PDA

View Full Version : Why Can't Overseas Users, Buy Online from Newtek?

riki
02-17-2004, 07:30 PM
My subject heading sums up my question. Does anyone have know the answer for this?

js33
02-17-2004, 10:18 PM
Probably to keep from cutting into overseas dealer profits and the extra cost to ship from the US to other countries.

Cheers,
JS

riki
02-17-2004, 10:28 PM
It works out that I'm paying around US$100 to my local Lightwave Dealer to send the LW CD from the US to Sydney. That just sux in my book. On top of that we pay an additional 10% GST plus the local dealer gets his cut. All up I'm forking out an extra US$200 for absolutely nothing.

Hervé
02-17-2004, 11:40 PM
I know it suxx big time, but usually when there are int. resellers, you have to go with them....:rolleyes:

DredPiratThomas
02-18-2004, 12:23 AM
It makes no sense, and I've asked them about this whole reseller thing before. For example, you can't buy direct from Newtek - but you can buy an academic version direct.
Other online sellers in the USA will sell overseas, so shop around online is my advice.
Buying from the local distributor / reseller seems to cost more than it should, even accounting for exchange rates and GST.

riki
02-18-2004, 01:36 AM
Here's he response from my dealer

Subject: Re: Lightwave 8 Upgrade Realviz Bundle

The upgrade comes with the full boxed DFX so I can assure you its $100 freight. Although the individual may be able to escape the GST any official imports (as ours as a distributor are ) must include the GST for fair comparison.

The extra cost in Australia is about 5-8% across the board for Newtek product. We believe this is reasonable for local support and having local promotion done here (which must be funded from local sales wholly). The other issue is stock - with the rapidly changing dollar the stock we have on the shelves has cost more than the current dollar value and we can only adjust pricing (as we have ) when new stock is paid for.

I think you will find that Newtek software is much cheaper here than other brnads compared to their US prices - check out Adobe and Microsoft for example. Most Australian prices for these are still double the US dollar price!

I'm sure that's a mistake, I couldn't possibly be getting Realviz/DFX and LW8. So the shipping costs in that case couldn't be justified.

I recently orderred a copy of Inside 8 from Amazon and that only cost US$10 bucks to ship, surely a few CD's couldn't cost 10 times as much???

Also I don't see why I should have to help fund additional future promotions of Lightwave 8 in Australia, especially when I'm preorderring the APP that hasn't even been released yet.

Also it's not fair that I can't take advantage of the current exchange rate. This isn't Fairyland where we can trade in 6 month old exchange rates.

I've placed my order today which means I have to wear it. Admittedly the special Realviz deal makes it better and I'm grateful for that. But I'm certainly not happy that I'm forced to pay more than other people have to pay.

Ade
02-18-2004, 01:49 AM
Who are u going through Riki? Newmagic?
I know in Melbourne there are a few distributers, i might check and see their shipping prices..

riki
02-18-2004, 01:57 AM
Yeah New Magic. I could be wrong but I think they're the main distributor to the other outlets/dealers etc.

riki
02-18-2004, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by DredPiratThomas
Other online sellers in the USA will sell overseas, so shop around online is my advice.

Hey Dred do you know the names of any Dealers in the US that sell overseas?

riki
02-18-2004, 02:05 AM
I like this line on the Newtek Dealer page
http://www.newtek.com/dealers/index.html

Authorized dealers and catalog houses may purchase software from one of the larger volume resellers, and pass along better prices to you!

There needs to be a footnote added to this. They can also rip you off and charge you $200 plus dollars for nothing.

Panikos
02-18-2004, 02:26 AM
Do I need to mention that the two Newtek Distributors I know, are the biggest regional a**holes ?
Out of so many people, they picked up the worst. :(

mr_nebel
02-18-2004, 03:32 AM
riki: when i purchased lightwave last year i did so from the UK and was assured by the store that it was alright, we thought it was going to be cheaper that way HA!, as soon as it entered the country we got hit with 12.5%GST (good thing we had VAT taken off the price at the other end) so in the end ordering locally would've been just about the same price.

then we were told that due to the fact that it was not purchased through the correct channels they could not send the license key, eventually (3-4weeks) things were sorted out but i really don't know if it was worth the hassle just to save what in the long run is not that much money.

riki
02-18-2004, 03:43 AM
I just don't understand why we can't buy online directly from Newtek. What is it that the Dealers offer that Newtek can't provide? Most of the support I get is right here in these forums.

Most of the Dealer websites I've seen are appalling. Often they don't even mention Lightwave, or if they do the information is out of date.

I phoned one Lightwave Reseller in Sydney last September and she assured me that they had copies of Lightwave 8 instock. It was obvious that she had no idea what she was talking about.

I just feel that there's a lot that could be done to improve the distribution end of Lightwave.

Ade
02-18-2004, 04:08 AM
http://www.videoguys.com.au/vg2002/

They any good:?

mattclary
02-18-2004, 05:42 AM
You could all save yourselves some time and headaches and just immigrate. :) We're always glad to have more LightWavers here in the states. Either that, or hold a revolution to get rid of all the taxes. :cool:

riki
02-18-2004, 06:16 AM
Sounds good will have to visit there one day.

Ade
02-18-2004, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by mattclary
You could all save yourselves some time and headaches and just immigrate. :) We're always glad to have more LightWavers here in the states. Either that, or hold a revolution to get rid of all the taxes. :cool:

Hmm healthcare or cheaper lightwave?
healthcare or cheaper lightwave?

Panikos
02-18-2004, 07:16 AM
The dealer I have in mind, literally has no idea what is Lightwave and what is 3D. On top of that he has a reputation for his piracy in many aspects. How can someone promote a product when he has no clue what is all about ?

Someone may have other skills, but promoting a product without knowledge, and on top overcharging is something not pleasant.

I prefer to buy online from the manufacturing company. Dealers do nothing at all. (At least Newtek Europe has activity, and does a decent job - other dealers charge extra money for nothing)

mattclary
02-18-2004, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Ade
Hmm healthcare or cheaper lightwave?

My doctor visits cost me $5. My company pays for my insurance and all my family's. Health, dental, vision. Even if I have 20 kids, they pay the premiums.

plus:
In my 37 years of life, I've never known a single person who could not go to the doctor when they were sick.

private
02-18-2004, 07:36 AM
Newtek has to support it's dealers. Buy selling direct, they undercut the dealers. Most businesses don't sell directly to the public. It's up to the retail aspect to do so.

However, the price should be consistent to what it is in the US. If it is not, people complain, like you have. Unfortunately, too many dealers are just there as an entity, to make a profit and control the territory.

Basically, sucks to be you.

freez
02-18-2004, 09:09 AM
im glad my kites are cheaper in the UK than the US (i fly Flexifoil traction/power kites in my spare time), i often speak to people on the flexifoil forums from US complaining about the cheapness that we get them for,
i even posted 2 kites to the us for somebody after they paid me to send them, it worked out about $100 cheaper as well, all i did was mark the packages "gift/present" and that gets round the tax bit, so it goes to say that some kind soul in the US may be willing to send you what you need (after payment of course) and mark the packages as a gift, would that work?

