PDA

View Full Version : Pointillism (I'm so dead)

MacDaddyKash
02-18-2004, 05:50 PM
I need help. I have an assignment that requires a pointillis type animation. If you're not familure with pointillism, heres an example
http://www.psych.ucalgary.ca/PACE/VA-Lab/Brian/pointillism.jpg .
Its a picure made up of small dots. Now one way I thought of doing this was to make a flat sheet, cut hundreds of small holes in it and then put that infront the the camera so you could see the animation moving through the holes and it would seems like the holes are changing color and the object moving. This didn't work out too well, it just looked like an object with a holey board in front of it (which it was)... I can't think of any other way to do this. Any help would be greatly appriciated. And feel free to ask any questions (I'm not sure how clear I was). Thanks guys.

wacom
02-18-2004, 05:54 PM
If you have photoshop you might just output the frames as stills and then run a scripted plug-in on it. You might be able to pull this off in AE too. Try www.flay.com and see what you can dig up for LW...though I think you should be able to do this right with in LW...

WizCraker
02-19-2004, 11:44 AM
DFX+ can do this to.

MacDaddyKash
02-19-2004, 02:01 PM
Whats DFX+ ? Is it a plug in? I didn't see it on flay.com . Thanks for your help guys.

SamuraiSlayer
02-19-2004, 02:08 PM
DFX+ is a video editing program http://eyeonline.com/products/index.html

kmscottmoore
02-19-2004, 07:27 PM
I see two possibilities:

1. Some sort of post-process. (As mentioned above) Render the animation as frames, then create a Photoshop action to apply either the Pointilize or Color Halftone filter.

2. In Lightwave, use a clip map on all of your objects to break them up into dots.
There is a dots procedural texture, but you might want to use multiple layers to create some randomness. Crust might also work. Another possibility would be to create a seamless dot pattern in Photoshop, and use that as your clip map.

RomainR
02-19-2004, 08:41 PM
You might be able to pull it off all in LightWave.

The following should work theoretically, I haven't had the chance to try it out. Just thought of it as I read this thread.

Render out your animation as an image sequence.

Now render out another pass of the animation. But this time add the half tone plugin in the image process tab. Do a couple test frames to get the right amount of dotness.

Once you have both load a polygon in Layout and map the regular anim to it and then in the object properties of the polygon go to the clip map and apply the halftone render to clip out stuff.

This could be a start to accomplishing the look you need without having to step out of LW.

I hope this helps you out a bit.

Turner
02-20-2004, 06:44 AM
I think that simply the best way to do this is using Photoshop (or AE if if has this effect ) -

Photoshop has a filter called... (drum roll) POINTILLIZE! Yeah!

Here are a few examples of a quick run on one of my paintings, the original is first:

http://www.turnerdesign.net/pointillize/

If After Effects has this, or if you have After Effects, or another program that will run the filter on video, that may be your best bet.

However, the sheer amount of control Photoshop allows is good to get just the look you want, especially if you want to fine tune it with other filters.

Some of the other programs out there like Photoshop may also do this, like Paint Shop Pro, Dogwaffle, etc.

Good luck!

Andrew