PDA

View Full Version : RealViz Stitcher in action

WilliamVaughan
02-18-2004, 04:03 PM
Just wanted to show a quick sample of what you could use Stitcher for with LightWave.

Step 1:

Take a bunch of pictures into Stitcher and link them together...

WilliamVaughan
02-18-2004, 04:04 PM
Step 2- Render to an image (you can also render to QTVR and other options)....

WilliamVaughan
02-18-2004, 04:05 PM
Map it to a disc that has been flipped and teh top and bottoms have been removed. Load it into Layout and instant 360 backdround plate!

WilliamVaughan
02-18-2004, 04:10 PM
You can also create spherical maps as well to insure you can point the camera up and down in your scene...

Steve McRae
02-18-2004, 04:36 PM
. . . is that your pad proton? . . .

cool . . .

WilliamVaughan
02-18-2004, 04:40 PM
nope...it is a set of image sthat come with the app....I forgot where my "pad" is since I've been chined to my desk at NewTek for so long :P

Beamtracer
02-18-2004, 06:18 PM
This is fantastic!

Imagine what you could do with this. Create your own cylindrical backdrops (like Proton's above) or spherical ones too. So your Lightwave model will have a photorealistic backdrop.

Realviz sells two grades of Stitcher, a consumer (play) version and a professional version. I was impressed to find it is the full professional version of Stitcher that is shipping with the new Lightwave bundle. I've always wanted this, but Stitcher (professional) alone comes with a price tag of something over $500, which is more than the price of the whole bundle.

Look at Proton's examples above. I think Stitcher is a pretty cool application, and having photographic spherical backdrops will make the Lightwave renders all the more photoreal.

WilliamVaughan
02-18-2004, 07:27 PM
agreed!:D

Wickster
02-18-2004, 07:31 PM
I know stitcher is cool and all and I swear I want to try it, but what about us who pre-ordered LW8 long before the deal with RealVIZ went on? I want stitcher, I want Image modeler, I want SceneWeaver... Hey Proton could you use your corporate muscle to give us a deal with the RealVIZ Interactive Studio?

Beamtracer
02-18-2004, 10:27 PM
I just had a look at the Realviz Stitcher product page:

http://www.realviz.com/products/st/index.php
There's more examples and explanations on this page.

http://www.realviz.com/products/st/img/st_little.jpg

If you buy Stitcher outside of the Lightwave deal it costs "499 € / $ 580 excluding VAT".

With VAT that probably makes Stitcher alone worth over US$600.

I can think of some other uses for this software. Even for your holiday snaps you could use it to put together a panorama for printing.

Anyone ever tried pasting postcard sized traditional photos in a photo album? They never quite match, because of lens distortion. I think it's pretty clever how Stitcher can automatically correct lens distortion and make a seamless panorama out of multiple images.

This can turn your 1 megapixel digital camera into a 20 megapixel digital camera.

prospector
02-18-2004, 11:48 PM
Yea, this is MUCH better deal than DFX.

WHY OH WHY DID I ORDER LW 8 SO EARLY ???????:mad:

I would like to return DFX please:(
And get Realviz for the PC.

I did load it, looked at it for a coupla days, took it off, and now it all sits in a box on the shelve.

Any body wanna trade???

Hervé
02-19-2004, 12:32 AM
Hey Proton dont leave Image modeler on the side.... I think it's even more killer than Stitcher.... there you could re-create not simple 2D environments..... but 3D environments, interacting with your LW scene, also you could use Image Modeler to reconstruct your 3D rendered scene, and have radiosity for animations without flickers.... altough it will be more for archi-stuff...

Later
ps. sure stitcher is more fun to use than Im, but it's worth a try.... and a couple of years ago Image modeler was $4,000.... he he....

Limbus
02-19-2004, 12:44 AM
Looks nice but the price tag is alittle hefty if you are not going to get the mac deal.

Everyone who wants to do panoramas and is not going to get this deal should check out PTGui (http://www.ptgui.com/). Its one of the best Panorama Stitchers out there and only costs 55€. PTGui does cylindrical, sperrical and multirow panoramas.

Florian

Hervé
02-19-2004, 12:52 AM
One little note for 360 Panoramas.... dont forget your nodal point....

Hervé
02-19-2004, 12:56 AM
good but PTgui is just for PC...;)

A Mejias
02-19-2004, 01:25 AM
Proton,

Can an un-opened un-registered LW-DFX+ Upgrade bundle that was bought more than 30 days ago be exchanged for the LW-RealViz bundle?