Beamtracer
02-18-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by mr_nebel
riki: when i purchased lightwave last year i did so from the UK and was assured by the store that it was alright, we thought it was going to be cheaper that way HA!, as soon as it entered the country we got hit with 12.5%GST (good thing we had VAT taken off the price at the other end) so in the end ordering locally would've been just about the same price.

I did some calculations (on another thread) using the prices and figures that Riki was quoted in Australia for a Lightwave 8 upgrade.

The Australian distributer, New Magic, quoted Riki $900 (Australian dollars) for the upgrade.

$1 (Australian) = $0.80 US at current exchange rates.

In the US, the LW upgrade is US$495. Converted to Aus$ and the equivalent Riki should have paid is Aus$620. Instead he had to pay Aus$900. Remember, the US price of $495 already has the dealer's commission factored in.

So the Australian dealer has a 45% mark-up on the US retail price of Lightwave 8. Using Riki's figures, with Australian sales tax (GST / VAT) is 10%, I still can't see why they charge so much.

One of the better distributers is D-Storm in Japan, who know their local market well, have increased LW sales more than other markets, and can provide support and even plug-ins and components of Lightwave.

It seems the Australian distributor is on the other end of the spectrum, providing no support but charging excessive prices. Newtek should cut the middle man out of the equation, and sell to this market directly over the net.

pauland
02-18-2004, 03:55 PM
I think that you guys are forgetting the costs of promoting product in the local market, especially if that market may not be huge. Lone animators may be happy buying stuff using a web page, but marketing to businesses requires local promotion, not just a web page. The overheads for distributors are going to be different in different countries and I suspect the lowest overheads are in the U.S.

No doubt there are good distributors and there are bad ones.

I'm sure it all seems simple and I'm equally sure it's not.

Personally, I think paying a bit more for a local distributor is worth it.

Paul

Freak
02-18-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by riki
I just don't understand why we can't buy online directly from Newtek. What is it that the Dealers offer that Newtek can't provide? Most of the support I get is right here in these forums.

I just feel that there's a lot that could be done to improve the distribution end of Lightwave.

As for asking a local distributor, if they stocked LW8
well you must of already known they didn't! (why didn't you order it?) so thats really a pointless exercise.

NT most likely have enough problems handing US orders
without having to worry about worldwide orders, hence the reason for setting up distribution networks, like almost every other piece of software (or product) known to man....

Plus you enjoy the extra benfits of waiting, longer for the shipment, by ordering directly from overseas.

I also hope you enjoy sending back your dongle all the way,
back overseas instead of your local distributor, to fix it....
i.e Local support

So what are your ideas to improve the distribution?

My distributor has been nothing short of fantastic...
And has sold NT products for over 10 years.
Provides a free 2 day turnaround on dongles.

I agree on pricing structure,
But our exchange rate is not quite, $0.80
Plus you have to add shipping and GST.

This deal was offered when the dollar was much lower too..
But i agree, by having a middle man, you have to pay extra..

riki
02-18-2004, 04:52 PM
Freak just crawl back under your rock.

I phoned a Newtek Reseller in Sydney last September and told them I wanted to preorder LW8. They told me, "No need to preorder we have it in stock!"

I really don't care if there's a local Lightwave distributor or not. It means absolutely ziltch to me, it doesn't help my business in any way or give me any extra value.

I'd prefer to buy online and download the software online and pay the same price as everyone else. That couldn't possibly add to Newteks distribution load. I wouldn't have to pay GST or Frieght and I'd get the software immediately.

Mark from New Magic has informed me that the cost of shipment is US$100. That's absolute garbage, how could sending a few CDs cost that much.

As far as the dongle issue goes. If it dies it dies, I'll wait the 3-4 days that it takes to air-express one over.

Beamtracer
02-18-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Freak
But our exchange rate is not quite, $0.80
Plus you have to add shipping and GST. My calculations were correct, based on the price Riki was quoted. I looked up the exchange rate on the online currency converter:
http://www.xe.com/ucc/
Aus$1.00 = US$0.80
It may vary +/- a cent or so overnight.

This means the Australian dealer was putting a 45% increase over the US retail price, even after adjusting for currency differences.

The US retail price includes VAT (called GST in some countries), so the Australian dealer is adding GST on top of VAT (which he doesn't have to pay for). So if you subtract the VAT from the equation, he's then putting a 55% markup on the US price.

The Australian distributer told Riki he has to pay a shipping cost of Aus $100 per item. Lets have a look at this.

I just checked Amazon to see what they charge for shipping CDs from the US to Australia.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/596190/ref=br_bx_c_1_4/102-9828036-2250569
Amazon cost (US$) of sending CDs to Australia is:
Regular US postal service = $3.99
Expedited International shipping = $8.99
Priority International Courier = $21.99

I think the distributor's excuse of a huge shipping charge is laughable!

Freak
02-18-2004, 09:07 PM
Aww Riki, don't put your nose out of joint (god knows it's big enough) (what do ya feed it steroids?)

And it was nice to see how professional you can be here, and on CGtalk after Ladd had already explained the problems, to ya... (well done) That makes you looks like a real pro...
(a pro arse, but pro none the less)

And i hope you watch Mel Gibsons latest movie, "Passions of Christ " it has some great scenes that make me think of you.... :) (oohh happy times!)

Beam,

As i said i "agree" on the pricing structure!!
And when you have a middleman, you have to pay him.
I'm not saying they aren't taking their cut, but thats what middleman do.....

Man, if i could cut all the middleman out of my cocaine smuggling
operations, i'd be a happy, happy man.... :)

And if you think NT will turn a international dongle around in 4days, your kidding.... (and they usually charge )

But when LW8 is not out yet, you don't know what the exchange rate will be when NM order it from NT.
The Aus dollar has gone up 4 cents just this week...

And the exchange rate was almost 10 cents lower,
when NT offered the deal at this price.
(making your calculation off)

And it's not a surprise for companies, to put their price up straight away on exchange rates, but to only put them down when people start to complain... (it's smart business)

I have argued the same thing with the LW7 release,
and NM did drop the price, after the dollar had changed.

As mentioned before, NM have to promote LW in Australia,
they have to advertise and promote it too....
They registered the LwOz site and give prizes in competitions,
promote it at tradeshows, that has to recouped in other areas.

I'm not saying it's right, just telling how it is.
Look at any american product, the same thing happens....

Personally I don't believe a Direct Download of 5 CD's is a good thing i'd rather have a full CD version with manuals.

riki
02-18-2004, 09:45 PM
Get ya self a soapbox freak, I hope you wasted a lot of time writing that, becuase I don't intend to read it. Hit Ignore Bye

Beamtracer
02-18-2004, 10:10 PM
I think the Adobe model is better. They have resellers selling new seats, but upgrades are directly from Adobe.

