PDA

View Full Version : new modeler tool

dilaima
02-18-2004, 10:29 AM
i want to ask u pplz, if a new boolean tool is interesting, if u have any request for a new boolean operation method, that can speed ur workflow and enhace ur operations, curently i'm developping a new one called " super boolean tool"
if u have any request for changing the name, or a workflow for this plugin plz list it, and if u want to join the beta test:
[email protected]
thanks for ur interrest.

hrgiger
02-18-2004, 11:34 AM
I think that a lot of people would request a subpatch friendly boolean tool. Perhaps an algorithim that automatically adds in 3 and 4 point patches where needed when a bool operation is done. Also, I've heard people request animatable booleans.

As far as the names:

1. The bool of the nile.

2. Bool-tastic or Boolerific ( I like these myself)

3. Bool-o-rama

4. Boolean 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Meaty
02-18-2004, 11:36 AM
nice suggestions... i personally like the name

I Pity tha Bool

MrWyatt
02-18-2004, 11:45 AM
what about : " NO MORE BOOLSH*T"

dilaima
02-18-2004, 01:10 PM
thanx for ur requests pplz, @ hrgiger, this request will b the tab #4 in the plugin, it's on the list now, and already sketched, @ Meaty, yeah i liked the name "super boolean tool" too, but i'm searching for a new name, a nickname with one word, @ MrWyatt, thanks for ur reply, but plz don't b offensive, it's not a spam, if u want don't use the mail, u r not forced to give ur though or request to develop something u don't like, let me tell u something here, i'm an architect, and lw user since ver 4, and do architectural vizualisation with lw, now i have time to developpe some plugin to suit my arch workflow, and i'm starting with this tool, hopfully it'll help someone. ;)

@ hrgiger, actually "super boolean 2" in the current state, let u select ur objects to do the operation from the same layer, no need to point forground and background...
it's the firste thing i can tell u for now, as soon as i go far with it i'll inform u.

thank u for ur time.

spiroz
02-18-2004, 01:11 PM
or simply...
..bool

nixx
02-18-2004, 01:17 PM
boo-lean, mean, modelling machine

eeeew ! :p

nick

MrWyatt
02-18-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by dilaima
@ MrWyatt, thanks for ur reply, but plz don't b offensive, it's not a spam, if u want don't use the mail, u r not forced to give ur though or request to develop something u don't like, let me tell u something here, i'm an architect, and lw user since ver 4, and do architectural vizualisation with lw, now i have time to developpe some plugin to suit my arch workflow, and i'm starting with this tool, hopfully it'll help someone. ;)

wait right there, slow down man. i think you most deffinitely misunderstood my intensions. it was meant as an ironic plugin name implementing to the LW user that your boolean plugin doesnt mess up the mesh like a standard boolean often does. by saying no more boolsh*t i didnīt mean you, but the way i often felt LW was handeling Booleans. allways leaving me clean the mess the substract operation left behind. i didnīt want to hurt anyones feelings by my post and if i used the wrong words i appologise, but as i said, it was ironic and more like a hope that with your new plugin there will be " NO MORE BOOLSH*T ".

regards

Guillaume

P.S. I hope this could help sort things out.

dilaima
02-18-2004, 02:45 PM
don't worry MrWyatt, it was nothing, we r looking forward not back ;)
now i hope i'm underst6anding ur request, and it's on the list but can u give more declaration on what's the mess and garbage to clean after current boolean.
and what do u think on selecting ur objects from the same layer, is it a good workflow?

P.S.: the name is choosen.

art
02-18-2004, 04:44 PM
Why don't you make your tool work both ways. With both objects either in the same layout (one selected, other not) or through background layer if it is difficult to select separate "objects" on a single layer.
I am not sure what other people here mean by a clean boolean operation, but to me is means removing all those duplicate points and/or surfaces left after the standard boolean tool. I always have to run merge points after boolean operation, otherwise I get into trouble soon after.

And finally the standard boolean tool does not always work as expected, but I guess that comes from the complexity of boolean volume operations.

dilaima
02-18-2004, 04:58 PM
yes art u r right about the boolean complexity, it's the prob. that cause errors most of the time, about layers, u are not forced to use operation within one layer , u can choose up 2 all forground layers and slect ur objects to do operation, selection can't b hard, within the layer, finally u have pick a and pick b.

Chingis
02-18-2004, 05:35 PM
The ability to fillet the intersection with radius and segment controls. There's a sweet boolean tool for MAX. Search for a thread about it in the feature request forum.

Chris

Carm3D
02-18-2004, 10:49 PM
How about Boolean^3

Hervé
02-19-2004, 03:00 AM
how about Booleeeez !:D

meshmaster
02-19-2004, 10:58 AM
of cool ideas... boolarky

claymation
02-19-2004, 11:25 AM
is there anyway to give it an alternate way of boolening.

You have the way it works now where it cuts out exactly the shapes used making lots of extra vertices and edges that have to be removed

The new way would be for the cutting object to cut existing edges, which would save alot of clean up.

OR have it make the new edges it cut and deletes the old edges it intersected and create new quads and tris from the left over points. This is good for objects that will need to be sub-patched after.

There was a tutorial that explained that last one on this forum somewhere. have to find it.

Those are the biggest features i could think of.

Basicly clean boolean tools.

Jay

triton
02-19-2004, 12:45 PM
Boolean + Generator = Booleanerator :)

Subd boolean
http://cube.phlatt.net/forums/spiraloid/viewtopic.php?TopicID=709

Carm3D
02-19-2004, 01:48 PM
You all got that one, right? Boolean^3? Boolean cubed? :cool:

art
02-19-2004, 02:32 PM
Or:

Booldog

- Take a bite at that object -

or maybe:

Bool-lean

dilaima
02-19-2004, 02:56 PM
@ art, u r the nearest one to the name.
@ claymation, yes sir the boolean errors and garbage are one of the on list features, in a couple of days there will b a beta version.

N.B.: it'll b a good tool to use, currently i need some help in order to finish tunning this project, if any have a lscript experience would like to give help, plz PM me or mail me @ [email protected], in order to finish this project as soon as possible.
thank for all ur cooperations and time.