Thanks,

ingo
02-19-2004, 02:08 AM
PTGui is NOT a Panorama Stitcher, as the name says its only a gui for the well known Stitcher from Mr. Dersch, and there is of course a similar Gui for the Mac available too.
And as a longterm (6-7 years)user of Apple's QTVR Studio waiting for an update i specially like the deal and getting the better RealViz Stitcher now.

Limbus
02-19-2004, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by ingo
PTGui is NOT a Panorama Stitcher, as the name says its only a gui for the well known Stitcher from Mr. Dersch, and there is of course a similar Gui for the Mac available too.

And where is the difference? Panotools is free so all you have to do is pay for PTGui.

And as a longterm (6-7 years)user of Apple's QTVR Studio waiting for an update i specially like the deal and getting the better RealViz Stitcher now.

Care to elaborate wahts better about RealViz Stitcher?

Florian

badllarma
02-19-2004, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by Hervé
good but PTgui is just for PC...;)

And this deal is just for Macs :)

Ref prospector
"I did load it, looked at it for a coupla days, took it off, and now it all sits in a box on the shelve. "

Oh my GOD! you really need to give DFX a good try it is the best comp software I've used (I've tried all of the top 3) Spend some time and watch the vids and have a play very soon it will become you friend :D

And those looking for image modeling want to look at Cannons latest tool and even check out the bargin bins for Canoma! Both VERY cheepy cheep :D

riki
02-19-2004, 07:35 AM
Looks like a great tool. Does anyone know if it works with 10.3

Plus one tech question. Respower has a feature called Stitcher, which I imagine is the same APP (I could be wrong??). Their online Stitcher system currently only works with .flx
> (flexible) file format. I'm just wonderring if the Realviz Stitcher can handle this?

Hervé
02-19-2004, 08:23 AM
I know it is just for Mac users....too bad.... hum, hey I just noticed I also have a Mac version of LW....

BTw, you're going to have to spend an extra $200 or 179 euros to upgrade to the latest version 4.0 with much improved quality output and much much more....

still $200 extra for stitcher 4 ,0 is Ok...

later

stef
02-19-2004, 09:03 AM
I think that NT has helped Apple to stem defections to the other side (as I am in the process of doing now) with this excellent offer.
Perhaps Apple could return the favor and help NT now to fix Panther bug (Layout crashes upon Graph Editor use). I would like to use my mac LW NOW with or without RealViz...

Hervé
02-19-2004, 09:14 AM
better WITH Realviz.... he he....;)

stef
02-19-2004, 09:31 AM
Great soft, no doubt. Great deal. I spoke w/NT ysdy, since received DFX Monday and the RealViz announcement came on Tuesday. Unfortunately received a "cold" no. I think that at extra charge for shipping it wouldn't hurt NT to show a little bit of magnanimity and send the RealViz box to its early adopters and stauch supporters who found themselves in the crossroads. After all I made all this effort to switch ALSO (one of the factors in my decision) because LW does not work currently on mac (as it should) and I need it thus have to shell out now mucho moola....

Beamtracer
02-19-2004, 02:23 PM
Stef, stop attacking the Mac platform in every single message you post. You and CaptainKirk should get together for a beer as I think you have a lot in common.

Stef, you spent lots of time and effort in the Mac forum telling everyone that they are missing out in the greatest deal on earth (the LW / DFX+ bundle), so it's a bit ironic now that you ring up Newtek in an effort to hand DFX+ back in exchange for the Realviz offer.

riki
02-19-2004, 03:06 PM
Hi stef I don't really think it's in Newteks power. Conditions would be set with Realviz.

Miles
02-19-2004, 03:44 PM
Sorry for the cross forum post, but the post I added to in the Mac forum is lost in a DFX><RealViz debate so I'll try here. My gut is telling me to walk away for another day when all is clear, but I've been trying my best to justify the upgrade cost to support LW's future.
quote:
Originally posted by prajna
The version of stitcher being offered in this deal is 3.5, whereas the current version is 4.0. Anyone knowledgeable on the differences?
http://www.realviz.com/products/st/whatsnews.php

Not that this upgrade path isn't headed in the right direction and IT along with Chuck's (and Proton's) promise to keep up the LW8 video tutorials almost has me there, but it still concerns me that we'd be getting into more apps that may not work with OSX.3.x

http://www.realviz.com/products/req....php?product=st

I just notice an upgrade to v4.0 is another $200.

http://www.realviz.com/purchase/buyonline/index.php#st

Any chance this offer was suppose to say v4.0 rather than 3.5 for the Sticher app?