Upgrades don't really need any promotion. Users know where to find Newtek. An international mail-out would be better, and much cheaper than a distributor's 50% mark-up plus $100 postage.

Freak
02-18-2004, 10:43 PM
Yeah Beam, good point......

If you look at why Sony or DVD manufactures make region protection on stuff like Playstations or DVD's

It's so their local subsiduary can charge more and take another cut of the action... It's not right, but it happens!
It was designed this way..

I guess that was my point, or i didn't really have one.....

I just wanted Riki to look stupid, but really he does that all by
himself, constantly..... :)

:)

Riki Wrote: " I hope you wasted a lot of time writing that, becuase I don't intend to read it. Hit Ignore Bye"

That is seriously the funniest, (piss funny actually)
comment i have read today.....

So rather than ignore it, you reply to me, telling me that you didn't read it, and your going to ignore it.... (ROFL)

So, You just replied to something you didn't read.... (swish!)
But then i guess it explains, all your inaccurate postings... ;)

As usual, Beam provides a well balanced argument, with some valid points, without resorting to dummy spitting tantrums....
perhaps if you won't read me, you should at least look at how
well balanced indivduals make a good argument....

Peace Peoples! :)

Ade
02-19-2004, 12:10 AM
Freak make your point and stop being offensive.....This isnt cgtalk here.

I do believe Newtek should have an online store like Apple, like that they can trust the savings are past on, the web will always be upto date and they can control the advertising and pushing of their product... Wat does Newmagic do anyway? They dont promote anything and u have to email them to get upto date info, their web says digital images dvd tutes for sale, u email em and they say they stopped importing em due to teh facttheir cheaply obtained by teh customer themselves online.

riki
02-19-2004, 07:52 AM
I've got a friend who's partners in a "internationally networked purchasing company". I think he mainly works with corporate clients but I'm going to pick his brain next time we meet. If I come up with anything Ade I'll let you know.

Ade
02-19-2004, 08:04 AM
Is there a way to get the paper book manual?
cause I wont bother if i have to settle for a pdf version, i dont do pdf's.

Lightwolf
02-19-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
I think the Adobe model is better. They have resellers selling new seats, but upgrades are directly from Adobe.

Yup, and if you're in Europe you're likely to pay 50% more (if you're lucky). Adobe has one of the worst pricing structures over here (and translating the software isn't an argument, since the U.K. version costs the same surcharge). And you can only get the upgrades from Adobe Europe, plus the new software is softdongled to your computer and...
I'm drifting off ;)
Cheers,
Mike

pauland
02-19-2004, 01:42 PM
Whilst focussing on the U.S. software costs, do animators also charge on the basis of the costs of hiring an animator from California and do they pay the same rent as they would for a property in Boston?

I'd just hope that if they demand equality in their costs, that they also provide parity in their own charges, regardless of local conditions.

Paul

Beamtracer
02-19-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by pauland
I'd just hope that if they demand equality in their costs, that they also provide parity in their own charges, regardless of local conditions. Paul, this particular distributor, "New Magic" is charging a 50% markup on Lightwave, compared to the US retail price.

He can't justify it in wages. He can't justify it in rent for his premises.

If anything, I would have thought that his costs would be lower in Australia. Wages are lower. Rent for his building is probably lower, depending on whether he is located in a television/film production precinct or not.

I don't have any figures, but I'd like to know what percent of market share Lightwave has in a market like this (where the distributor charges huge margins) compared to other 3D packages.

riki
02-19-2004, 02:43 PM
I think income is considerable lower here. Budgets are definately smaller. If I have to pay extra I'd rather see the cash in Newtek's pocket. At least then I know some of it might filter through to ongoing development.

But seriously if overseas punters like myself are prepared to pay US$715 for the upgrade , then maybe Newtek should consider raising their prices.

That's a joke BTW, not very funny agreed, but not all jokes are funny ;)

Freak
02-19-2004, 05:46 PM
Paul, this particular distributor, "New Magic" is charging a 50% markup on Lightwave, compared to the US retail price.

If anything, I would have thought that his costs would be lower in Australia. Wages are lower. Rent for his building is probably lower, depending on whether he is located in a television/film production precinct or not.

I don't have any figures, but I'd like to know what percent of market share Lightwave has in a market like this (where the distributor charges huge margins) compared to other 3D packages.

I wouldn't say that rent in Sydney is going to be better than
Texas.... (i doubt it) as you say it depends where.....

LW does not have market share over here, which is one reason
Why we need local market support... You think NT are going to advertise in DMW? or AEAF?

I think you will find distributors, of Maya and XSI, Max, make bigger profits on Maya than NM do on LW.

Maya and Max have 90% Market share over here, LW and XSI have less than 10%.

I'm not defending NM, just saying it's the same for ALL the other 3D software, and well everything.

Ade, if you find it offensive don't read it, like Riki... :)
But i believe Riki resorted to a personal attack, after i simply made an opinion..... You only get back, what you put out!

Karma or something! :)

DigiLusionist
02-20-2004, 09:42 AM
tsk tsk

There goes the neighborhood...

Ade
02-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Riki all melbourne suppliers-
goto teir suppliers links section.
http://www.newmagic.com.au/

riki
02-21-2004, 03:07 PM
Newtek only lists one authorised dealer for AU on their site, re 'New Magic' (BTW none listed for NZ).

I could be way-off-track but I'm guessing that New Magic is the main distributor in Australia, and that they supply the resellers. My main reason for thinking this is becuase the NM site has a 'Lightwave Reseller Locator' (something to that effect).

Not a lot of competition in any case.

Beamtracer
02-21-2004, 06:29 PM
LW does not have market share over here, which is one reason
Why we need local market support...

...Maya and Max have 90% Market share over here, LW and XSI have less than 10%.Exactly. This Lightwave distributor is charging 50% more than elsewhere, with the excuse that this is the overhead for promoting Lightwave, but still Lightwave's marketshare in this region has dropped to a much lower percentage than in other markets.

If they sold LW at a reasonable price, that would be more incentive for people to purchase it than the minimal amount of promotion that they do.

The "$100" price for postage for the upgrade CD (this is what the distributor told Riki) is testimony to how the distributor thinks. I think this kind of business practice (by distributors) will hurt Lightwave sales. From what you say, Freak, it already has.

Riki, Ade, if you have any friends in the States, get them to purchase and post the upgrade CDs for you at a fraction of the price, and airmail postage will be less than US$5.

pauland
02-21-2004, 06:39 PM
Riki, Ade, if you have any friends in the States, get them to purchase and post the upgrade CDs for you at a fraction of the price, and airmail postage will be less than US$5.

And what will then happen when they try and register the upgrades?

Paul

riki
02-21-2004, 06:47 PM
BTW What happens if you buy LW in Australia and then move to another country? Do you have to pay full price again before you can get upgrades?

