View Full Version : Processor Upgrade

03-13-2003, 08:45 AM
With the upcoming release of T3, I am toying with the idea of upgrading my Dual 1.8 Xeons to 2.4. I have a SuperMicro P4DC6+ with 1GB of RAM. Here are my questions.

* Anyone have a ball park figure of cost (I am checking with a dealer but would like to get a consensus)

* Is this upgrade worth the cost?

* Should I simple stay status quo with the Dual 1.8's. Right now my system runs great.

Guess I am looking for opinions before I sink any cash into this venture.

03-13-2003, 09:00 AM
I've recently purchased a T2, spending a few thousand on a new machine (dual 2200 Athlons) and won't be upgrading mine for a while yet.

I don't really push the envelope for resources, though, with my wedding and other event videos. If you have more demanding projects it may be worth your while.

03-13-2003, 09:22 AM
Ray, I'm always one to suggest "More Power".
However, if you're doing well with your system, I'd stay put for now. From what I gather, T3 will optimize the power of Toaster even a little more.

Since prices for faster components keep dropping while they keep getting better, I'd wait till you come closer to needing that power.

Then when you make that investment, you'll get even more bang for the buck.

I can't believe I'm suggesting holding off, :eek: , but for now, it seems to make sense.

03-13-2003, 09:53 AM
i can get u 2.6s for 250 each

Brian Peterson
03-13-2003, 03:43 PM
i can get u 2.6s for 250 each

Maybe 2.4s, but that is below wholesale from distributors for 2.6s!


I agree with Ted, hold off a little while, the new chips coming out is probably going to push the 2.4s down even more.

I'm waiting to upgrade my P3 system when T3 actually ships.

03-13-2003, 04:27 PM
I was told by my dealer that 2.4's are the highest I could go with my MB & Config.....Rather have the T3 upgrade then go to 2.4's later. Thanks for all your help

03-13-2003, 08:20 PM
acutally it isnt below cost it is cost my reseller gives me cost prices because over the past couple years our schools have spent 500,000 there

03-17-2003, 08:50 PM
Don't let 'em gouge ya.
You can get 'em for $201.99 here:

03-18-2003, 04:33 PM
Price will drop, that is for sure. If the 1.8 Xeons you have are the older, 256K cache non-HT, then the 2.4s with 512K cache and HT will give you a significant performance boost. Be sure the system BIOS is up to date before upgrading. Also, keep in mind if you are going from dual non-HT CPUs to Dual HT CPUs, you need WinXP Pro or Win2K advanced server to take advantage of the "four" CPUs....


03-19-2003, 01:55 PM

Here's a great link that i always 'goto' for checking prices.


it has just about anything you can think of for computers and price comparisons from various vendors along with discounts if you tell them you found the particular item listed on pricewatch.