PDA

View Full Version : LightWave Eight "Fever" Demos Part 14

WilliamVaughan
02-19-2004, 09:36 PM
If you catch a fever or any other symptom that I currently have from watching these videos....don't come crying to me....you asked for it :)

Blurry eyed and my temp has been up to 104 today....but I'm keeping my promise Hrgiger :P

Skip down to Part 14 for the latest demos....

LightWave Eight Demo Videos

Here is the current list of videos showing off some of the exciting new features in LightWave Eight. More are on the way so stay tuned.

Note: Right Click on Link to Save the movies.

Part 1:

Cloth FX- Cloth Dynamics in action: 32.5 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/ClothFx_001.avi

Hard FX- Hard Body Dynamics in Action: 62 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/HardFx_001.avi

Soft FX- Soft Body Dynamics in action: 42.6 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/SoftFx_001.avi

IK Boost Tool- Basic example of rigging a character with new tools:36.8 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/IKB_001.avi

Part 2:

Expression Editor: 8 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/expressioneditor.avi

Hard Link/ Cloth FX: 22.9 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/hardlink002.avi

Part 3:

Modeler Edge Tools: 27.6
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/Modeler_edges.avi

Modeler Layers Tools: 8.17 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/Modeler_layers.avi

Ik Boost Tool part 2: 18.5
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/IKboost_octo.avi

Modeler Bridge Tool and a sneak peek at In-line Help System: 43 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/Bridge_Help.avi

Part 4:

Meta Link Example: 12 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/metalink.avi

Save Incremental Demo: 12 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/savedemo_001.avi

Intro to Dope Track: 11 Meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/dopetrackintro.avi

Part 5:

Hidden Line View Mode in Modeler: 5.6 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/HiddenLine.avi

Texture Wire View Mode in Modeler:50 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/texturewire.avi

Move TCB Tool: 8 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/MoveTCB.avi

Part6:

Fix poles with a glimpse of Make Pole: 10 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/fixpoles.avi

Rotate Skelegons:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/rotateskelegons.avi

Part 7:

Render Arbitrary: 4 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/arbitrary.avi

Exclude Lights: 5.5 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/excludelights.avi

Part 8:

Dynamics Test: 1 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/fxtest_divx.avi

Selection Sets: 5 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/selectionsets_new.avi

Part 9:

Scale Hierarchy: 10 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/scalebones.avi

Split Bone and Joint Move: 8 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/split_jointmove.avi

Split Bone part 2: 3 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/bonesplit2.avi

Part 10:

Bone Twist: 22 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/Bonetwist2.avi

Bone Fuse: 2 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/bonefuse.avi

Joint Move Part 2: 6 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/jointmove2.avi

Tip Move: 6meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/tipmove.avi

Using some of the New Bone Tools on a Rig: 33.6 meg
Tools Used: Tip Move, Bone Split, Mirror Hierarchy, and Default Bone tools
Note: This demo does not have Audio.
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/beeman_setup.avi

Part 11:

Bone Connect: 4 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/bone_connect.avi

Star Sphere: 6.4 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/starsphere.avi

Edge Bevel Example: 13 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/Edgebevel_02.avi

DopeTrack Markers: 5 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/markers_dopetrack.avi

Part 12:

Dope Sheet: 3.5 meg
Example of Quick Copy and Paste of frames
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/Dopesheet02.avi

Export RIG: 4.5 meg
Example of exporting a RIG and basic over view of options
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/export_rig02.avi

Dynamic Effect: 8 meg
Example of Using the Dynamic Effect operation in IK Booster
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/dynamiceffect.avi

Invert Connected: 4 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/invertconnected.avi

Part 13:

Multiple Light Manipulation: 2 meg
Example of quickly editing properties on multiple lights
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/multi_light.avi

Open GL image projection: 3 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/project_image2.avi

Translate Plus: 7 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/translateplus_001.avi

Extender Plus: 3 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/extenderplus.avi

Super Shift: 3 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/supershift.avi

Part 14:

Record Motion: 3 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/recordmotion.avi

Marker Text: 3 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/markertext.avi

Additional Clean Up: 1.7 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/additional.avi

Cut Tool: 5 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/Cut_001.avi

Cut Tool and QuickCut Tools: 4 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/quickcut.avi

***Quicktime Versions can be found here:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/mov/

***Attention***
You will need the codec below to view these videos. When installing a new Codec it is sometimes necessary to restart your machine.