Ade
02-21-2004, 08:59 PM
Emailed a shop in the city of Melbourne for LW this is what I got-

Hi Adrian
Yes, we sell the full version too. Anything newmagic distributes basically,
including the full Sony range of software (formerly Sonic Foundry), Dosch
Design, etc.

$2263 Lightwave 7.5 full, delivered.
$704 Lightwave 7.5 Academic, delivered.

Terms are direct deposit only - no credit cards. You are informed of when
the item is sent off via email so you know when to expect it. Normally 2-3
business days from deposit for Lightwave to arrive in your hands. Get in
touch if interested and you'll be forwarded bank details for deposit.

Freak
02-22-2004, 03:18 PM
Exactly. This Lightwave distributor is charging 50% more than elsewhere, with the excuse that this is the overhead for promoting Lightwave, but still Lightwave's marketshare in this region has dropped to a much lower percentage than in other markets.

If they sold LW at a reasonable price, that would be more incentive for people to purchase it than the minimal amount of promotion that they do.

The "$100" price for postage for the upgrade CD (this is what the distributor told Riki) is testimony to how the distributor thinks. I think this kind of business practice (by distributors) will hurt Lightwave sales. From what you say, Freak, it already has.

You may be right Beam, but i don't think so in this case....
If it wasn't for advertising in DMW etc, LW would not be known
here at all, it is ignored not because of price, but because of status. It's not considered one of the big 3D applications.

Max, Maya and XSI all have Australian distributors, which all take about the same cut as NM do when you transfer to Oz dollar.
So why aren't they losing share? (have a look at the Maya price increase)

Max has always been dominant here, despite it being much more expensive than LW. (over 5 times more expensive when i bought LW)

Maya has become the industry standard here, not a surprise really. LW is not taught in schools here, Max and Maya are..

To say marketshare is a direct result of distributors, pricing is not accurate, their are many reasons for these statistics.

When you take into account how bad in comparison NT market LW worldwide, to A/W market Maya...
NT does not have to advertising budget as A/W does....

If there was no distributor, i believe you would have less market share. 3% anyone....?

Nothing to stop you from buying from a friend in th USA,
but it won't be supported locally.

You can take away the middle man, but everything comes at a cost, in this case it may make the sticker price cheaper, but at what cost?

Beamtracer
02-22-2004, 04:26 PM
Max has always been dominant here, despite it being much more expensive than LW. (over 5 times more expensive when i bought LW)

Maya has become the industry standard here, not a surprise really. LW is not taught in schools here, Max and Maya are.. I once met someone from Seven Television Network in Sydney. I was told they had a 3D department so I asked what software they were using. The reply was 3DS Max. They model in Max. They render in Max.

Why?

Lightwave is a far better product than Max for this purpose, plus it costs less.

Is there anything you have seen from the local distributor's promotions that you think might convince the people at this television station that they should be using LW instead of Max?

If the local distributor has no experience in the Film/TV/Games/Architecture businesses, how will they know where to focus their promotional efforts?

Now look at how it's done in Japan. D-Storm knows its market and knows how to convince them of what 3D program is best. Lightwave is the dominant 3D app there.

My understanding of the Australian market is that it produces more Film/Television than games. Lightwave should at least dominate this broadcast segment.

Freak, I'd be interested to know what kind of support your local distributor is offering, apart from the one-off dongle exchange.

stib
02-22-2004, 04:42 PM
So the 45% markup is due to the cost of promoting and supporting LW locally? Has my customer support costs come anywhere near 45% of the AU$2700 or whatever i was we paid for LW7.5? I think not.

I bought my copy from new magic. Since then the only contact i've had was some emails telling me stuff that I'd read weeks before on this forum.

And promotions? Hah! Can anyone in Australia tell me any LW promotional event that they can remember? If they can I'd love to know where they heard about it.

Let's face it, the local distributor has us over a barrel.

riki
02-22-2004, 05:00 PM
They taught Lightwave at my school, the University of New South Wales.

I haven't really seen any promotions, other than at a couple of Tradefairs.

At the last one, they had a booth next to the Newtek stall. That's 'Newtek Electronics' re: http://www.newtek.com.au/ which I thought was kind of odd.

Ade
02-22-2004, 06:10 PM
emailed-

Adrian,
Good news is NewMagic will offer the realviz bundle.
Bad news is they are still waiting on stock to arrive.
Good news is they are expecting it to arrive in 10 days or so.
Bad news is they say you need to order ASAP because the offer runs out on
March 24, and once stock runs out of their single shipment, it runs out.
Prices are also the same.

If you'd like to place an order in advance and have the product shipped out
to you as soon as stock becomes available, get in touch and I'll forward the
bank deposit details to you.

$2263 delivered.

riki
02-22-2004, 06:24 PM
I orderred my LW8/realviz bundle from NM last week.

How come $2263? Are you buying a new seat?

Ade
02-22-2004, 06:36 PM
For myself, ive been using works LW for 2 years now. Im thinking of going solo.

riki
02-22-2004, 06:47 PM
cool, can you get enough work going solo? I've been freelancing for about 4 years now and seem to survive. Though I do a lot of web work to keep me out of trouble.

Beamtracer
02-22-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Ade
Good news is they are expecting it to arrive in 10 days or so.Ten days seems a long time when they are charging you $100 for fast courier.

Originally posted by Ade
Bad news is they say you need to order ASAP because the offer runs out on
March 24, and once stock runs out of their single shipment, it runs out.Did Newtek say that after initial stocks run out the offer is over? I thought the offer will continue for orders placed up to and including March 24. Why is the distributor ending the offer earlier?

And what's this about "bank deposits"? What kind of operation is this that doesn't accept credit card orders?

Ade
02-22-2004, 06:52 PM
Im doing a web page now to get this Architectural industrial design client.
Ive some some renders for him, but have to concentrate on flash for now.

Working 2 jobs is hard.
Theres good 3d jobs in melbourne if u know where to look.

stib
02-22-2004, 09:33 PM
Theres good 3d jobs in melbourne if u know where to look.
really..? come on, give us a clue ;)

Hervé
02-23-2004, 12:51 AM
I understand AU is a bit like here, .... some here and there small jobs, but you reeeaaalllly have to dig deep to find them, so deep, I've broken my shovel.....:D ;)

Freak
02-23-2004, 03:08 PM
I once met someone from Seven Television Network in Sydney. I was told they had a 3D department so I asked what software they were using. The reply was 3DS Max. They model in Max. They render in Max.

Why?

Lightwave is a far better product than Max for this purpose, plus it costs less.

Is there anything you have seen from the local distributor's promotions that you think might convince the people at this television station that they should be using LW instead of Max?

If the local distributor has no experience in the Film/TV/Games/Architecture businesses, how will they know where to focus their promotional efforts?

Now look at how it's done in Japan. D-Storm knows its market and knows how to convince them of what 3D program is best. Lightwave is the dominant 3D app there.

