PDA

View Full Version : Immediate help with logo on glass!!

handron
02-16-2004, 10:33 AM
Sorry to cross post but I'm desperate. I also posted this in "tips and tricks" but I think this forum receives more traffic.

I have a deadline to meet in 2 hrs. I can't figure out how to put a label on a glass surface that stays solid. In other words, I put a logo on a glass surface, in the color channel, and logo is rendering transparent with the glass (it barely shows up). How can I have the glass transparent but the logo a solid black (the logo is lettering). What am I missing? Thanks all. :)

cresshead
02-16-2004, 10:45 AM
this doesn't solve it by opacity mapping but it'll work...
open up in modeller and set your letters [logo text] as a text object in the bg layer...then use drill set to stencil and choose the correct axis.

quick n dirty but it'll work as you now have a separate surface for your text.

steve g

Kvaalen
02-16-2004, 11:05 AM
Basicly create a black and white image of the label where the part you don't want to be transparent is black and the rest white.

Then apply that to the transparency channel and change the blend mode to Alpha.

Hope you make it on time.

John Fornasar
02-16-2004, 08:09 PM
I don't know if this is too late, but here is an example of the Drill/Stencil effect on a plate glass window in the archived forum.
I was trying to get the gold-leaf effect here, but could just as well have had a black logo.

http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/25527.html?#POST94913

Another quick trick is to create your logo and place it a millimeter or so in front of the glass surface. You probably won't be able to tell the difference in the final render, and it can be a hell of a lot quicker to model if you are having a "Bad Drill/Boolean" day.

handron
02-16-2004, 09:01 PM
Thanks all! I submitted the Final render. I was just a tad late but all was well. It was a rendering for a trade show display booth. The lettering wasn't 100% but was close enough to get the effect I needed to show the main idea. The only difference was that the logo I submitted had all black letters. The actual logo has one red letter in the middle. I used a black and white image in the transparency channel. Thanks all for the help. I will still need to learn, for a future freelance job, the proper technique.

Thanks Kvaalen and the rest for the input. :)

Matt
02-17-2004, 02:07 AM
Kvaalens technique does exactly what you want, it's the way I apply imagery to glass too.

handron
02-17-2004, 11:21 AM
Thanks to you too matt. I also saw your comment in the "tips" forum. I still must learn to add color to the logo and put it on glass. I am sure I will encounter this again. For now, I bought some time unitl I can look for more information.:)