PDA

View Full Version : Next Gen Scooter

d8ed
03-13-2003, 08:24 AM
here's something i just finished. well.. nothing's ever finished but this is finished enough for a quick 180 frame animation for my reel. well.. come to think of it.. it's not quick. at enhanced med AA and with digital confusion and a couple of area lights it's averaging 16 mins a frame. yippee. any critiques and comments are always appreciated. dont be afraid to tell me what to fix, i'm a big boy i can take it. :D

-george

http://www.d8ed.netfirms.com/WIPComposite.jpg

riki
03-13-2003, 06:04 PM
ah very cool, my only crit is that the line between the wall and the floor looks to clean. I would darken it a bit and break it up more.

d8ed
03-13-2003, 07:12 PM
i was actually debating going in and doing something there. my reference image is odd though.. the bottom before the marble touches the floor is whiter than the rest.. i think it's from the floor getting mopped or something. but i agree i definitely need to dom something there to break up that connection between the two. thanks!

Dave3D
03-14-2003, 04:26 AM
Nice light rig, floor needs to be dirtyer

Dave

d8ed
03-14-2003, 05:44 AM
any suggestions on how to possibly get it dirtier? the texture is procedural. i was hoping to be able to put some pebbles in the grooves but not sure how to go about it.

renatolazzaroni
03-14-2003, 06:40 AM
I think the image is a little too dark. Maybe a lighter wall would outline the object better.
Also, the caustic highlight on the front of the scooter is very strong. It flattens a bit the shape of the mud flap ( ?? I don't know the correct word). The highlight looks a little odd against the general low light of the image.
Great model though (simple and elegant, the hardest to model), and I find nothing wrong with the floor.

Renato

d8ed
03-14-2003, 07:11 AM
yes i've been fighting with the overall lighting in the scene for days now. i was trying to replicate that final light at sundown look. i've got 50 frames to go for the animation to finish rendering then i'm gonna work on a still with radiosity. that should definitely be a bit brighter. i got some pretty damn nice results with it but the render times just werent quite workable. as far as the highlight was concerned.. it's not caustics, just a high reflective cone within the headlight assembly. i did have a glass setup but removed it as it's tiny in comparison to the rest of the frame and just didnt look right. i also removed the reflective surface and tried other ways of bringing the headlight across but none seemed to work quite right. so i left it in there. it's so tiny i didnt think anyone would even notice it :D

i should have an update tomorrow sometime. as long as the friday night partying doesnt start too early =)

Epita
03-14-2003, 07:45 AM
i think the flor is OK, but looks like it has just been cleened. who is going to put a bike on that! great model though, is it Sub p or wire?? wana get a shot up for us???

Epita

renatolazzaroni
03-14-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by d8ed
as far as the highlight was concerned.. it's not caustics, just a high reflective cone within the headlight assembly.... it's so tiny i didnt think anyone would even notice it

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I didn't mean the reflection on the headlight, which, indeed, is so tiny that I had not noticed it :D
I meant the big white reflection on the front curved part of the body of the scooter. In other words, on the part to which the steering stem (??) connects. In other other words, on the curved part above the front mud flap.
I hope this is clears up the misunderstanding.

Renato

d8ed
03-14-2003, 05:35 PM
yeah the hot spot on the fender thing. i'm working on that right now. should have it fixed in a bit. my animation has flickering spots everywhere and i'm not sure why. gonna post a link to it in a bit.

d8ed
03-14-2003, 07:26 PM
alright figured out what those spots were. damn digital confusion. it's more trouble than it's worth. sad it took almost two days to figure out but that's how lessons are learned.

here's the link to the animation 5 mb. has its problems. i think most are related to digital confusion.

www.gluge.com/george/FirstTest.mov

riki
03-14-2003, 08:04 PM
Use Hyper Voxels to create dirt and pebbles. I saw a good tut here http://www.synthetic-images.com/Tutorial/tut_1.htm

One tip which I think could help you a lot is to watch some of the DV garage videos.

See http://www.dvgarage.com/ and look for 'Attention 2 Detail' series. In particular the 'Observations'. You may have to register but I think this section is still free.

I'm sure it will change the way you think about surfacing. I downloaded all their videos I think there's over 100 short QT's all talking about the kinds of issues that a relevant to the stage your at now.

d8ed
03-14-2003, 08:06 PM
i saw some of those vids a while ago. it's been at least a year since i've visited that site. i'll give it a look. thanks for the tut i was just joking to my friend about busting out some hypervoxel pebbles and he was laughing at me ;)

edit: shoulda clicked on the tut before i replied. i did that tutorial a year and a half ago and it looked nice. thanks for helping me find it again. i completely forgot about those little pebbles he had me put in there. i'll get started!

update: darker nightime lighting test.

http://www.d8ed.netfirms.com/scooterPosed11.jpg

d8ed
03-16-2003, 08:07 PM
here's the second animation. not sure why but i've got pixels popping randomly on the renders. also DOF is buzzing a bit. any ideas how to fix these? i was thinking turning up my area light qualities but would like some opinions on the matter. they're currently at 3. this animation too anywhere from 8-10 mins a frame at enhanced med AA on a dual P3 1ghz. As always any comments, crits, are always welcome.

www.gluge.com/george/ScooterAnim2.mov

riki
03-16-2003, 08:27 PM
You've got some obvious elements in the repeating texture

d8ed
03-17-2003, 06:40 AM
heh. stamp tool to the rescue.

http://www.d8ed.netfirms.com/scooterPosed14.jpg

Gluge
03-20-2003, 06:25 PM
I like it 8*)

Scooter color goes nicely with that enviroment...

I like how your dirty'd up the ground some since the frist pic.

I'd say brighten then whole thing by 20% (can use the wavefilter plugin)

and it'll be perfect. 8*)

d8ed
03-20-2003, 06:53 PM
17 frames to go on the the latest render. the FINAL render. i'm not doing it again.. not at 25 mins a frame on my render machine. and i'll give that Wavefilter filter a shot. i'll post both versions for ya.

d8ed
03-21-2003, 04:54 AM
here's probably the final animation. didnt think it needed much brightening so i left it alone. :D

www.gluge.com/george/ScooterAnim4.mov

this ended up being the final still render.

http://www.d8ed.netfirms.com/GeorgeSalibaScooter.jpg