My understanding of the Australian market is that it produces more Film/Television than games. Lightwave should at least dominate this broadcast segment.

Freak, I'd be interested to know what kind of support your local distributor is offering, apart from the one-off dongle exchange.

I think i already mentioned, Advertising, Trade Shows, Training,
Local Support, Good Service, LWoz website, Competitions, Prizes.

Hey they could always do more, as could NT when it comes to marketing their products. But you guys are saying to remove any local support and advertising.... (i'd like more actually)

Dstorm do a wonderful job agreed,
they also have what size population compared to Aus?
And how many seats are sold their?

And LW is not really the dominant software, Maya, Max, LW, XSI (softimage) all have a fairly even marketshare in Japan.

Just because a program is superior to another, more expensive one does not mean it will sell more copies.....

Intel will sell more than AMD, even though the AMD is faster and cheaper. Beta / VHS, Max, LW In the USA Pepsi outsells Coke, but Pepsi is not even close over here.

Marketing means a lot.......
NT can't match companies like Discreet, or A/W.

I think the fact that Ade is willing to buy LW, still shows LW is not that expensive (compared to the competition)

Channel Seven in Brisbane do actually use LW, and do a lot of news stuff for National Broadcast.

Max and Maya dominate everything....
LW and C4D are considered not worthy for production by our elitest bastards..... (Lightwave is a dirty word)

All Freelancers know that LW is a great value tool....
But i can see why Maya is first choice for Studio's....

riki
02-23-2004, 06:43 PM
Distributors need to invest their own capital on promotional ventures. If they don't invest some serious bucks, it's never going to happen. Even creaming a small user base with a massive surcharge isn't going to do squat in terms of competing with the bigger players. Most likely turn users away.

I just orderred a copy of MX Studio from the Macromedia site, the online expereince when making purchases is virtually the same for all users in the asian/pacific region as with the US.

The prices are also comparative.

Beamtracer
02-23-2004, 08:36 PM
Nothing to stop you from buying from a friend in th USA,
but it won't be supported locally.

You can take away the middle man, but everything comes at a cost, in this case it may make the sticker price cheaper, but at what cost? Freak, I'm still interested to know what support (if any) you've received from your local distributor, with the exception of the one-off dongle exchange.

Maybe I should set up a business distributing Lightwave. The profit margins would be wonderful. Minimum workload.

Ade
02-23-2004, 10:49 PM
If u do Beam hurry up and get started, youll have Riki and I purchasing from u..

riki
02-23-2004, 11:09 PM
Also some OZ users on the CGTalk forum that aren't too happy with the current setup.

Ade
02-24-2004, 04:18 AM
Riki who did u decide to go with? Are you ordering the paper book too?

guys how much will LW 8 cost after the realviz deal is over?

riki
02-24-2004, 04:55 AM
I've pre-orderred the realviz/lw8 bundle for $899 from New magic. I don't get the manual but I'll download the pdf and I've already preorderred Inside 8 and 1001 Trips (Tricks n Tips)

Ade
02-24-2004, 05:03 AM
How much is Lightwave normally priced? its been so long...

riki
02-24-2004, 05:25 AM
US$1595 from Newtek, not sure about New Magic.

Beamtracer
02-24-2004, 05:54 AM
Maybe I should set up a business distributing Lightwave. The profit margins would be wonderful. Minimum workload.

Originally posted by Ade
If u do Beam hurry up and get started, youll have Riki and I purchasing from u.. Hey, I was just joking. I'm not a salesperson!

Freak
02-24-2004, 06:10 AM
Beamtracer Wrote: "Freak, I'm still interested to know what support (if any) you've received from your local distributor, with the exception of the one-off dongle exchange.

Maybe I should set up a business distributing Lightwave. The profit margins would be wonderful. Minimum workload"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hehehe, NM own the exclusive rights to NT products in Australia (and pay for the privelidge) So you would have to become a dealer to NM, and you won't make much profit like that. :)

I can't say i really recieve too much support,
I don't require any..... (i don't need my hand held)

I have had a Parrallel Dongle returned
and replaced within 3 days. That was several years back....
Apart from some general questions on availabilty on LW,
and a bit of insider information, that's about it.

I have also had to order a few educational versions,
for friends, and fax letters and student ID's to NM...
I did deal also as reseller for LW for a little while when working for a Multimedia and IT reseller, (as well as Sonic Foundry and Scala products) And my dealings with NM have been positive.

I also had NM send me a bunch of Discovery Editions to give to others. (Because NT had failed to do so)
And they sent me a few promo Videos too.....

I used to order a lot of plugins and training materials from safeharbour, rather than NM because of pricing.

Really it's just nice to have someone to yell at locally,
as Chuck is often too far away..... :)

Why do you want to know Beam?

And BTW, i'd think of selling Max or Maya, would be a much better money earnier! :)

Lets see.....

Lightwave $1495 (US) for LW8 and RealViz Bundle... (or DFX+)
Lightwave $2263 (Oz) for LW8 and RealViz Bundle... (or DFX+)

Maya Complete $1999 (US)
Maya Complete $3799 (Oz)

I assure you it's even worse on MAX.

And considering that A/W give massive advertising budgets,
and Maya is already well marketed, the Australian distributors
need to do a lot less to sell it.

A/W use the same adverts here as they do in the USA.
(complete with the US price of $1999.00 quoted)

At least NM featured some of Australia's best LW artists
like Dave Tracey and Jonny (to name but a few) in their adverts.

So at the end of the day, LW is still the best priced 3D software
in the market, and it's distributors make less profit
then competitors do on competing products.

Just for the record, I don't really care who sells me LW,
as long as they sell it. I'm all for cheaper prices too....

Why do anything locally? Let's just move all jobs and profits
to US based online stores, and forget about local industry all together. Yep that sounds grand! ;)

Ade
02-24-2004, 06:32 AM
I cant wait to place my order with Beam..
Beam do u do G5 OEM's? :D

Beamtracer
02-24-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Ade
Beam do u do G5 OEM's? :D Only ones made of polygons.
Why do anything locally? Let's just move all jobs and profits to US based online stores, and forget about local industry all together. Where do you buy your Worley plug-ins from? If you were able to order the LW upgrade directly from Newtek at a Newtek price (and get it posted to you), I'm sure you'd be tempted to do it. Save the money, and forgo whatever wonderful things the local distributor does for you.

riki
02-24-2004, 08:35 AM
Why do anything locally? Let's just move all jobs and profits to US based online stores, and forget about local industry all together.

Sounds good to me. It is an American product after all. It's not like New Magic are developing a 'Green n Gold' version of Lightwave. They're a go-between, nothing magic or wonderful about that.

But this isn't a local product, so no argument there.

I'm all in favour of buying locally, just a long as the local product can compete in terms of cost and quality.

If you're happy to pay more, that's well and good, but why stop at A$899. Why not A$999??, hell, why not $9,999.

