PDA

View Full Version : dvd authoring software

sadkkf
03-13-2003, 09:03 AM
Any recommendations for DVD authoring software? I've looked at Sonic Foundry's Vegas DVD, Ulead's DVD Workshop and Sonic's ReelDVD.

Naturally, I like ReelDVD for pure power alone, but really can't justify the cost.

I'd like to design my own menus, place buttons anywhere I want, create my own buttons of any shape, create motion transitions between menus and AC-3 sound.

It would be great to have the capability of creating "Hollywood style" DVDs, too, with subtitles, multiple audio tracks and angles, etc., but that's probably too expensive.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

:grimey

pgrimpo
03-13-2003, 09:13 AM
For your first set of criteria, I'd take a look at DVD Workshop which is flexible and now supports AC-3. Use that for a while maybe until you get some "big" projects which may better justify the cost of a Sonic program. DVDW is very easy to use, and puts out some great quality video. Of course I use TMPGenc for the MPEG and not the internal DVDW codec.

-Grimps

sadkkf
03-13-2003, 09:41 AM
I've downloaded and used TMPEGEnc. It's great! You're right. I'll use that to encode my clips instead of the other products.

One thing I've read on Sonic's site about ReelDVD that makes me very curious is their boasting about how their software creates more compatible movies than other software. Is this really true and really possible?

Scott Bates
03-13-2003, 09:57 AM
Phil, do you have the AC3 upgrade for DVD Workshop? When I checked Ulead's user forums a few days ago people were reporting problems with it.

pgrimpo
03-13-2003, 12:24 PM
no I don't :( I've just heard of it ;) Have you read anything on the COW about it?

-Grimps

sadkkf
03-13-2003, 12:42 PM
Do you have any input on Sonic Foundry's Vegas DVD? It seems comparable to DVDW.

I'm also very curious about Sonic's claim their ReelDVD produces discs that are more compatible with players. Does anyone have any experience with this?

RayLarson
03-13-2003, 12:44 PM
DVD Workshop is about the best bang for the buck. I do agree that TMpeg should be used to encode since the quality is better. This program will do most anything you need. If you cannot produce a suitable DVD with this program for your needs you need to go way up in funcionality.

We use DVD Workshop and a Panasonic Standalone DVD Recorder for most projects. Also, check out www.yesvideo.com for a great place to outsource event DVD's to. Great quality and fast service.

There, that is my 2 cents worth (and worth every penny)

sadkkf
03-13-2003, 02:29 PM
What I like about Vegas DVD vs. DVDW is the ability to encode 5.1, not just copy it. For about the same price, it seems worth it, but not knowing enough about the usability of each product it's difficult to choose.