PDA

View Full Version : Shrek on NBC last night

guardonduty
02-16-2004, 09:08 AM
Sherk was on NBC last night with trailers for the new release due out in April. Pretty good. I understand the majortiy of Shrek was done with Lightwave. Does anyone know if the new release was also done in Lightwave.

Rich
02-16-2004, 09:33 AM
Actually if they used, Lightwave Dreamworkds/PDI has never given any credit to Newtek. Here is an answer I found on a F.A.Q. about Shrek. http://www.digitalmediafx.com/Shrek/shrekfaq.html

Q: What software was used to create Shrek?

A: PDI, which created Shrek, mostly uses its own proprietary software (like its own Fluid Animation System) for its animated movies. However, for some elements it also took advantage of some of the powerhouse animation programs available to the public. This is particularly true with Maya, which PDI used for most of its dynamic cloth animation and for the hair of Fiona and Farquaad. Photoshop was also used quite a bit in the art department. There was also a touch of Softimage used in the movie. But most of the software used was PDI exclusive, created by its research and development team.

cresshead
02-16-2004, 09:34 AM
i don't think lightwave featured much in shrek...more like maya or xsi..or houdini plus the studio have their own software and renderers as well..maybe lightwave provided some models...but it def was not the main app to make it....of course the jimmy neutron film was nearly all lightwave ..with only the additionof messiah for some character animation.

steve g

anieves
02-16-2004, 10:16 AM
If I remember correctly They used alot of Maya for the environments; you know, trees, grass, mud, etc. I have never heard of LW in that flick.

gjjackson
02-16-2004, 10:30 AM
The making of..., that I had seen they used Maya for most all of it. I didn't see where they said what renderer was used. If I remember they used some proprietary shaders for faces etc. They did write many of their own proprietary tools, such as facial animation, using many, many sliders.

Paul_Boland
02-16-2004, 11:52 AM
Fingers crossed that Shrek 2 has a better story then Shrek 1. The first half of the original movie was fantastic! I was glued to the t.v. when my young cousin put it on in his house. The castle scenes in particular were stunning!!!! But then it drop off a cliff and flatlined! It went from a great action packed story to a love story and while the graphical content still keep me interested, I totally gave up on the story.

I buy all 3D movies that come out, on DVD. I want picture perfect quality and I want all the behind the scenes stuff. I even bought Barbie of Swan Lake because the graphical content was very interesting and the story was not bad. But Shrek is the only title I don't own because of the story.

A truly fantastic feast for the eyes, let down by the terrible second half of the story.

Titus
02-16-2004, 01:27 PM
Watch the new trailer here:

http://www.shrek2.com

Alan Daniels
02-16-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Paul_Boland
It went from a great action packed story to a love story and while the graphical content still keep me interested, I totally gave up on the story.

I always thought Shrek had a sort of mean-spirited undertone to it, which didn't ruin the movie for me, but kept from enjoying it as much as would have otherwise. Nothing major, just lots of little things, such as the Gingerbread Man having the leg missing, their making fun of Lord Farquad's (sp?) height, etc. Maybe just that Shrek himself was never all that likeable. The movie seemed like it could never quite bring itself to be an actual kid's movie. Hard for me to describe, I suppose.

The animation was good, though, and if it weren't for the tone of the movie, I'd own it on DVD.

HowardM
02-16-2004, 01:44 PM
I dunno Alan, sounds personal?
Shrek himself not likeable? why not?
Shrek was one of those wonderful kids/adult movies.
Obviously there was some adult humour...maybe thats why you thought it was dark?
I think it was more a teenage/adult movie, not for young children.

Shrek 2 looks AWESOME! Seems like theyve perfected the hyperrealism look of the humans, and Donkey at the end of the trailer looks great - Hope its funny!

cresshead
02-16-2004, 02:46 PM
i dunno..i liked shrek alot because they were not "perfect" disney style cardboard cutout characters...they had their bad point in each character but on balance you liked them..much like real people so it was for me quite refreshing and the ending def was not a disney affair..if it were then she would have remained a thin and beutiful bride for shrek and shrek wold have turned into a barbie style prince!...yuk!

the only cgi major film i havm't bought is iceage as the storyline stunk so bad that i never wanted to see it again.

cresshead
02-16-2004, 04:07 PM
just downloaded the shrek 2 trailer..looks amazing...looking forward to this and the new jimmy neutron film this year.

jamesl
02-16-2004, 04:35 PM
I used to work at Dreamworks Feature Animation, which contributed heavily to the design and story aspects of Shrek, and I can assure you that there was no Lightwave used at all. 90% of the film was proprietary ('emo' for animation, 'Light' for rendering, 'Flu' for fluid dynamics), but some Maya was used for Fx and dynamics. Same for Shrek2, which has a very good story from what I remember.

cheers,

j

Alan Daniels
02-16-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by HowardM
I dunno Alan, sounds personal?
Shrek himself not likeable? why not?
I think it was more a teenage/adult movie, not for young children.