For me it's just a stupid argument. If you want to pay more. The solution is simple. "Pay more!" But don't expect others to follow your lead. We may be forced to pay more, but we don't have to like it.

Freak
02-24-2004, 05:15 PM
Only ones made of polygons. Where do you buy your Worley plug-ins from? If you were able to order the LW upgrade directly from Newtek at a Newtek price (and get it posted to you), I'm sure you'd be tempted to do it. Save the money, and forgo whatever wonderful things the local distributor does for you.

I have no problems, buying directly from the NT.....
I do have problems removing local support, for NT products.
And like i said, i like having a local industry..

I can understand how "some" of you care only about the money side of it....(hell for a few of you, i'd expect it ;)

I do find it funny, you peeps keep picking me up on maybe one point, and ignoring all of the others.... :)

So why not become a Maya distributor Beam?
More profits, more sales, and less work....... :)

I'm saying it's not just Lightwave where this happens,
it's every imported product around. Why is it such a surprise?

I never said buying online is a bad idea,
i just said a lot of the things you used to establish your argument
were not correct.... (in this case)

I guess i'm just more likely to watch the industry, jobs situation
and local markets, than just my back pocket.....

riki
02-24-2004, 05:47 PM
I'm saying it's not just Lightwave where this happens, it's every imported product around. Why is it such a surprise?

That's where you're wrong. It's not every product. As I said yesterday, check Macromedia MX Studio. check a billion sharware APPS.

And just becuase other companies rip Australian users off, that in itself doesn't provide adequate justification for taxing us a huge surcharge.

You've got absolutely no argument. You're not going to get any joy here.

pauland
02-24-2004, 05:52 PM
That's where you're wrong. It's not every product. As I said yesterday, check Macromedia MX Studio. check a billion sharware APPS.

And just becuase other companies rip Australian users off, that in itself doesn't provide adequate justification for taxing us a huge surcharge.

You've got absolutely no argument. You're not going to get any joy here.

Macromedia Studio, you have to buy from a country specific macromedia office or reseller. You can't buy from the macromedia.com online store and pay the $ price if you are in the U.K. I'm not sure of the situation on buying from a reseller. Often resellers won't sell out of region.

Freak has an argument and I would agree with it.

Paul

Ade
02-24-2004, 06:10 PM
Riki im about to order, do u think $2263 delivered is a god price for a new LW7.5+Realviz offer?

Im getting it from someone in the city (melb)..Other mac shops have quoted me $2500 claiming thats the best they can do!

I wonder atleast what this free gift is valued at?

riki
02-24-2004, 06:20 PM
It sounds about right. Yeah Newtek sent this Newsletter this morning mentioning a "FREE Bonus". I'm not sure what it is but maybe worth checking with the reseller to see if they'll be taking part. New magic haven't heard about it yet, but Mark's checking into if for me.

Here's the Newsletter for other's that haven't seen it.

LightWave 8.0 Pre-upgrade Special Offers to End on March 21, 2004

NewTek to offer Bonus to LightWave 8 Pre-upgraders

Hi, Folks!

NewTek will be bringing our current LightWave 3D® pre-release specials to a close on March 21st, 2004. If you want to take advantage of the opportunity to purchase a full seat or upgrade of NewTek's LightWave 3D [7.5] at regular price, and receive eyeon's DFX+(TM) and two add-on modules, $1785 in additional software FREE, March 21st is the deadline. This offer also includes a free upgrade to LightWave® [8] (on CD with electronic documentation) when LightWave 3D Eight ships.

Our new offer for Mac LightWave users is REALVIZ's Interactive Studio® bundle, FREE with purchase of a LightWave full seat or upgrade. Interactive Studio® consists of REALVIZ's Stitcher® 3.5, ImageModeler® 3.5, and [email protected]®, a $1500 value if purchased separately. The special offer is available through March 21, 2004, in North America and from participating international distributors for NewTek. This offer also includes a free upgrade to LightWave 3D Eight (on CD with electronic documentation) when LightWave 3D Eight ships.

These limited time offers end on March 21, 2004, so order now!

For those of you who have already purchased one of our special offers, later this week or early next week, as a gesture of appreciation for your order and your patience, NewTek will be sending news of a FREE bonus for you, while you await our release of LightWave 8. If you made your purchase through a reseller instead of directly with NewTek, please let your reseller know your current email address, so they can let us know, and we can make sure you receive your notice of this exciting FREE bonus.

NOTES: This special edition of eyeon's DFX+ Software runs under the Windows platform only, and is keyed to the LightWave dongle. Mac LightWave users who also have Windows platforms and who wish to purchase and use DFX+ with your Mac LightWave dongle must have the Duo USB dongle which runs on both Mac & PC. Users who want the capability to run DFX+ independent of their LightWave license may, prior to installing and registering the software, contact eyeon's Sales Department to purchase a dongle for DFX+.

For more information or to order these special offers, see: http://www.newtek.com/buynow/lw_products.html

You have received this email because you are a registered LightWave user. If you would prefer not to receive emails in the future, please email [email protected], and advise them to update your entry in the registration database with your preference.

Thank you for choosing LightWave!

NewTek Marketing

riki
02-24-2004, 06:27 PM
Freak has an argument and I would agree with it.

What exactly is the argument? You enjoy paying more money, for the same product? You wouldn't prefer to pay the same price as US counterparts?

I just don't get it.

riki
02-24-2004, 07:24 PM
A friend of mine has an international purchasing company, that caters to sectors, such as engineering, agriculture, computing etc etc. I like this quote from his site.

http://www.dubray.com/images/header1.gif

The chances are, if you purchase products or supplies from overseas or local agents - you are paying too much and waiting too long for delivery. That's because overseas suppliers usually appoint Agents who, in the absence of competition, are able to dictate terms and pricing at their own discretion.
We can help...

Du Bray & Associates are the original internationally networked purchasing company represented in almost every continent. We can easily access the right supplier or manufacturer in their country of origin - avoiding the middle man and his exorbitant margin. This means real savings in both delivery time and dollars.

The benefits don't stop there

A comprehensive network of worldwide associate companies enables us to act as a domestic client in the country of origin, obtaining competitive pricing and a more efficient service. In many cases, our associates will also be able to negotiate discounts or special competitive rates on your behalf. They 'speak the language' quite literally and can sidestep much of the unnecessary bureaucracy.

Not just cheaper and easier - faster too ...

It is really that easy, our quotation costs you nothing and there is no obligation to proceed. Better still, you can expect a written quote ( in New Zealand/Australian dollars ) which includes every aspect involved in purchasing your goods and their delivery - before you've decided whether or not you will place an order. Remember - The service is free - our small indent margin is already included in the quoted price which we will only receive should you place an order! It is in our interests to give you the best possible price!

Because we purchase the goods in their country of origin and arrange shipping details personally through our own air and sea freight companies you're not reliant on structured transit schedules which might slow delivery.

No worries and no payment required until goods are delivered....

