I realize this is probably a plugin but I don't know where to find it or how much it would cost.

prospector
02-19-2004, 11:24 PM
couple of ways

1 Swift3D renders out to .swf files
2 slower but better and cheaper (if you have photoshop).

Render from LW as single pics.
It says you can render as .png files from LW but Photoshop didn't want to seem to open them, so I've been rendering to TGAs and then in photoshop using an action to go thru the folder where pics are kept and change all to .png, then bring them into Flash.
I just show Photoshop what folder to get from and what to send to and it does all the pics by itself.

riki
02-20-2004, 05:56 AM
I sometimes use PNG's but the downside is that they're not Vectors, so if you scale the image in Flash it will look pixelated. Plus they quickly add weight to the end file size.

I'm not a big fan of Swift, but I think the Plugin version is much better than the stand alone APP. You be best of to trial the demo before buying.

There are some other options as well, such as cell shade renderring>Streamlining and/or Trace Bitmap.

Also Flicker which I haven't checked http://www.thirdwishsoftware.com/flicker.html

mlinde
02-20-2004, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I tried the demo of Swift, and on a fairly complex object the final SWF was close to 1MB due to either (a) my modeling inadequacies, or (b) Swift's computational inadequacies.

It would be a great tool for simple objects or scenes, but complexity kills bandwidth with Swift.

big back comics
02-20-2004, 01:45 PM
Well here is what I have found. And I have been looking.

First of all Flicker is no longer being developed so that is not an option.

I haven't played with Swift 3d (the lw plugin because there is no demo available :( ) but the same technology (RAVIX) is used in VectorStyle which is a plugin for Carrara Studio 3 and I believe it is also used in the Maya plugin. Complex scenes will bog down no matter what. I have used Vector Style for Carrara and it gets good results on simple scenes and objects. The other thing to consider is the need for tweaking the .swf file from within Flash itself depending on interactivity of the final product, which would require having the Flash authoring environment. Any animation/objects coming out of Swift, or VectorStyle wouldn't have any interactivity, or very little.

As of right now, your best bet in my opinion is to assess your work in terms of complexity. If it is a fairly complex scene, you may better better to use Flash (the application) to encode actual video and distribute the .swf as video. If they are fairly simple objects and or animation then any of the above plugins will work ok. Or as described above, using Flash, or Freehand to trace the bitmap squences and turn them into vectors.

One other application I have found that imports Lightwave scenes and objects is Axel from Mind Avenue. It can export .swf files or files viewable with the Axel plugin. One of the only restrictions with Lightwave interactivity relates to character animation. For example Axel has its own boning system and doesn't import character animation data.

One other idea I have been playing with is using the .fbx format and motion builder. Motion builder exports .swf files and integrates well with Lightwave objects, and animation data. But I haven't done any testing on this in practise yet.

Hope this helps,
Thanks,

rakennedy75
02-20-2004, 02:13 PM
thanks for the suggestions