Nothing personal Howard, it's just a movie. :) I didn't dislike it, I just thought it lacked a certain charm that most great animated movies have. When a movie stars an anti-hero such as Shrek (the character, that is), they typically try to make him "gruff but loveable" so you'll cheer him on, but the only vibe I ever got was the "gruff" part. Maybe because he spent too much of the movie complaining and being rude to people/donkeys who hadn't done anything to antagonize him. So even though the movie itself was interesting to watch, there was never much about him that made me want to root for him, or even care or not if he succeeded.

Interesting thought: I remember reading an article in Wired a few months back, where they interviewed a couple of the animators who had worked on Shrek. They said they had originally made Princess Fiona (do I have that name right? Been a while since I've seen it) a lot more photo-realistic, but they decided to back off, and ended up with the more cartoonish look they had in the movie. Their stated reason: "It felt like we were animating a corpse." Guess that doesn't bother them any more. :D

jamesl
02-16-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Alan Daniels
Nothing personal Howard, it's just a movie. :) I didn't dislike it, I just thought it lacked a certain charm that most great animated movies have. When a movie stars an anti-hero such as Shrek (the character, that is), they typically try to make him "gruff but loveable" so you'll cheer him on, but the only vibe I ever got was the "gruff" part. Maybe because he spent too much of the movie complaining and being rude to people/donkeys who hadn't done anything to antagonize him. So even though the movie itself was interesting to watch, there was never much about him that made me want to root for him, or even care or not if he succeeded.

Interesting thought: I remember reading an article in Wired a few months back, where they interviewed a couple of the animators who had worked on Shrek. They said they had originally made Princess Fiona (do I have that name right? Been a while since I've seen it) a lot more photo-realistic, but they decided to back off, and ended up with the more cartoonish look they had in the movie. Their stated reason: "It felt like we were animating a corpse." Guess that doesn't bother them any more. :D

Why do you say that? They're still using the same design. :confused:

j

Matt
02-17-2004, 02:11 AM
I thought Shrek was hilarious, the second looks to be just as funny.

"And here comes sleeping beauty . . . thump" - LOL!!!
(watch the new trailer to understand what I'm talking about!)

Alan Daniels
02-17-2004, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by jamesl
Why do you say that? They're still using the same design. :confused:

Because of what HowardM said:"Seems like they've perfected the hyperrealism look of the humans". Based on that, I had presumed they had improved the look of the CG humans for the sequel, although I haven't seen the trailer yet due to bandwidth problems.

cresshead
02-17-2004, 04:50 AM
shrek has a definate "edge" to it's humour that brings in teenagers and the 20-30 crowd as wel as children and their parents...

pixar is more focused at children and their parents with a small amount of CGI freaks too...is misses the target on the teenagers and 20-30 crowd..it still pulls some of them but not to the same degree as shrek...though pixar do get round this at the box office by having families watching it 2-3 times in the cinema which pumps up the audience figures like what happened to titanic.

BeeVee
02-17-2004, 05:48 AM
Hey Cresshead,

Are you a fan of Tron? I only ask because you have End of Line in your sig. I watched it again for the umpty umpth time this weekend and wanted to look at the end credits. I didn't realise until I was going through them that Peter "Londo Mollari" Jurasik was in the film! He plays Crom, the program that gets out of breath just calculating the interest rate on T-Bills at the start of the film...

B

cresshead
02-17-2004, 06:07 AM
yeah absolutley!

TRON was THE film that got me interested in 3D... the next one to make an impact on me was jurassic park....then titannic for it's hyper real fx.

and londo....in tron!...didn't know that..i'll take another look at tron!

BTW babylon 5 is THE coolest scifi film/serise ever.
..second up is aliens.

okay people back on topic!

shrek!................:cool:

WilliamVaughan
02-17-2004, 06:35 AM
LightWave wasn't used on Shrek 2

videoguy
02-17-2004, 06:42 AM
thats too bad. I think the Hollywood Elite Companies dont give products a fair chance unless they cost more then BMW

guardonduty
02-17-2004, 08:04 AM
Proton

Was Lightwave used on the first Shrek

WilliamVaughan
02-17-2004, 08:12 AM
I would have to ask....

A few LightWave artists that I know are working on Shrek 2 but they said no LightWave is being used.

dwburman
02-17-2004, 08:20 AM
I know a bunch of people who liked Shrek. I bought it because I liked it. Then again I am in the target demo... just turned 30. I don't have little kids so I don' t have to worry about what they're seeing. Shrek is like Antz in it being an edgier, darker movie than other animated films.

Just my $.02

:D

Alan Daniels
02-17-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by videoguy
thats too bad. I think the Hollywood Elite Companies dont give products a fair chance unless they cost more then BMW

Haha, hey Proton, whenever the studios come asking, tell em that LW costs $20 grand a pop. We promise not to tell. :D

Hervé
02-17-2004, 10:25 AM
the site for Shrek2 is very cool....

Hervé
02-17-2004, 10:29 AM
one thing the Motion Pictures of America should definitly change is their greenish horrible panel in the begining of movies.... too green, font is terrible.... I know it looks official, but then just white on black would be enough...

0,01 cent

Paul_Boland
02-17-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by cresshead
just downloaded the shrek 2 trailer..looks amazing...looking forward to this and the new jimmy neutron film this year.

New Jimmy Neutron movie!!!! I love Jimmy Neutron. I watch the cartoons on television and own the movie on DVD. I didn't know there was a second movie in the works! Any details?