With both offices and a comprehensive network of associated companies worldwide i.e USA * United Kingdom / Europe * Germany * Denmark * Japan * Singapore * Hong Kong * Australia * New Zealand, Du Bray and Associates presents an extremely cost effective alternative to purchasing locally.

re: http://www.dubray.com

Ade
02-24-2004, 08:48 PM
I wonder if it is possible to pay new magic extra mone to worle for Fprime as I dont have a credit card.

I wonder what this free gift is? and wat its valued at?

riki
02-24-2004, 09:35 PM
I'm not a big fan of credit cards myself, so I use a Visa debit card. Maybe worth looking into.

I'd like to know what the FREE gift is. It might be just a T'shirt. But you never know with Newtek, they do bend over backwards to try and keep us happy.

Ade
02-24-2004, 11:19 PM
Would be cool if it was somthing like training dvd or books?
Id love a new LW8 poster..

riki
02-24-2004, 11:34 PM
I'm hoping for a coffee mug, but yeah training DVDs would be pure sweetness.

pauland
02-25-2004, 01:25 AM
What exactly is the argument? You enjoy paying more money, for the same product? You wouldn't prefer to pay the same price as US counterparts?

I just don't get it.

Here in the U.K. a number of distributors have arranged demos of LW and put advertising into UK based magazines. I don't know how much they promote newtek product besides. Their LW price is set by Newtek and sitting around (very silently) in the background is Newtek Europe. The UK price has tended to be similar to, but usually slightly higher than Newtek U.S. At one stage Newtek Europe was charguing a huge differential for DUO dongles something like $100 and I certainly wan't pleased about that.

I don't earn a living from LW but if I did I would certainly support dealers even more. A local market can only grow if there's local promotion of the product and having a healthy local market for LW can only happen when dealers are stocking product, advertising and promoting, knocking on doors. It costs money to do that. It's a bigger problem to do that if your revenue is based on a smaller number of sales if a product isn't established.

If my dongle fried, I feel that I could get in my car and sort out a replacement, same day with a local dealer. If I were a business it might save me from disaster.

So, it's not that I like paying more, but I am willing to do so to help LW thrive/survive locally. How much more I'd be happy to pay is another matter.

Some of your compaint is about the local dealer apparently not doing anything for the extra money. Well I can't imagine that's wholly true, though there are inevitably going to be better dealers than others. Having one bad dealer doesn't make the whole idea invalid.

You mentioned Macromedia. Their customer base is centered around web design - a market sector considerably larger than 3D tools, in customer numbers certainly. They certainly have country-specific price differentials too.

There you go, I don't like paying more, but I understand the reason why it should be so.

Paul

pauland
02-25-2004, 01:26 AM
training DVDs would be pure sweetness.

A dreamer indeed!

Paul

Freak
02-25-2004, 01:55 AM
Riki Wrote: You've got absolutely no argument. You're not going to get any joy here.

Yet some intelligent people like Pauland do understand it.....
And look :) (i believe that is an expression joy)

And i'm not the one who's complaining of the price, so i'm already happy.... :)

Pauland Wrote:

If my dongle fried, I feel that I could get in my car and sort out a replacement, same day with a local dealer. If I were a business it might save me from disaster.

So, it's not that I like paying more, but I am willing to do so to help LW thrive/survive locally. How much more I'd be happy to pay is another matter. "

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep exactly, i'd love stuff to be cheap.....
But money is not my ONLY priority.

When my dongle stopped working, and i had it replaced.....
Suddenly having a local dealer, was worth the extra money.
I would of lost the job, client and money, if the dongle would of have been sent back to NT.

Anyway, i voiced my opinion...... Nuff said...

Beamtracer
02-25-2004, 02:18 AM
If my dongle fried, I feel that I could get in my car and sort out a replacement, same day with a local dealer. If I were a business it might save me from disaster.It seems that dongles are the only "support" these distributors offer. But why should that cause an increase in the price of Lightwave upgrades?

You have to pay a fee if you want a new dongle. That fee should cover the cost of the dongle. So why do they charge 50% more for LW8 upgrades, with the excuse that it covers the price of distributing replacement dongles?

So we've got excuses about dongles. Excuses about $100 postage. I don't think they're justifying it very well.

Hervé
02-25-2004, 02:27 AM
too many X-cuses, so little time....

NT Europe is located somewhere near Bordeaux, and it's very far from where I live anyway (1200 km), so they would post the dongle either ways....

I think NT Europe is pretty nice and they dont charge double the price.

Most of time I am in relation with Audrey Belin, very kind person, very pro... no prob....

Beam, are you going with them also ??

Hervé

riki
02-25-2004, 07:31 AM
If my Japanese Girlfriend gets her way, my local dealer could soon be DStorm. Well that's the theory.

I've got no beef with New Magic, they do a good job, very friendly etc, that's great. But I don't like paying extra. No amount of reasoning is going to change that.

I bought some fonts online the other day. I didn't have to pay GST or Transport costs, just downloaded them from the web and I paid the same price as anyone else. I really don't care about the font community in Australia or if the Australian Font Middle man missed out. Tough bickies!

As long as you have a creditcard it dosen't matter if your from Botswana, you get the same deal. In my opinion, that's free Trade.

Ade
02-25-2004, 04:22 PM
Does Lightwave charge for its .5 updates?
So If I buy lw7.5 now and get lw8 fre, do I hav eto pay for lw8.5?

pauland
02-25-2004, 04:29 PM
..probably best wait until LW 9, just in case...

Paul

riki
02-25-2004, 04:47 PM
I don't think they charge. But I've got a terrible memory.

Ade
02-25-2004, 04:51 PM
I ask this cause its gone on record LW8.5 will be the modeler upgrade, which is what im more interested in. I will however take advantage of this lw8 deal and by so, supporting Newtek on the way.

Chuck will 8.5 be a fee based upgrade for lw8 owners?

pauland
02-25-2004, 04:58 PM
They've already added loads onto the modeller (haven't you watched the videos?). I've yet to see Newtek charge for a LW 0.5 release.

Paul

newmagic
02-25-2004, 06:31 PM
Hi,

As the Australian distributor for Newtek I think its time that some of the issues raised in this thread are addressed.

Firstly the issue of Australian pricing. Looking at the full Lightwave product firstly:

$US1495 = $AU1954 at 0.765. Yes the dollar has gone as high as 79.8c recently but the average has been around 0.778. If you intend to pay by either international money transfer or Credit card (or Visa debit card which is treated the same) you will loose on average 1.5c in the transfer from the advertised rate, hence using the 0.765 value above.

Now $AU1954 becomes $AU2150 when 10% GST is added. Actually if you bring the goods in by courier (which as Ill explain below is virtually mandatory) you'll actually pay 12% making this $AU2188.

