PDA

View Full Version : timing and keyframes

cbreton49
02-18-2004, 01:12 PM
I am confused on setting up "time in seconds" vs "frames per second". I always end up having to compress my animations in Adobe Premiere. I can't seem to set it up right from the start so that when I render it is in the proper time. Is there a tutorial out there in preparing an animation or can anyone help me?? (MAC - LW version 7.5)

Elemental233
02-18-2004, 01:28 PM
30 frames = 1 sec in real time i think, 24 frames a sec is real time for film, please if im wrong some 1 correct me..

mlinde
02-18-2004, 01:57 PM
NTSC TV (US) is 29.97 Frames Per Second, often rounded to 30 FPS for ease of use.
PAL TV (Euro) is 25 FPS
Theatrical (movies) are 24 FPS.

When animating, the FPS allows "realistic" motion over time, and syncing with real footage based on the final output. Basically, time in seconds is the total duration of the animation, while that then can be broken down to a certain number of FPS. Example:
A film project requires a 10 second explosion to occur. 10 seconds in film (time in seconds) is the same as 240 frames (frames per second = 24 for film).
A tv (US) project requires a jet to fly over and launch a missle in 3 seconds. 3 seconds in TV (time in seconds) is the same as 89.91 (or 90) frames (frames per second = 29.97, usually rounded to 30 fps)

make sense?

cbreton49
02-18-2004, 02:49 PM
I'm new at this forum and didn't realize I could reply to you, so I posted a reply as a new thread, sorry for the ignorance..

SamuraiSlayer
02-18-2004, 02:49 PM
also the standard USB frame rate is 15 fps, which is crappy, very crappy

cbreton49
02-18-2004, 02:55 PM
i normally use a 12 fps, i quess my problem is setting it up and rendering it out to be in sync. i always end up having to use adobe premiere to compress it to the right speed. i can't figure out what i am doing wrong.

SamuraiSlayer
02-18-2004, 03:57 PM
12 fps?????!!!!!!! is it interlaced?

cbreton49
02-18-2004, 04:54 PM
well Sam, there ya go, i am still learning. no, not interlaced. maybe you can direct me to a tutorial that explains setting up an animation re: keyframes and fps/ts and rendering an output in quicktime.mov and setting preferences as to fps? maybe i am not understanding the whole concept. ???!!!

SamuraiSlayer
02-18-2004, 05:07 PM
You HAVE to have at least 24 fps or else its gonna look like $#!T

First, in Layout, go to Layout/Options/Frames Per Second - and set it on 24

Then, go to Rendering/Render Options/Output Files, checkmark the "save animation" box, choose an animation file, and then set it in Quicktime [.mov]

Remember the Camera Properties tab is also of great importance. For interlacing, you can go down to Field Rendering and choose either Even or Odd first, i dunno if one is better than the other, but i just put it on Even First. That's only if im going to want it interlaced. Anti-Aliasing is also VERY important for the quality of the animation. Instead of having a very large resolution, just leave it at 640x480 (or bigger if needed) and set the AA level. I usually put it at Enhanced Low. Anything above Enhanced Medium is pretty much useless. Im not gonna go on about resolution and picture quality because im not sure that thats what ur confused about...

remember tho, if you create keyframes and then change the frame rate you may have some keyframes that are e.g. between 34 and 35, like 34.5 and you wont be able to delete them or overwrite them unless you change the frame rate back

hope that helps, anymore questions just hollar "FRAME RATE!!!!"

cbreton49
02-18-2004, 07:46 PM
Thanks Sam, I will try that tomorrow at work - camera and AA I am pretty sure I have the hang of, and I also use enhanced low most of the time - it's the frame rate setting in the begining of an animation and then at the end. Somewhere I goof it up!! I do aircraft accident re-creations for an aviation expert!! I really enjoy my work, I just want to be better at it..

Thanks again, will let you know what happens :)

pdrake
02-18-2004, 07:48 PM
did you get your runway lights working?

cbreton49
02-18-2004, 08:11 PM
Hey there pdrake, thanks so much!! I did it, after some perserverence and determination I kept going over and over it and it finally came together. I got the darn light to blink !!
I'm sure it will get tricky when there has to be some 'timing' involved, but I was very proud of myself when I got the light to do it. -with your help, thanks so much!!