PDA

View Full Version : Modeler

Qslugs
02-10-2003, 11:27 AM
For thoes of you that haven't already checked it out, take a look over at Wings 3d and download the program (wings3d.com). It's free so there is no reason not to give it a look over. Next sit down with it for a few hours and figure out how it works and actually build something with it. It can even be something simple, but build something. Next, realize what needs updated in LW modeler. This program (wings 3d), is incredible. It's only been a week that I have been usingit, but I love it more and more every time I use it. Yes I do agree it's a clone/ripoff of Marai and Nendo, for thoes of you that have seen these apps and read the disclaimer on the Wings page, you'll know that that is the idea. Anyway, I plan on using this package (Wings 3d) for the majority of my modeling work from now on. And while I would be quite happy continuing to use this program, I would like to see the speed, ease of use and functionality translated over to LW. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Skonk
02-10-2003, 11:32 AM
I'll check it out :)

James..

Skonk
02-10-2003, 01:18 PM
Well iv tried it, and to be honest its not my cup of tea. Id much rather just use Modeler.

James..

Joril
02-10-2003, 01:19 PM
It's very nice indeed, it (almost) rivals MAX as a modeler.
However, I still like LW modeler more.

Qslugs
02-10-2003, 02:47 PM
Well I think it is important for everyone to see that there are other options available, and exactaly what thoes options are, and what they do. While I know everyone is not going to drop modeler for Wings (I wouldn't expect anyone to do that), the main point is to see what that app does differently and why. I plan on using Wings to do fine tuning and tweaking of my models. My main point for this post was for the LW developers to see. I think they are the ones that really need to take a look at this app to see what it does and why. That is not to say that they are not thinking about modelers best interests. Modeler is a great app and one of the finest poly modelers in the industry. All the rest of you guys, if you do look at it, again take the time to actually see how the app works and try out every tool on a real world model, don't just screw around on a box. And I don't mean to say that you other couple guys that have checked it out did just that, but it took me 3 to 4 days to make everything click. And after that it really did click. Now I am in love. While Lw is a great modeller, I want to see the modeler evolve a bit towards more of the advanced sub-d functionalty that is so apparent in the wings app. BTW... Wings is a true sub-d modeling package.

Skonk
02-10-2003, 04:35 PM
I agree ppl should try out new things, if it works better for someone then they should use it. Iv used nendo in the past aswell as many other 3d apps but personally i work better in a modeler like lightwaves, but i wasn't trying to diss wings3d, its just not the modeler for me. But im toally with u when u say ppl should try it out. Also im totally for anyone trying to create something as complicated as wings3d then giving it away for free. Takes a lot of work.

Just for u i'll follow a few of the tutes on there site just to make sure i dont like it :)

James..

mattclary
02-12-2003, 02:28 PM
OK, totaly not intuitive. Can you even get multiple viewports? No way I'd stop using modeler for this tinkertoy. If I have to look 15 minutes to figure out how to get multiple viewports, it's not a good choice. If you open LW and start looking around... Hey, there's a "Display" tab, go there... Hey, there's "View Options", go there... Hey, that "Viewports" tab just bit me on the ***!

Qslugs
02-12-2003, 04:14 PM
I think you're missing my point.

Edges, the most interresting part of the program, LW dosent have thoes. Did you try working with the edges? I guess you didn't cause you couldn't get past the one viewport. No offence but by blowing off this app you're missing out on a very intuitive and well thought out experience. How about the tighten vertices tool? It's like an interactive smoothing mode. Lw dosen't have that. How about instanced hemispheres that have true mirroring? Mirroring works on any axis the way it should with all tools. How about where you select a bunch of polys then switch to either edges or vertices and the edges/vertices associated with thoes polys are then selected? Yes I know how we can kind of store selections of polys/points while working on one of the other modes, but this is again, another way of doing things. It would be nice to have that option in LW. How about quickly selecting edge loops and edge rings then cutting them? Yes we have bandsaw, but this is instantaneous. Or best yet how about the part where you select one vertice and then another, press connect and you have an entirely new polygon. How about the Ngon support? I thought once that if you had ngon support that you would end up making messy meshes. And even if you have ngons you can select them and turn them into either quads or triangles. So the polys arent stuck as ngons. Look, I know people aren't going to drop a perfectly capiable modeler for this free "Tinkertoy". But again, my main point was to point out that there are some great ways of doing things in this free app. I find it to be a perfectly capiable companion program for modeler. And heres something to think about; unlike Lightwave, Wings 3d- the free "Tinkertoy" app is a true Subdivision surface modeler.

Lamont
02-12-2003, 06:51 PM
Wings, Nendo, Mirai...

Yeah, I used it. The edge tools do rock. I used Wings on my laptop when I had nothing else. Then exported the objects as 3DS and brought into Lightwave when I got home. You can use the app with one hand on the mouse and one on the keyboard.

It models better than 3DS Max. I like Wings and Lightwave both. But the UV tools in Wings needs to be better. What I liked was the weld edges or something. I made holes through my model no problem and it was clean. There's a tool like that for Lightwave.

BTW, on the 64 DD (Released in Japan), there's a 3D App that was released. Like Mario Paint 2. It looks and works a lot like Wings... I heard that they helped develop that modeling app.

There's a tool that will keep associated polys/points selected when you switch between groups for Lightwave.

Why look for "Multiple Viewports"? You can do it all in one.