PDA

View Full Version : MTSE Endomorphs

SplittingPixels
03-13-2003, 09:58 AM
How about an implementation of Endomorphs which natively allows a series of morph targets to be controlled by a single MorphMixer slider? (ie. Multiple Target Single Envelope, or MTSE)

For example, in Modeller, you create a series of EndoMorphs, each ending in a sequence number (Eyes:Lid001, Eyes:Lid002, Eyes:Lid003). Layout's MorphMixer would automatically recognize the sequence numbers (much like Image Editor does with image sequences), and put them under a single slider Eyes:Lid.

Moving the slider for Eyes:Lid would then be able to apply the entire series of morphs by controlling the blending of each adjacent morph target.

WCameron
03-13-2003, 10:10 AM
I think you can do this with Sliders cant you?

not exactly Native I guess though.....

- Will.

Mylenium
03-13-2003, 10:14 AM
This would sometimes useful, however I think it may be not practical with endomorphs. They are based upon relative positional differences of points and thus not necessarily linear. Also your example suggests non-linear morphing (morphing, where the source is aware of the target shape and morphs along the surface of the target). I wish they implemented that in a clear and obvious way.

Mylenium

SplittingPixels
03-13-2003, 11:08 AM
RE:WCameron
You can indeed produce the same result using the current MorphMixer's sliders manually, but it's a keyframing nightmare if you have a lot of morphs in the sequence... ;) It would be very nice if there was a way to auto-blend between adjacent morphs in the series -- ie an MTSE approach.

RE:Mylenium
"...may be not practical with endomorphs"
It's very practical, and would be quite easy to implement actually... ;) When a morph series would be keyed, frame 1 would be the base object, frame n would be the nth endomorph in the series, and endomorphs 1 through n-1 would be distributed evenly among the intervening keyframes/fractional-frames. Blending between two adjacent morphs in the series would be accomplished by distributing the morph percentage between the two adjacent morphs over time (ie, over five frames, leading and trailing morphs would pass through percentages 100:0, 75:25, 50:50, 25:75, 0:100 respectively to create a transition between the two.)

"...your example suggests non-linear morphing"
Simulation of non-linear morphing is one possible application, however this technique should be considered to be a progressive, multi-stage transformation that is what it is. :)

Danner
03-17-2003, 07:40 AM
you could always save out your morph targets out indidualy and load them into layout, target them acordingly and click on the MTSE button =P

faulknermano
03-18-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by SplittingPixels
[B]
RE:Mylenium
"...may be not practical with endomorphs"
It's very practical, and would be quite easy to implement actually... ;)

i agree. it's easy enough that even i implemented myself (http://thespread.topcities.com/NonLinearMorphDM.zip -> just dont use it with lw7.5b because the displacement map of lscript is broken).

the only problem with the script, amazingly enough, if the limitation of lscript. when people were telling me that they were ACTUALLY using it for something i was surprised. for me, nonlinearmoprhdm was just an experiment. if someone turned the idea into a displacement SDK plug, i'm sure it would be great because of the speed increase, and the more efficient allocation of memory the more effective it can be when dealing larger numbers of targets.

it is not only possible, it there's already. now, hopefully, newtek jumps on the idea.

JDaniel
03-18-2003, 12:51 AM
This isn't an answer but, I've used Follower on multiple endomorphs and created interesting results from 1 slider.

Lynx3d
03-18-2003, 03:07 AM
hm, if i wasn't already working on several plugins...(and none of them works really stable) :D

But couldn't you just create another morph target that does nothing, and use an expression to blend several morphs with it? But i guess that expression is getting a mess...

john_the_blind
11-06-2008, 01:10 PM
hello all !

try this, i do my best :s

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91360

Dodgy
11-06-2008, 03:47 PM
The easiest way is just to use nodes.

In the Deformation node editor add a gradient node and connect that to the displacement final output. then for each morph, add a morph map node and connect it to a Key input on the gradient. Connect anything to the Input of the Gradient to see it cycle through the morphs one by one.

meatycheesyboy
11-06-2008, 07:42 PM

In the Deformation node editor add a gradient node and connect that to the displacement final output. then for each morph, add a morph map node and connect it to a Key input on the gradient. Connect anything to the Input of the Gradient to see it cycle through the morphs one by one.

Dodgy's method works perfectly. He explained it to me in another thread and it really healped me out. If I had time this weekend I was planning on possibly writing a short tutorial about Dodgy's method.

john_the_blind
11-07-2008, 04:47 AM

yes you did it ! more simple that my horrible long expression ;) thx

And to control the mtse, i just put an expression on the scalar enveloppe to be driven by an anothe endomorph (with no point moving)
Now i have to try with multiple mtse like one for the right eye, one for the left eye, one for the mouth etc. Do you thing the "add" mathematical fonction work ?

Dodgy
11-07-2008, 05:09 AM
You could use the Maths>Vector>Add to add two gradients together. There' a Add four node for adding four things together too. If the morphs are are on different parts of the object, they should mix perfectly.

ece3k
04-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Dodgy's method works perfectly. He explained it to me in another thread and it really healped me out. If I had time this weekend I was planning on possibly writing a short tutorial about Dodgy's method.

I need to leasrn how to do this but do not understand nodes at all. Do you know of a tut?
LW 9.6

john_the_blind
10-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Hi there,

Few days ago, i load a old scene with mtse (with gradient technique)...the problem is when i switch the colorspace to srgb, the technique doesn't work. (until if i switch "picked colors to linear...but i loose all benefits of srgb colorspace...). I think LW reinterpret the gradien as a srgb node and broke the result...i've tryed to put a gamma color corect between gradient and displacement node (and other tricks), but it doesn't work on complex morph... any ideas to replace the gradient with anything else ?

May be i have to use my old enormous expression....(see other post in this Thread)
Or use MDD to bake the anim in linear colorspace.....pffff