PDA

View Full Version : Too Much for VT to Handle?

tigerbill
02-16-2004, 05:10 PM
My problem is that my project (30 minutes in length) takes what I consider a long time to load into the VT (15 to 30 minutes) and once it does load (and it doesn't always load successfully), I cannot play it back nor render it out without the VT freezing up and requiring a restart.

I contacted Newtek Support by phone and they suggested the usual things like running the file cleaning software from the VT followed by file defrag and I did all of that but I'm still having the problem.

I'm running the VT 2 (3890 build) on a dual Xeon 2.0 machine with 1 gig of ram, which according to Newtek Support should be enough because I'm not using many still images that actually use system ram.

Here's what my project consists of: A single video stream overlayed by a second video motion graphics stream; about half of the segments that make up the project use 4 audio tracks; some of the video has been color corrected using the VT, some of the overlayed video uses PIP.

Has anyone experienced this type of problem when creating projects that are similiarly complex? At this point, I'm not sure if I have a computer or VT hardware problem or if I've reached the VT's limit as far as processing power.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

videoguy
02-17-2004, 06:33 AM
I think it is the Host computer. i routinely load projects with 300 clips up to 3 hours long and they load in under almost instanly. i have a 2,8 dual xeon and 1 gig of ram. Did you build the system yourself or buy turnkey from a dealer? Once possible solution is to do a complete format of the system drive reinstall windows and vt3 only. and see if that helps some third party software might be causing problems. also what type of graphics card do you have ?

tigerbill
02-17-2004, 08:03 AM
I bought a turnkey system from a dealer who installed a GeForce2 MX 32mb AGP Dual-monitor video card. I questioned the low amount of ram on the video card and the dealer said that it was fine unless I would be doing lots of work with other graphic software outside of the VT.

Do you keep all of your project related clips (i.e., video, audio, CGs, and still images) on your SCSI video drives or some on your IDES? I'm wondering if that makes any difference as far as initial project load times go?

I will try to reload the VT as you suggest.

Thanks.

ted
02-17-2004, 09:01 AM
Are your clips .rtv's? If not render the clips individually as .rtv's. This will help some.

If you have any GFX, change those to .png's. Those use the least resources on VT.

For final output, try and render parts as single .rtv's if needed.
I forget if VT2 can turn off the icons, (it's been so long), but if it can, turn off the icons and this will help also.

Your project should load. If incredibly long and complex moving things might be slow, but the project should load so you can add a force render.
If it's not loading, I'm guessing there is something taxing your computer resources, or there is something else going on.
Has this always been a problem? Have you recently updated or added any software? Any windows updates?

Lastly, upgrade to VT3! :p
I wish you luck.

videoguy
02-17-2004, 09:21 AM
make sure to format thae hard drive and then reload windows and VT its possible that you could have virus or nasty spyware crud thats taxing system resources. i store all my video clips and graphics on my video raid which is 4 western digital 120gb ide drives raided with an escalade 7500 .

hruffin3
02-17-2004, 04:00 PM
i have experienced clips stuttering when using longer clips that had audio too, but was also having raid problems but what i did notice was that the clips played fine without the audio loaded. the raid did have a cable problem but vt2 does seem to devote a lot less cpu time to audio .... maybe if you mix down your audio to 1 track it will play better - using a single p4 with 2 gigs of ram. :rolleyes:

tigerbill
02-17-2004, 04:18 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions. I will try them and, yes, I'm looking forward to upgrading to VT3 but I'm not looking forward to upgrading my dual Xeons to at least 2.4 - Ouch!, that won't be cheap. :)

Jim_C
02-17-2004, 04:44 PM
IMO your current system will be fine for VT3 once you figure out this kink.
I am running T3 on dual 2.0's at home and dual 1.8's at home, both with no problem or labor.
The only extra drag I found when I switched from 2 to 3 is projects with a lot of oversized stll images can slo down the system, but there are ways around that too.

Don't believe the folks who insist T3 will not run properly with less than 2.4's.

Jim

tigerbill
02-18-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Jim_C
IMO your current system will be fine for VT3 once you figure out this kink.
I am running T3 on dual 2.0's at home and dual 1.8's at home, both with no problem or labor... Don't believe the folks who insist T3 will not run properly with less than 2.4's.
Jim

Thanks for the tip, Jim. That's good to know. I'll definitely try it. It was Newtek Tech Support who told me certain things won't work in VT3 running on dual 2.0's. :cool:

Thanks again.
Bill