PC Codec:
http://www.techsmith.com/products/studio/codec.asp

Mac Codec:
http://www.techsmith.com/download/ensharpendecoder.asp

Mac Codec( Direct Link):
http://wcarchive.cdrom.com/pub/bws/bws_48/ensharpen_macosx.dmg

Carm3D
02-19-2004, 10:00 PM
Nice vids, Proton.. I feel bad that you are sick and it's evident in your voice... I would have been fine with you waiting till you were strong. I hope you realized that I was joking in my post when I said being sick was no excuse and to just keep a vomit pail next to you while you record.

Hehe.. I'm funny. :D

Get better fast... And don't work so hard.. 'might be why you're getting sick!! ;)

Psyhke
02-19-2004, 11:03 PM
Wow, what a guy. You're a credit to your company. Get this man a raise! :)

Fasty
02-19-2004, 11:06 PM
Thanks Proton! I for one appreciate your effort!

jamesl
02-20-2004, 12:15 AM
Cool vids, man... but has anyone else trying to view them noticed that the VT3 doesn't play well with the TechSmith codec? Longer vids audio [email protected] out halfway through... first it's OK, then it starts to get crackly, then it just goes out. I have to switch to my Tascam US-428 if I want to hear the whole thing.

Just thought it was ironic,

j

Hervé
02-20-2004, 01:31 AM
Really looks like we'll have a lot to try in the new modeler.... can't wait...

Dépêches-toi Newtek.... he he

badllarma
02-20-2004, 01:56 AM
Recordmotion

woooohooooooo I really like the look of that not really a fan of Autokey as it can get you into trouble BUT that is really cool.

I'm now starting to see why there is a delay in the release. Some MAJOR things going on and know dout a lot of work to get these great tools to work going on in the back ground :)

Carm3D
02-20-2004, 03:18 AM
> I'm now starting to see why there is a delay in the
> release. Some MAJOR things going on and know dout
> a lot of work to get these great tools to work going on
> in the back ground :)

Yeah like in the Record Motion demo, you can see the little yellow key-markers fade out after a period of time. Current LW doesn't do anything like that.

CB_3D
02-20-2004, 03:25 AM
Record Motion rocks.

jamesl
02-20-2004, 04:07 AM
It didn't look like the motion he recorded actually 'stuck', as actual keyframes. It looked a bit muted. I use autokey all the time... never had a complaint about it.

j

sire
02-20-2004, 04:32 AM
I wonder if this Record Motion only applies to IK Booster stuff. Would be useful having everywhere keyframes can be set.

Also what I really would like to have is a Mouse Capture feature. Of course with Auto Key on and letting the animation play one could already do something like mouse motion capturing, but this never really satisfied me, as it's not accurate most of the time. Better would be a special recording mode which only captures the bare velocity of the mouse movement which then afterwards can be used to create or manipulate motion curves.

Yeah I know, perhaps I should post this to the feature requests... :)

Karmacop
02-20-2004, 06:23 AM
Alot of this stuff is starting to look hackish ... I'm hoping there wont be an 'old' time line in the next release and instead they'll just have the dope track :)

phlio
02-20-2004, 06:26 AM
I hope you get to feeling better soon Proton, 104 *ouch!!*. I do appreciate the vids for sure!

I am still learning more on the modeler side of things right now and as exciting as it will be to delve into the incredible new animating tools when I start learning that more, I am very excited about the built-in modeler enhancements you have been showing us. You add all this goodness in the new version of LW on top of all the great books by the cool folx of the community that are coming out and I have to say, this is going to be a great year for me and lightwave. Keep up the great work and get well soon!

Phlio

little5points
02-20-2004, 07:25 AM
I wonder how so many people haven't seen David Ikeda's tools until now

samartin
02-20-2004, 07:31 AM
Have to agree this does seem to be the impression, but getting it into the core code of LW has got to be a good thing. It does seem they have not just slapped it in there tho' which is great news...

phlio
02-20-2004, 07:41 AM
Yea admittedly, I have Ikeda's tools installed. I am unfortunately guilty of needing a specific tool and not taking the time to look through all of the other pieces which is definately my loss now that I see what some of them can do.

I really have to find more time to "3D Doodle" so I can discover some of these things sooner. I also agree however that having them as a part of the core set of tools will help bring these things more to the attention of the hobbyists like myself. I'm glad they're bringing these tools into the out-of-the-box toolset... makes me happeh! :)

Phlio

pixym
02-20-2004, 08:21 AM
Nothing about Rendering enhancement...
:rolleyes:

Hervé
02-20-2004, 08:41 AM
.... well there is the super anticipated worley FPrime....

pixym
02-20-2004, 08:48 AM
FPrime does not seem to make the final render Hervé.

evenflcw
02-20-2004, 09:24 AM
- Marker text, real nice!

