PDA

View Full Version : Dv Repair?

B.R.Productions
02-16-2004, 10:44 PM
I know this is not a total VT question. But I am
editing this particular project with The VT3.

I filmed an event where the main closeup
camera's tape was somehow damaged. The event
was filmed using mini-DV. About 20 minutes
of this tape is distorted, pixalated.
You can tell what is going on, you can see
the people that were filmed. But it has
a pixaled look in some areas.
It does look good every other
secound. This continues for about 20 minutes.
I have played it in other DV decks and got
the same results.
Is there any way to repiar this at all.
The tape is not broken. And recovery is
very important. I have several clients
wanting a copy of this tape when I am
finished editing. I am panicking.
Help.

Brian

Jim Capillo
02-17-2004, 03:41 AM
Looks like the problem is on the record side of the equation...... dirty/clogged heads? Once you play back in other decks and see the same problem, you're pretty much done. I don't know of any recovery service for DV, but it probably wouldn't be of help anyway.

mgrusin
02-17-2004, 06:26 PM
Major bummer. All I can recommend is clever editing between the wide shots and the close up to cover the damaged areas. You could also try switching to CG or Powerpoint pages for a bit. Or "shortening" the production if your client will let you. If the audio is intact all the way through (from at least one of the cameras), piece that together first and see what coverage you can come up with.

Another tip: remember that VT will let you "zoom" into any clip (e.g your wide shot could become a close up for a while). The quality may suffer a bit, but that trick has saved an edit more than once for me.

We've all been there; it's no fun trying to recover from disaster. But often you'll surprise yourself when you make something out of nothing.

Good luck! -MG.

bradl
02-18-2004, 02:36 PM
I have seen a problem where every other field is bad because of a clogged head. De-fielding can recover the image, albeit at lower resolution. VT can defield, but you can not choose which one (I don't think) so maybe Mirage or Aura or other.

B.R.Productions
02-18-2004, 04:48 PM
I had thought that I would have to edit differently to obtain
okay results and losing more than half of the 20 minutes
of closeup footage.
I was not aware of VT3's ability to zoom into clips. That may
offer a fix in some areas of this problem. Thanks Mgrusin
for that tip.
I also find defielding the image an interesting solution that I
will try soon and report back. Thanks for that tip Bradl.

B.R.Productions
02-20-2004, 03:55 PM
My tape has goten progessively worse. Parts that was not damaged is now becoming that way. I have determined that
it is the tape itself that was diffective. I believe that it is
possiably flacking apart.
Spliting fields also did not work. Unless I was doing it wrong.
I was trying it in Aura.

chribba
02-22-2004, 04:08 PM
U must have gotten a bad tape... We have got a shipment some yaers ago and they all had to hit the trashcan. One thing you could try to do before you give up is to use DMC (Dynamic Motion Control) on the player. This way i have heard that the player uses more videoheads to read from the tape... We have saved a lot of pictures by using DMC (Dynamic Motion Control)... Hope this helps...

Chribba