PDA

View Full Version : Graph Editor / Copy Keyframes FRUSTRATION

Colonelbob
02-16-2004, 08:21 PM
Hey all,

I am so frustrated right now. I have a spaceship with 4 laser ports. There are two laser beams in each port. I have created keyframes for my ships animation, the camera and for the first laser in port 1. I am happy with it.

So now that my movement is right and the timing is good I want to copy the keyframes from Laser 1 to Laser 2. This should be easy right?

I am working in graph editor, I select my all my keyframes successfully, I copy them. Then I open Laser 2 in the editor, and select it and paste.

AND IT DOESNT WORK. What am I doing wrong? Instead of pasting all of the keyframes (scale x, y, z, position x, y, z etc.) it will only paste the first category even though all were selected for copying and all were selected for pasting.

Am I stupid? Is there not a way to do this? I left my manual at work and I can't find an answer in the message boards.

Please help if you have a solution. I am working on a scene with 50+ ships and was counting on copying these keyframes to make the 400+ laser blasts go.

Any ideas are welcome at this stage.

Thanks in advance.

Dodgy
02-17-2004, 04:08 AM
Use the Scene>Utilties>Generics>Keyframer in transfer>node-to-node motion copy mode. This will probably make your lasers all appear in the same place though unless they're parented to different things...

Alternatively, use the motionOptions>IKand modifiers>Add modifier>Follower on your second laser and get it to follow the first. Then use the copy and paste modifier drop down to attach it to all your other lasers, that way if you want to go back and change your first laser, it'll affect everything else...And you can restrict it to just particular channels )say just the Z movement, so they'll stay separate, but all shoot out...

Don't ask me why there's no way to copy sets of keyframes from one object to another :P

Colonelbob
02-17-2004, 08:44 AM
Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately none of those will work for what I need to do. The X and Y position coordinates are different for each laser blast, but the Z, and the 3 scale (xyz) are the same, so I had hoped to just select those 4 categories and mass pasted them into the other ships.

Anybody else got any ideas?

Thanks.

Dodgy
02-17-2004, 08:58 AM
Then go with follower. You can lock off the x/y movement from influence in it, so they won't be affected..

Axis3d
02-17-2004, 06:10 PM
Copying sets of keyframes from one channel to another is very easy in the Graph Editor:

1. Open the Graph Editor and pick a channel with keyframes.
2. Right Click and drag a box around all of the keyframes to select them.

3. Ctrl + Shift + Left Mouse button to bring up the menu.

4. Select Add to Key Bin. Then give a name to your keyframes so you can identify them in a list.

5. Select the channel of your next object where you want these keyframes to go.

6. Put your mouse over the frame 0 keyframe and Ctrl + Shift + LMB and pick Insert From Key Bin. Select the name you made earlier. The range of keyframes is pasted into the channel.

Make sure there are no keyframes in that channel or the new ones will be pasted after them.

Dodgy
02-18-2004, 04:41 AM
Wow, I never knew that! Thanks Axis!!!!

That's two new things I've learnt today!

Colonelbob
02-18-2004, 05:41 AM
Ok that sounds cool,

Can I copy multiple channels at once?

e.g. the position Z, scale x, scale y, and scale z?

Or just do one channel at a time?

Thanks

Dodgy
02-18-2004, 09:48 AM
I'd say try it and see :)

But to save you a little bit of time, it only works with one channel at a time...

Matt
02-18-2004, 09:56 AM
I know this doesn't help but LW8 will make things like this cake! :)

Axis3d
02-18-2004, 05:59 PM
You do have to copy the channels one at a time with this method. When I want to copy all the motion from one object, I use: Ctrl + Shift + LMB > Motions > Save Motion File. Then select your other object, Ctrl + Shift + LMB > Motions > Load Motion File. Simple, fast. Hopefully, LW8 will have some improvements on this.