PDA

View Full Version : Worley unveils realtime raytracer (it appears)

doug_wilkinson
02-17-2004, 06:11 PM
go to his site and check it out for yo-self!!!

it looks totally radical.

D

Titus
02-17-2004, 09:08 PM
Amazing!

lasvideo
02-18-2004, 10:07 PM
FPrime does seem truly amazing. Its still under wraps when I spoke to a rep today. Hopefully what it does for previewing ray tracing at lightspeed will also apply to other visual features (skytracer, volumetrics, flares) as well. I guess it will cost at LEAST as much as G2.....or more. ($500 or so).

jin choung
02-18-2004, 10:57 PM
i wouldn't bet on the real time ray tracing....

there are lots of reflection effects that you could have been done with modern pixel/vertex shaders. and shadows could be stencil buffer shadows.

i'm betting that it's using modern hardware accelerated opengl fx... like modern games. it's come a long way... per pixel shading and all...

but not real time ray tracing.

just my guess.

jin

lasvideo
02-19-2004, 08:21 AM
Go to Flay.com and download the 7meg file and judge for yourself.

paulrus
02-19-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by jin choung

i'm betting that it's using modern hardware accelerated opengl fx... like modern games. it's come a long way... per pixel shading and all...

Based on my own investigation, I can say fairly confidently it is absolutlely NOT using hardware acceleration (yet). This is a software-only solution.

Paul

fabmedia
02-19-2004, 10:30 AM
Would you say that having a render engine like this would be a great alternative to the LW render engine?

For most of us that could use the extra time saved to do bigger and better things.

One of my quips about the LW render engine is that it's a bit slow.

Arlen

fabmedia
02-19-2004, 11:20 AM
You know... it just dawned on me, FPrime might only be a 32 bit renderer and not 192 such as LW.

That might account for the increase in speed. LW native render engine is the only one that is completely suitable for film work being able to produce HDR images natively.

Just a thought.

Arlen

wacom
02-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Seeing FPrime makes me wonder if Worley Labs has finally gained more access to the LW core functions than they had before. I read somewhere that they've wanted to do some really cool rendering addtions in LW before, but that NewTek held their code a little too tight. Is FPrime the kind of "third party" render extensions we can expect to see with 8? Lets hope this marks something new for 8 and beyond...

prospector
02-19-2004, 11:34 AM
Looked at the second clip now..
Still looks like not real time ( I can see it updating).

Just looks like a boosted up Viper, Still jagged edges (tho not as bad as Viper)

I think Jin is on the right trail.

nlightuk
02-20-2004, 03:45 AM
Looks to me like G2 for raytracing...

After all, G2 applies it's own methodology to produce faster area shadows, translucency etc.

The "real time" issue is moot - none of these plugins are in fact realtime, but that doesn't stop them from MASSIVELY improving workflow.

We all love the Lightwave renderer, but it isn't amazingly quick to test render scenes with raytraced refraction and reflection. FPrime should help that a lot, unless LW8 has some amazing new render engine which has been kept quiet!

fabmedia
02-20-2004, 09:58 AM
Apparently there's an improvement with the render speed with LW 8. If it's as much of an increase from 6 to 7, I'm already happy.

Arlen

jat1
02-27-2004, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by prospector
Looked at the second clip now..
Still looks like not real time ( I can see it updating).

Just looks like a boosted up Viper, Still jagged edges (tho not as bad as Viper)

I think Jin is on the right trail.

Could be just me but i dont think u can actually say that without thinking about the compression of the video affecting the quality, and worley have already stated it is software or am i totally wrong?

fabmedia
02-27-2004, 09:34 AM
Well, nothing is really "real time" especially something that is antialiased. But who cares?!?!?!? The thing is sreaming fast.

Arlen