stef
02-19-2004, 04:27 PM
You must remember well, Citizen-of-the-Lesser-World, my reply to your biased remarks about DFX (my "Hobby Shmobby" post) hence I guess your rancor. Chill out, pal. Yes, I did oppose (and may in the future, time permitting) your gratuitous and biased posts re a [failing] manufacturer called Apple. Since they are 'retarded' in HD offerings I have made a decision to switch once and for all to the 'choice platform' (not abandoning altogether my mac tho and my long term investment in the mac soft). Since new crop of Tablet PC's will arrive in March and I have not bought it yet I simply called NT to see what my options are, since IMHO NT could have given me an option. They knew about my decision to switch to PC platform and their own mac deal. I feel I could have been given a choice how best to utilize my resources. Had I had this opportunity it is very possible that I would have chosen RV since could model in it NOW or use Sticher, while waiting for the 7.5 mac LW fix or a new PC (not sure tho since it is v.3.5 and not 4). I am however perfectly happy with DFX to be totally candid with you and can't wait to use it. At least I can get latest RV on the market and use it on my upcoming Tablet and you can't do it w/DFX (not because it is a "hobby tool", but because Steve's compatibility claims are a big myth).
Yes, NT upped their promotional offerings w/RV for mac users. I do not feel BTW PC users should be whining about it, nor should you feel inebriated by this fact either. Perhaps you had too much of that beer you are refering to in your post.
NT however acted like a ruthless executioner in my case, hence my inquiry. I will not get an ulcer over it, believe me.

WizCraker
02-19-2004, 05:53 PM
Stef's post above looks like one big blob of text. Didn't you ever take classes in school about writing.

Hervé
02-19-2004, 11:27 PM
Hey Stef, for a while I thought you were the Realviz Moderator... he he but you're not.... maybe you received a no because you need to relax... dunno...

In my mail I received a yes, so I am ordering it right now....

I already have Image Modeler, but another seat is very welcome, about the stitcher, yes it is vers. 3.5, you read good Miles....:D

But, trust me the small upgrade considering the new features of V4 are worth the upgrade...

Yes Stitcher 4 has much better algo. for interpolate images, this was a main complain by 3.5 users, but you can live with it....

I'll upgrade directly.... he he;)

Stef, I have nothing against you, but accept the fact you took the first deal, were happy about it, now there is a change , but that's the way life goes... , no?

If you buy a new car today, and after one month, the car co. makes a new one that fits better your needs, then sorry it's too late...., but you can always sell your old one and buy a new one....

Later, Hervé
Nothing harmful....

BTW Stef, when you moved from Mac to PC (like me), you should have asked NT for a DUO LW mac/PC, today you will thank God for this, ... sure the extra duo dongle was a bit more....:cool:

Beamtracer
02-20-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by stef
Chill out, pal. Yes, I did oppose (and may in the future, time permitting) your gratuitous and biased posts re a [failing] manufacturer called Apple. Since they are 'retarded' in HD offerings I have made a decision to switch once and for all to the 'choice platform' As I said before, every one of your posts is attacking the Mac platform.

stef
02-20-2004, 01:24 AM
Hi Herve,

I gave a shot to see if I can get an EXTRA box of RV, paying for the shipping. of course.

Didn't cost to ask.

I am happy with my decision tho, and yes, got a duo dongle.

A bientot...

Hervé
02-20-2004, 03:08 AM
Okeyyy, one last thing future users of Stitcher have to know.... if you want to create full spherical panos.... well it is better to have a special stand for your camera, like Kaidan.... coz you'll need to keep your nodal point centered....

Limbus
02-20-2004, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by Hervé
Okeyyy, one last thing future users of Stitcher have to know.... if you want to create full spherical panos.... well it is better to have a special stand for your camera, like Kaidan.... coz you'll need to keep your nodal point centered....

But check your cam fisrt. Some Cameras have their Tripod mount exactly at the nodal Point (e.g.Canon 10D or Sony F828). In this case you only need an L_Bracket and a tripod. Panoramaheads are also available from Manfrotto and others. They tipicaly cost severals hundred $. Some of them can also do multirow or sperical panoramas. There are also a lot of do it yourself tutorials on the net.

Florian

Hervé
02-20-2004, 03:51 AM
.... cool... any links Limbus ??

riki
02-20-2004, 05:44 AM
Looks like a great tool. Does anyone know if it works with 10.3

Plus one tech question. Respower has a feature called Stitcher, which I imagine is the same APP (I could be wrong??). Their online Stitcher system currently only works with .flx
> (flexible) file format. I'm just wonderring if the Realviz Stitcher can handle this?

Hervé
02-20-2004, 05:53 AM
it is a great tool, yes it starts with 10,1 OSX, as for the rest of your question, I have no idea....:)