PDA

View Full Version : Texturing a Guitar String

colkai
03-13-2003, 04:33 AM
I am trying to create a guitar string, wound around the capstan - things are confusing me (not difficult :p)

I've created the object with UV's, in modeller, it looks surfaces about how I want it, but in Layout, it's all kablooey. :(

I've uploaded a scene if someone could take a look.
Guitar Winding ZIP file (http://www.colkai.dsl.pipex.com/miscwork/UVWinding.zip)

The object on the right has the correct mapping, but it fades out all over the place and I just don't know why. The ZIP includes all needed to show me how wrong I've done it!

Ahh, UV's - I knew I'd have to get involved in 'em sooner or later.
If anyone can tell me how to do this better / properly, I'm all ears!

Skonk
03-13-2003, 02:08 PM
Theres something very very funkey going off with your UV's, im no UV expert by no means but looking at it in modeler, the object when looked at in the UV view isn't even within the image. I dont know why it would be like this but all i can suggest is re-doing the UV coords. Unless im totally wrong (which is very posible) for a polygon to get the map on it, its coords have to be within the image, I'll have a mess myself and see what happens, u left the spline in the file so i can extrude a new object if needed :)

i'll get back to u.

James..

geoff3dnz
03-13-2003, 04:54 PM
The UV's are basically fine (except for that little bit of stretching near the beginning of the loop) and the V-mapping layer works fine - just turn OFF texture anti-aliasing, and boost the texture amplitude to something like 10, and invert the layer (at the moment the ridges go in)...

Hope that helps :)

colkai
03-14-2003, 03:12 AM
Geoff,
That was bang-on!
For some strange reason, texture AA throws the UV mapping into wierdness. As soon as I turned it off - there there it was. This was just a demo object, I am obviously going to have to ensure I use equal lengths on the rail extrude to ensure tidy mapping. Strange isn't it that the V mapping isnt affected by the texture AA? Do you know why that is at all?

Anyway - happy now, I can crack on to the final stage of my guitar.
(I could have avoided all this by not creating "wound" strings - but where's the fun in that? :p )