PDA

View Full Version : Giving text a Glass look

jeremy092288
02-18-2004, 09:36 AM
I have created some text in modeler with the text tool and now I want to make it glass.

I plan to make the text do a 360 rotation and put it in front of a jumb back. Are there any tutorials out there that will show me how to do this?

I am an extreme newbie so please don't..............laugh at me.

Also......How will I import a Jump Back AVI into Lightwave Layout?

jeremy092288
02-19-2004, 12:56 PM
I guess no one knows of any then huh?

AngelDream
02-19-2004, 01:52 PM
ok, it depends on which realism degree u want to get. if you want to get a real nice glass, then you have to create polygons facing inside the text and polygons facing outside the text, the polygons facing the outside is the air surface, and the polys facing inside are the glass surface. the two surface are a bit different. anyway, go HERE (www.geocities.com/CollegePark/9315/lw/tip12.htm) and you'll find something useful. you can achieve some results just taking transparency down to 50% or something but the other is the best way to best looking glass. you'll have to add the fresnel shader also. don't worry, nobody borns knowing Lightwave. good luck

John Fornasar
02-19-2004, 06:26 PM
Also......How will I import a Jump Back AVI into Lightwave Layout?

Easy...

first open your LW3.cfg file in notepad and make sure that .avi appears in the Images line... if not, go to the end of the line, add a semicolon ; and *.avi

so it looks like this (shortened for this reply)

FileType Images *.iff;*.jpg;*.tga;*.flx;*.rla;*.als;*.bmp;*.avi

this will allow you to see your .avi's in the Image selector.
Go into Compositing (Scene Tab, Effects, Compositing) (or Control F7 if you haven't screwed with the default menus) Select the Background Image button, navigate to your .avi and it'll load.

To be able to see it (only in Camera View), go into Display Options ( the "d" key, again if you have the default menus) and select Camera View Background - Background Image.

As you scroll through the timeline, you'll be able to see your JumpBack play.