PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Bad Digital Camera Footage

bradl
02-18-2004, 11:33 PM
Lots of D-9 and DV footage we are getting (and on TV) ends up having white clip when we bring it into VT3. The old analog BetaSP cameras almost never clipped as the headroom was up near 200 IRE units. These new digital cameras clip at 100 IRE. Some DV cameras allow for slightly higher headroom for whites and blacks but you give up lattitude in the mids. I am guessing that is what the Non-standard 601 setting for DV is in the preferences.

Bottom-line, we gets lots of crappy footage. Other than educating our shooters what do any of you recommend as far as filters to help out. I have read several articles mentioning ND 1/8 to 1/2, Black Pro Mist, Haze Filter, etc. but wanted to here from some of you as to what you use or your techniques for dealing with extreme back-lit conditions or high contrast scenes.

Thanks,

Jim Capillo
02-19-2004, 03:56 AM
When we shoot outdoors and have a blowout back-lit situation, we always have at least a couple of pop open reflectors on hand to bring up the foreground, thus allowing the camera to close down a bit and reducing the high contrast areas, if there are any on the subject. Of course, you can also use an appropriately equipped light kit if possible...... or simply turn your subject/camera away from the blowout situation. I understand there will always be the situation where you can't turn away or use lights/reflectors. Very few outdoor shoots are totally controllable.

I too, have seen these crappy results from shooters. I don't know if it's ignorance or laziness, but with the proliferation of low cost, high quality cameras, there seem to be a lot more "professionals" out there providing video services.

Maybe there ought to be a requirement with these new cameras that you take a shooters course at your local university before you can provide video to anyone else besides yourself ?????

:p ;) :D