Freight - if you want to risk having a $AU2200+ product sent from US by mail go ahead! and pay about $US30 = $AU39 and wait up to 4 weeks. Despite what the misinformed have stated here, you do actually receive a Lightwave box, and DFX box or Realviz CDs, and this weighs in at about 6kg cubic. But most would prefer a courier such as UPS which will charge about $US98 = $AU128.

Using the mail the total now comes to $2189 and using the courier with 12% duty $AU2316. As has been mentioned in this thread Lightwave can be purchased here for as low as $AU2263 which is actually cheaper than couriering one in.

As far as the upgrade to V8 goes the same calculation yields around $AU850.

In general we do expect Australian prices to be higher than US prices by about 5%. This is due to the costs involved in promoting the product locally and offering local support.

I understand that many of the users on this forum probably never need our technical support. However remember that there are many users new to 3d who call us up every day needing technical help and advice. When you spend $2200+ on a package surely its fair to expect local telephone support? It would seem some on this forum would expect them to rely on email, forum members or phoning the US!

Lightwave marketing in Australia is stronger than ever. Just pick up a copy of Digital Media World magazine. We have been out spending both 3ds and Maya in this area, as well as attending SMPTE, AEAF and Edutech conventions. All of this costs big money and requires both a local distributor and local dealers to maintain. I would be very happy to hear anyones suggestions from this forum as to how we can improve the marketing of Lightwave in Australia. Although I agree its not an argument to prices, the relative Australian pricing on Maya and 3ds max gives you some idea of the costs involved in local support, and these are relatively much more expensive than us when compared to their US prices.

If the Australian dollar continues to grow we will reduce the prices again, but the practicalities of distribution prevent us changing prices every week!

Mark Harwood
Director
New Magic Australia Pty Ltd

Hervé
02-25-2004, 11:09 PM
I would say the Poor dollar has gone low.... pretty soon, they'll quote the petrol in Euros... ha ha

Hervé
02-25-2004, 11:12 PM
BTW Mark, all that is looking very fair.:D

Ade
02-25-2004, 11:15 PM
Mark i just went through Tekmachine for my purchase as emailed..

Suggestions for advertising Lightwave in australia-

I have always found schools are the best place to sart advertising.

I attended course in VUT in St Albans for lightwave training but hear they have taken on c4d? Do they still teach LW?

Same with VUT Sth Melbourne..

Universities, broadcast shows and annual student film festivals are the best place to advertise..Its all about exposure and "confidence" that if u learn this app there is alot of opportunity for work.

Maybe start an ad campaign titled" How do u like wavin'?" where the ad features many australian artists using lightwave and wat sort of work they do and for wat sort of companies...

I myself use it for modeling architecture and organic modeling.
I know other sin Australia like Caveboy use it for broadcasting.

People in Australia would love to know how to use it and if they did what sort of jobs are out there...
Need to get that job confidence, many ppl wont invest in an app if its seen as a hobby app.

*Id love to see Beam featured as Australian mac artist...:)

riki
02-25-2004, 11:18 PM
Thanks Mark, good to see you on the forums.

newmagic
02-25-2004, 11:37 PM
Hi,

Many Australian universities are using Lightwave extensively in their courses, some of which have hundreds of seat licenses installed. The ones I know about include:

Victoria University
Monash University
Wollongong University
University of Western Sydney
University of Canberra
Auckland University
Bond University
University of Western Australia
Edith Cowan University
La Trobe University

and there are more.

We often feature local talent in our ads (see second latest Lightwave ads in DMW) and always try to feature local talent at our show booths such as Jonny Gordon and Dave Tracey. We also have Lightwave students manning our booths from the above universities preaching to other students aout the advantages of Lightwave.

Mark Harwood
Director
New Magic Australia Pty Ltd

riki
03-01-2004, 03:48 AM
Hi Mark,

Any news on the free gift mentioned by Newtek?

mr_nebel
03-01-2004, 07:07 AM
I was thinking exactly the same thing.

riki
03-01-2004, 01:37 PM
I feel sorry for this guy, if what he says is true, it looks like his reseller really worked him over.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18729

Beamtracer
03-01-2004, 02:30 PM
The current Lightwave promotion involving Newtek and Realviz was announced on February 17 2004, approximately two weeks ago.

I thought I'd check out the NewMagic website to see how their much talked about aggressive promotional efforts are going in regard to this. A screen grab is attached below, with color quality reduced to reduce file size.

My point is that anyone who learns about this offer is going to learn it from Mac websites or most likely from this very forum.

riki
03-01-2004, 02:52 PM
Just a suggestion, but maybe in future, Resellers might consider offerring pre-release discounts. Something along the lines of Worely's earlybird discounts, but for preorders. This might help to offset some of the extra costs.

pauland
03-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Contrast that with this: www.onevideo.net

;-)

Paul

riki
05-11-2004, 07:56 AM
Well I'm still waiting for my Lightwave 8 order to ship and speaking frankly I have to say that I'm less than impressed with the way this has been handled.

Karmacop
05-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Small customer base that is a great distance away isn't that important Riki. Note that Lightwave 8 hasn't been officially released yet too.

riki
05-11-2004, 06:24 PM
Yeah it's very important, and yeah they're a nice bunch of guys doing a great job. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to complain like hell if I'm not happy about something.

Let me ask this. How long does it take to send a dvd pack from the US to Sydney? Gnomon can do it in 2 days, for less than US$20.

I've been told by Mark the Director at New Magic that the extra cost we've incurred includes US$100 for courrier fees. To start with that figure seems unrealistically high to me for such a small parcel that's taken weeks to get here. Sure shipping also has to cover the price of sending the 3 Realviz CDs but that still doesn't come close to accounting for the shipping costs that Mark has mentioned.

There is definately room for improvement here, if people can't see that then I'm sorry.

Karmacop
05-11-2004, 10:41 PM
I know how you feel Riki, I'm in the same situation .. though I got my lw8 cds today :D

I think newtek couldn't send them to people in australia for contractual reasons, that is that all lw distribution in australia must go through new magic. If you're really concerned you should ring the ACA (no not ray martin :p), but I'm sure they're not trying to rip us off.

riki
05-11-2004, 11:00 PM
Yeah I've got my copy, it just arrived. Also in the mail today 'LW8 Killer Tips' which I'm looking forward to sinking my teeth into.

Luckily we made it in time to avoid tomorrow's Postal Strike, which I think is the first in about 20 years.

mr_nebel
05-12-2004, 12:38 AM
If you guys got your copies today hopefully that means mine will be here by the weekend.

Beamtracer
05-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Newmagic is one of the smaller Lightwave distributers in the world. My spies tell me it is just a "backyard" operation. It runs from a residential house on the fringes of Sydney, and another house on the fringes of Melbourne.

Riki, you have a bedroom. Why don't you set up a business in there, and distribute software following the Newmagic model. Charge everyone 100 bucks for postage. You're made!

riki
05-12-2004, 10:50 PM
It's probably not a bad idea, even if I'm the only custommer :)

I don't think there's anything wrong though, on pushing for higher standards and trying to get the best deal you can.