PDA

View Full Version : Portfolio

CAClark
02-19-2004, 06:30 AM
Hey, I uploaded my portfolio, if you would like to check it out, and give me some feedback & suggestions etc... that'd be good.

www.lw3d.co.uk

Thanks!

Meaty
02-19-2004, 07:44 AM
Craig,

Congradulations on working on the Xbox/PS2 title. The images shown on your site are fantastic. I LOVE that Blade Turbit in the orange rust.... too sweet man!

I like the setup of the site itself, but from a personal taste perspective, i would change a couple of things.

First, I'll say that i love the color scheme, very warm but not so bright that it knocks me out of my chair... it is very inviting. the background image is perfect.

1. on the splash page, i would add two one pixel wide lines that frame the semi-transparent white bar.

2. when you first enter the site, it comes to a contact page. IMO the first page that should show up should catch the user's eye. If the user wants contact information, they can navigate easily enough to the contact page. Plus, the contact page has no left side navigation, so it throws the page out of balance a bit. That is okay as long as it isnt the first page that pops up.

3. I personally am a fan of slightly more subtle navigation tools. Like on the splash page, the text is nice, thin lines, subtle. But when we get to the main page, the navigation buttons seem a bit clunky. A huge plus is that navigating your site is quite easy and intuitive.

Given the site architecture in place, i would center everything. I would move the bottom navigation bar to the top, I would move the left sided links to the bottom.

all in all, great content and a pretty darn good site that could use just a few minor tweaks IMO. great work mate!

CAClark
02-19-2004, 04:40 PM
Thanks for actually taking a look man! I have taken your suggestion re framing lines for the box on the first page. I kind of agree and at the same time not on the other things. I agree enough that I will look at those for reworking the site design, but as is it would be too big a job to redo the whole thing right now.

As I said, thanks for taking the time :)

Cheers!

cresshead
02-19-2004, 05:02 PM
your site looks cool..the content is top notch...make me want to get an xbox to run powerdrome in!....when's it due out BTW?

nice easly to get around U.I on the site..just what's needed and not too "arty" where you have to guess where the buttons are!

so nice..cool

CAClark
02-20-2004, 04:50 AM
Thanks for you comments :)

Cheers!

Capt Lightwave
02-20-2004, 05:12 AM
http://tothegame.com/xbox.asp?sort=title&filter=p

Cobalt
02-20-2004, 06:23 AM
Neat looking models. Are the textures and radiosity shadow look 'baked' to UVMaps? Are they 512x512, 1024x1024, or larger image maps? Is 2000 - 4000 polys per viehicle or model normal for a real-time game console production environment? So many questions ... but that's what you get for showing such great work!

dwburman
02-20-2004, 06:55 AM
I'm having trouble with your page in Apple's Safari browser. When I click on a thumbnail, a new window opens but it stays blank.

It works in IE though.

You have some pretty sweet renders there.

CAClark
02-20-2004, 08:17 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate you taking the time to look over the stuff :)

Cobalt, much of the realtime stuff uses a combination of shadows in the textures, plus vertex baking for environment specific lighting. The max res of maps is 512x512. The models I have in my folio are models made fro the xbox, and the specs for the engine allowed for up to 10k tri's for hero objects. Some used a fair amount of thiose and some not. The subsequent PS2 models were much lower in poly, but I didn't do the PS2 'conversion'. 10k sounds pretty luxurious, but that's the beauty of xbox game dev!

Thanks for that link Capt Lightwave :)

DW, someone over on CGTalk mentioned an issue with Safari as well, so I will try and sort out a system of diverting non IE/Mozilla browsers to a different image display setup. Sorry 'bout that!

Cheers!

Capt Lightwave
02-20-2004, 11:14 AM
If the game is as good as it looks....you're more than welcome :D :p :D ;)

CAClark
02-20-2004, 04:01 PM
Cheers man!