PDA

View Full Version : I'm a newbie and I SUCK!

Utanure
02-18-2004, 09:08 AM
I just got LW 7, I know I COULD get 8, but I've had 7 sitting around until I got my OWN PC and now I do! Anyway, I'm trying to do this "blood cells" tutorial and even though I have the user manual, it's INCREDIBLY complicated!

So, here's my dilemma:

I'm trying to make a square in the TOP view, and I want to size it down. My mode is "Selection", but when I use the size tool, I see the four points moving, but not the lines connecting them!? What gives? Can someone help me?

CoryC
02-18-2004, 09:36 AM
I am assuming you are having problems at fig. 1 getting it to look like fig. 2?

You should have had a box with 4 sections. Then select the 4 outside points in Point mode. Resize the points until the box is shaped more like a circle. Is this what you did? If so and you are still having problems can you post a screen shot of your problem?

Utanure
02-18-2004, 09:52 AM
I'm assuming that giving the box 4 sections is different from simply selecting the "box" tab and drawing it that way, correct? I DO notice that in the tutorial's screenshot of the box before being resized, that it has lines running the length of the X and Y axis, but I'm assuming that they weren't drawn seeing as how that's not one of the steps. How can I achieve this? Please, bear with me, I'm a newbie.

CoryC
02-18-2004, 10:10 AM
That might be your problem. They didn't explain how to segment the box. You can do it one of two ways. First, draw your square. While you are still making it, put your mouse arrow in the top view screen and use the forward/backward arrow keys to add/delete segments on the width and the up/down arrow keys to add/selete segments to the depth. The other way it through the numerical panel. Start your box and press 'n'. The numeric panel should show up. Under segents you want x to be 2 and z to be 2. Either way you should see your box divide.

Another way to split yout box after it is made is to use the knife (shift-k) tool.

Press f2 to center it.

Utanure
02-18-2004, 10:22 AM
Thank you for the segmenting bit, even with my segmented box, when I try to resize the box, the points sre still the only things that move, not the box. Again, bear with me...

CoryC
02-18-2004, 10:41 AM
Did you select only the 4 points on the 4 corners and then resize?

Utanure
02-18-2004, 10:52 AM
Here's what I do, step by step:

I click n for the segmenting, replace the 1s for the X and Y with 2s and then I click the points tab and right click all four corners then I deselect the points tool and click shift+h for the size tool, I then click the top laft point and try to drag, but when I do, as you already know, I can only get the points I just put there to move and nothing else. What am I doing wrong? By the way, thanks for the segmenting bit. Do you have an AOL IM handle? If you do, this would be MUCH easier!

CoryC
02-18-2004, 11:06 AM
Sorry, no AOL IM here.

I got what you are doing though. The points button is for creating points, not selecting them. On the ery bottom left of the screen there are is a points button next to the polygon button. Click 'points' (also ctrl-Shift-g) and then use the left mouse button to select the outside points. They should light up. Remember to keep the mouse button down. If you unclick the mouse button and need to grab more points, hold the shift key down and click again or use the middle mouse button if you have one.

That should solve your problem.

Utanure
02-18-2004, 11:10 AM
You are AWESOME! I mean, I know I'm a newbie, but you ROCK man! Thanks a bunch! I'm tellin' ya' IM is good and you don't need AOL to get it, it's free from their site!

Utanure
02-18-2004, 11:38 AM
OK, now the "Blood Cells" tutorial says to "smooth shift" how do I do this? It says to select all of the faces and hit smooth shift. Again, this tutorial isn't exactly step-by-step as it leaves out a LOT for newbies!

jin'a
02-18-2004, 11:41 AM
just hit tab, you don't even have to select all the faces, becaus if no polys are selected then it will smoothe shift the whole thang!

good luck, i remember doing that tutorial :D

CoryC
02-18-2004, 11:59 AM
That is Sub-D, not smooth shifting. Smooth shifting is on the Multiply tab (shift-F). It extends polygons like beveling but it does it with multiple polygons. One hint - Select the poly's, hit smooth shift, right click, then switch to move (t) and move your polys. A lot of times that works nicer than trying to move your polys with smooth shift.

Another place to look at for tutorials is www.simplylightwave.com. They have some free video tutorials for beginners that may help you out a lot.

Utanure
02-18-2004, 12:30 PM
I was JUST about to quit the "Blood Cells" tutorial, but you just helped again!

I'm still wondering though, do you know anywhere I can learn to make a sword? I collect medieval weaponry and armor. I'd love to be able to (once I don't suck at Light Wave anymore) design weapons and armor in Light Wave, but I'd like to start simple. Can you help me on THIS?

CoryC
02-18-2004, 12:34 PM
I don't know of any tutorials for sword making but once you learn the basics of modeling, you'll be able to start putting your own creations together.

Utanure
02-18-2004, 12:43 PM
This sucks! Maybe I'll look into the manual again, check the pages, all 1078 of them! Was it this hard starting out for you Cory or am I just not getting this? I won't give up! I got my PC for this! All $1300 worth buddy! No, I've GOT to be able to do this!

CoryC
02-18-2004, 12:57 PM
If you have a descent connection try the following tutorials from www.simplylightwave.com:

LW modeler UI
Bevel a Coffee Mug
sunset - free
red peppers

They are a little hard to find on the site, on the main page look for any tutorial made by Philip and click 'All by this instructor'. You will need a free registration.

For more serious training, Dan Ablan has a video tutorial series available (www.3dgarage.com) that is perfect for beginners.

Everyone learns differently. You just need to find a method that works well for you.

Oh, newtek has some good tutorials up here on modeling different kitchenware (fork, teapot, etc...) They are kind of like a video.

mattclary
02-18-2004, 01:38 PM
Hey, don't feel bad. I've owned LightWave for about 3 years now and I totally suck.

mlinde
02-18-2004, 02:00 PM
There was a sword tutorial in the original "Lightwave 3D Applied" book that came out for version 5.6. If you can find a used copy on Amazon it has tutorials on making and surfacing swords.

Utanure
02-19-2004, 09:35 AM
Thanks, you guys have been a LOT of help, but I still need to learn to model something... something that will teach me the basics of Modeler. It obviously has to be basic (not a circle, just something above that). I need something that will get me to learnm the tools quickly! Anyone can come up with a simple step-by-step tutorial for me... right? I've repeated myself before, bare with me, I'm a newbie.

mattclary
02-19-2004, 10:20 AM
mlinde hit the nail on the head. if you can get a copy of LW 5.6 Applied, you will love it. You can also get any other LightWave Applied or Inside LightWave book, they all have step by step projects.

Phrog
02-19-2004, 11:58 AM
There are other resources you may not be aware of for tutorials. Try these two places

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

go there first for tutorials, then try

http://www.flay.com

for other LightWave related news.

Hang in there, it takes time to get comfortable with 3D!

Utanure
02-19-2004, 12:13 PM
Question. Whenever I shooth shift, I get the icon to change, but I can never get the window to pop up, why? I need the window for what I'm doing right now...

CoryC
02-19-2004, 12:50 PM
What window are you talking about? You should be able to select your polys, hit shift-f, then hold you mouse down and drag it to extend your geometry. If you want to use the numeric panel, you can always bring that up with 'n'.

Utanure
02-19-2004, 01:13 PM
For the tutorial, there's a screenshot of a "Numeric: Smooth Shift: window, how can I get this window to pop up?

CoryC
02-19-2004, 01:15 PM
That panel can alway be opened with the 'n' key. I have my screen layed out so that it is always open on the upper right hand corner of the screen.