About new Modeler tools not being "slapped on"? They don't look all that integrated to me. However, I personally don't think it matters that much as they work fine either way. Really integrating them probably wouldn't mean much in the way new features, and is imo mostly usefull for lscript/plugin-developement, and not too many do that.

samartin
02-20-2004, 09:47 AM
Yeah I know what you mean, I guess on both parts it is truthful to a certain extent.

IE. I imagine edges do not work in symmetry mode, so I guess that's just been slapped into the core.

however

The supershift does work with several layers according to a post from proton a while ago. I guess it's just sit tight and wait now...

harlan
02-20-2004, 10:16 AM
Cool...very exciting videos. I'm intrigued.

Oh, and I, like Jamie pretty much always work with AutoKey turned on. I've heard some of the reasoning behind not using it, but I can probably count on one finger the amount of times I've turned it off.

I kind of dig the Marker Text capability - very nice.

CB_3D
02-20-2004, 10:38 AM
I´d love to see LS commander for modeler next!:D

CB_3D
02-20-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by pixym
FPrime does not seem to make the final render Hervé.

Who said that?;)

Exper
02-20-2004, 10:43 AM
Great news... guys! :D

anieves
02-20-2004, 10:52 AM
when we saw the first marker vid. we were talking about how cool it would be to have text on the marker and well, I'll be damn!!!!:D

hrgiger
02-20-2004, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the videos Proton! It really does make the waiting a little easier. Nice stuff there in Layout. The modeler stuff looks like a nice addition as well, but like Pixym, I would like to see some videos on anythign render related eventually here.

Damn Pixym, if that's not a final render in F Prime, it's pretty close. And Worley is calling it a renderer which they never called G2. They said they're going to release more details next week so we'll just have to wait and see....I'm curious to see if it works with radiosity. If it does, I'll buy it and damn the costs.

dilaima
02-20-2004, 04:31 PM
as much as i'm sure [8] have no much improvement in rendering or rendering speed, i'm sure that [8.x] will have more rendering stuff to come including speed.on the other hand believe that, Fprime can't support radiosity or caustics in real time, cause if it can, it'll b the most advanced renderer engine on the market since cg history start to 10 coming years ;)
i'm pretty sure that it's just a raytracer robust renderer not more.
sure hope to b wrong.

multipasser
02-20-2004, 08:53 PM
I believe in F prime, more and more. I bet it speeds up all native LW calculations. About Third party plugins, its only guessing.

On topic now: Thanx for the great Vids. But still nothing about Surfacing/Shaders/Rendering/Radiosity.

Are you not allowed to talk about it from newtek? Or isnt there any enhancement what so ever!? I'm dying to know.

Otherwise, f Prime is the thing to get.

jamesl
02-20-2004, 11:59 PM
[i]it'll b the most advanced renderer engine on the market since cg history start to 10 coming years ;)
[/B]
I have no idea what you just said. :eek:

j

wacom
02-22-2004, 02:46 PM
Though not everything is "getting done" I'm glad to know that the new NewTek team is listening close to what goes on here on the discussion board. If I'm not mistaken the idea for marker text was given by a user after Proton showed the first marker video- and now just shortly after we have that idea in place.

WilliamVaughan
02-22-2004, 05:50 PM
it was actually added before the talk here but wasn't ready for that demo....but we are listening and will continue to do so.

FYI- members of teh dev team as well as members of teh marketing dept, and other departments frequent the forums....that's one of teh things I love about NewTek :)

jr_sunshine
02-22-2004, 06:08 PM
Please take this comment for what it is intended... I appreciate very much all that the [8] upgrade deal has provided to LW users.

No offense to you Proton... but admitting the dev team is adding features during the beta testing is not a good idea.

I for one will begin to believe NewTek is not being very honest with us regarding the status of the [8] product and the reasons for NewTek's missing the initial "estimated" release date.

WilliamVaughan
02-22-2004, 06:49 PM
I guess you mis read what I typed....The Marker Text was not ready as stated below...part of beta testing is that features are there but may have a bug or two....That was the case in the Markers for Dopetrack.

I didn't want to wait to show markers at the time so that function was not in the build I was doing demos.

sorry I wasn't clear when I typed "it was actually added before the talk here but wasn't ready for that demo".... I will do better next time :)

Fasty
02-22-2004, 07:07 PM
I knew what you meant, Proton :)

TSpyrison
02-22-2004, 07:10 PM
Proton, I think that you will have to start having the legal team go over your posts before you post them.. :D

jamesl
02-22-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by jr_sunshine
No offense to you Proton... but admitting the dev team is adding features during the beta testing is not a good idea.

