PDA

View Full Version : Reverse of Distance Dissolve?

Noclar7
02-19-2004, 07:21 AM
Hello all,

I am looking for a way to create the reverse effect of distance dissolve. I have tried the obvious of entering negative values to no avail. any ideas? Maybe Lscript?

something like this:

variable: a = user input;

if Camera Distance = 0
object transparency = 100
Camera Distance = A
object transparency = 0

---

I would like to do this so I can navigate close to some mechanical parts, and while zooming in, parts passing infront of and in close proximity to the camera will start to dissolve.

Regards,
RJ

Axis3d
02-19-2004, 09:08 AM
In the Surface Editor, you could create a Gradient in the Transparency texture for a particular surface. Change the Input Parameter to Distance to Camera. Then you can set the gradient to be completely transparent when the camera is a certain distance from the subject. When you are done, you can copy the layer you just made, then Shift + click to select all the surfaces in your object. Click on the "T" next to Transparency, then Paste > Add to Layers. Now everything will have the same parameters.

Noclar7
02-19-2004, 10:32 AM
Thanks Axis3D,

This technique works well, except I would like to take it a little further. When an object gets closer to the camera it starts to dissolve(ie: the whole object), but, I would like it to start dissolving based on depth.

example:
You have a scene with a box and a camera.
You move the camera closer to the box.
The face of the box closest to the camera starts to dissolve, as does the rest of the box while the camera is moving closer.

So basically its kindof like adding a gradient to your "clipping" distance effect.

wizlon
02-19-2004, 11:13 AM
Gradient on dist to cam does work as you descripe, based on depth. Heres a scene file.

Axis3d
02-19-2004, 05:37 PM
The process I described is a gradient dissolving effect and not a "clipping" effect. Although, you could get a more "clipping" reveal by adding more keyframe parameters to your gradient and pinching them closer together. I think we are talking about the same thing.