PDA

View Full Version : lightwave or cinema4d

alienesque
03-13-2003, 12:37 AM
hi...a question thats probably been posted a 1000 times but im new here so ill give it a go:-)

ive got a 6 years 3d experience (mostly formZ) and want to move up to more animation/effects.

im looking at buying either cinema 4d or lightwave (maye maya too)..but really dont know what to do..i dont want to make the wrong decision for the obvious reasons (money and time wasted learning the wrong program)..i understand also that different programs all have strong points..but from the examples ive seen here and elswhere..lightwave does seem to produce better looking images..maybe this is down to the users..???

ive also read that there are problems with lightwave and the mac (G4)..is this really a big problem?.
thanks for reading and any help would be appreciated
shaun:-)

Ade
03-13-2003, 03:28 AM
Lightwave far more mature, far more satisfying.

alienesque
03-13-2003, 03:49 AM
hi ade..thanks..thats what im starting to realize..just seems more proffesional,

what do you think are the biggest differences between lightwave and maya?

Darth Mole
03-13-2003, 05:55 AM
Cinema has improved dramatically, but it still falls way short of LW in my opinion. However, it IS is inexpensive and has separate support for things like dynamics, volumetrics and character animation.

For me, the big difference between LW and Maya is that I can get things done so much faster in LW. I've only scrapedd the surface of Maya but couldn't even suss out how to make and texture a sphere without seriously following the manual. The learning curve with LW is way shallower, and results easier to achieve.

(Also, after complaining about Layout and Modeller being two applications, I've now come to appreciate the advantages. It's a weir, unique way of working but it now feels wrong when I move to other apps.)

alienesque
03-13-2003, 06:10 AM
cheers DARTH:-)

yep..ive just downloaded the maya test learn free download thing..bought jaguar so it runs...got it all installed..and its working...it seems actually very similar to cinema in its layout...but i think id need a few weeks to check it out properly enough to make even a vague judgement...ive still yet though to see better quality images than lightwave produces i must say...again..maybe lightwave users are just..'better'...:-)

thanks a lot
shaun:-)

Ade
03-13-2003, 10:32 AM
I believe that Lightwave is optimised the most for mac than maya or c4d.
Lightwave has the fastest render engine being at 128-bit, best radiostiy and most important of all - THE BEST ONLINE COMMUNITY bar none!
maya has great things too like animation handling but Im sure LW 8 will leap ahead again. Sasquatch is just to die for, best for creating hair and grass and crap.

There is no community larger than LW online.
There are just soo many pages and help which is the most over looked thing when a newbie is thinking about 3d packages.

Lynx3d
03-13-2003, 11:49 AM
Well the german C4D community is pretty big too...

C4D has imrpoved quite a bit, but they are still working on patches to make XL8 work properly, theXL8.1 update just had a few major bugs again...i'd be pissed off honestly...

Plus i have yet to see someone doing serious character animation with Cinema4d...but maybe i'm looking at the wrong places.
The era of hundrets of free plugins is somewhat ending too, quite a few are becoming commercial from what i can say.
Can't say anything about Maya, but i'd still prefer LW over Cinema, otherwise i'd use Cinema of course :D
So asking this in a LW forum gets pretty biased answers :p

serpicolugnut
03-13-2003, 12:30 PM
I believe that Lightwave is optimised the most for mac than maya or c4d.

Actually, I've read the opposite. C4D even offers a benchmarking tool that you can use to measure performance between machines/platforms etc.

LW on the Mac is hardly what I would call "optimized". Unless by "optimized" you mean much slower than the Windows version....

Lynx3d
03-13-2003, 02:07 PM
Hehe but i don't think C4D makes the Mac more desireable...

just found some scores of Cinebench 2003 with a dual G4 1,25GHz, Radeon 9000 Pro
( http://www.macnightowl.com/news/2003/03/week2.htm at the bottom)
rendering single CPU: 119
rendering multiple CPU: 208
viewport:
C4D shading: 148
OpenGL Hardware Lighting: 552

My not really new Dual Athlon 1800+ with even older GeForce2:

Rendering (Single CPU): 191 CB-CPU
Rendering (Multiple CPU): 355 CB-CPU

Multiprocessor Speedup: 1.85

Shading (CINEMA 4D) : 199 CB-GFX
Shading (OpenGL Software Lighting) : 841 CB-GFX
Shading (OpenGL Hardware Lighting) : 923 CB-GFX

MelC
03-15-2003, 03:38 AM
<<<Well the german C4D community is pretty big too...

C4D has imrpoved quite a bit, but they are still working on patches to make XL8 work properly, theXL8.1 update just had a few major bugs again...i'd be pissed off honestly... >>>

Cinema 4d is BY FAR the most stable of the major 3d apps, at least on MAC. LW is, alternately, OK or, often a MESS. Even the people I know who are most intense LW fans confirm this. Crashes can be common and the causes long-lived and not FIXED for long periods of time. Workarounds are common (maybe one reason for all the LW web pages people brag about.)

C4D 8.1 adds additional features. It is not a fix of "Major bugs."

True, there are sometimes a few bugs, but they are usually quickly fixed and not FATAL bugs like so many in LW. App crashes are very uncommon in C4D.

<<<Plus i have yet to see someone doing serious character animation with Cinema4d...but maybe i'm looking at the wrong places. >>>
Ummm, yeah, probably so. Keep watching.

<<The era of hundrets of free plugins is somewhat ending too, quite a few are becoming commercial from what i can say.
Can't say anything about Maya, but i'd still prefer LW over Cinema, otherwise i'd use Cinema of course
So asking this in a LW forum gets pretty biased answers>>
I appreciate your candor. I am not debating your opinion, just offering mine.

One more thing I often see people harping on and might mention is people claiming that C4D is "plastic looking." It isn't in the hands of an experienced user. Honestly, I see the largest VOLUME of crap-work posted by the multitude of amateur users of 3D max, followed by ......ahh, who cares. Great results with C4D are not only possible but not very hard. But as a wise author once said..."Eighty percent of books are garbage. Of course, eighty percent of EVERYTHING is garbage." Or, put another way, nearly 50% of the work shown is BELOW AVERAGE! BY DEFINITION!

good luck everyone

alienesque
03-15-2003, 04:10 AM
thanks all...i still havnt decided though:-)..very tricky...

thanks anyway for trying to help on something that has probably no answer.
shaun