When did he do that? He said the feature was already in place but not demonstrated in the vid. Can you please cut them some slack?

j

cresshead
02-22-2004, 07:14 PM
proton..hope your feeling better..you real 3d model looks ace..i'll be having one done as soon as i can get a model sorted for it

re lw 8...it'll be ready when it's ready...no rush..get it right.

jr_sunshine
02-22-2004, 10:40 PM
My comment was not intended as a shot at Proton guys or to start a flame war. Take it easy and take a breath. I think or at least I hope he understood what I was saying. He provided a very clear answer.

Proton I hope you know I was not trying to take a shot. I am a very frustrated customer who expected to have his copy of [8] by now. My comments are just an outpouring of my feelings on the matter.

Regardless.... I thought asking questions and getting answers is what this forum is all about... right? Or is it that this forum is only for asking the popular questions? Some here act like the customer is not allowed to have a voice. Is that true? Is that what some here believe?

mlinde
02-22-2004, 10:49 PM
People should be and are allowed to express frustration here, I think. Plenty of people have, anyway.

As for release dates, I guess I'm a fan of functional software worth the price, so a slipped release date isn't so bad. What would be worse is if we didn't even know 8 was in progress until it existed. That's sort of the other end of the spectrum here -- take a chance with announcing a release date (and possibly missing it) or don't say a damn thing until the release is available. Tough call for a developer. I (perhaps alone here) applaud Newtek for both trying to schedule a release date publicly, and willinging dropping it when the product wasn't up to snuff on the release date.

I'd rather have a solid LW[8] this year than 8.0 in December, 8.0a in January, 8.0b in February, 8.0c (released and quickly withdrawn) in March, and so forth. The better the initial release, the more time NT has to to work on features and upgrades for the next release, rather than scrambling to patch errors.

jr_sunshine
02-22-2004, 10:54 PM
What if we don't see [8] until September 2004. Will you be upset then?

That's my point in this whole discussion. When is too long to wait?

ericsmith
02-22-2004, 10:55 PM
Oh, grow up. You just miscontrued Proton's statement to push your own bias, which you have made more than clear all over this forum.

But to say that your question wasn't okay because it isn't a "popular" one is just juvenile, especially considering there wasn't even a question in your post. Just an inflamitory statement about Newtek lying to their customers, and stating that Proton "admitted the dev team is still adding features during the beta testing" which he flat out didn't say.

It's fine for you to have a negative opinion about the delay of LW8. It's even okay for you to state those opinions on this forum. But try to stay within the bounds of reality or no one will want to hear it.

Eric

jr_sunshine
02-22-2004, 11:00 PM
What exactly are the bounds of reality?

I thought I was being sincere. And even tried desperately to make sure people understood my intention. I guess I was not clear enough.

You are correct in that I could have been a little less over the top on my initial comment.

But where else does NewTek want people to complain? Do they want me to complain here in their forum or somewhere else?

ericsmith
02-22-2004, 11:59 PM
Well, here's something outside of the bounds of reality:

I for one will begin to believe NewTek is not being very honest with us regarding the status of the [8] product and the reasons for NewTek's missing the initial "estimated" release date.

The first quote is simply untrue. Proton never said any such thing. The second one implies that Newtek has lied to all of us customers about what's really going on. There is absolutely no evidence to support this.

As for where you can legitimately complain, you've already done that numerous times on this forum. You can continue to do so. But I think you've more than made your point. Simply re-hashing the same point and trying to make it sound new is not accomplishing anything. Especially if you have to make things up in order to do so.

And for what it's worth, I can understand your frustration with not having a product in hand that you paid for 8 months ago, but try to honestly ask yourself if the comments you are making at this point will do anything to resolve your problem. If you really think that Newtek deliberately deceived you in order to get your money and never deliver what they promised, that would be fraud and you should hire a lawyer. Otherwise, I think everyone here (including the Newtek staff) knows how you feel. If you have something new or valuable to add, fine. But we don't really need to hear you say the same thing over and over again.

Eric

Hervé
02-23-2004, 12:39 AM
.... sorry.... and so what... huh .... what.... cant you just wait... did you ever learn the word patience.... jeeez... do you spend all your time bullsh..ting and moaning about the release date.... leave them alone...!

You 're trying to lock them into emergency state.... tsk tsk....:rolleyes: