PDA

View Full Version : LEGIT question- Is the hub working perfectly in LW8 mac?

Ade
02-15-2004, 08:23 PM
Many of us have disabled it cause it causes crashes in renderings and simply doesnt work at all.
I would like to have a full working hub but cant.

Is it working 100% in lw8 mac?

Brett H.
02-15-2004, 08:37 PM
Has it EVER worked perfectly on any platform?
:confused:

Hervé
02-16-2004, 01:25 AM
ha ha....:D

Dillon
02-16-2004, 01:26 AM
About 97% of the time I can get the Hub to work as advertised.

I'm on a PC.

What I do before I start any session - I launch modeler, and then quit it. I launch layout and then quit it. And then I relaunch modeler, and hit F12. Everything is pretty much synced up beautifully from there on out.

I've not had any file corruption issues ever since I worked this into my work flow. But just in case, I save my files incrementally (Name01.lws Name02.lws ... etc).

Dillon

Ade
02-16-2004, 01:52 AM
On the mac 5% of the time it works, 90% the time it crashes layout.

Theres some sort of memory leak from it that causes render crashes and it doesnt even auto shutdown nor even update a model.

There has been no mention of hub in lw8.

blabberlicious
02-16-2004, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by Ade
On the mac 5% of the time it works, 90% the time it crashes layout.

There has been no mention of hub in lw8.

That's not strictly true - I made similair comments, that Chuck spiit off into a thread called 'What's fixed in LW8' - a few weeks ago.

I asked the same questions re The Hub, Viper, Multithreading, etc, and got a respone from one of the development team - along the lines of 'we know the issues, but fixing them is part of a very daunting list of things we have to do - on top of everything else.

I really hope that means that LW8 will be NTs concerted effort to 'harmonise' much of what was buggy in 7.

Meanwhile, during the protracted wait for LW8, I've started learning Maya - as its more fun than scouring the forums for a clue to what's going on.

I'd be less inclined to do that if NT would communicate to the Mac users in this forum (or their cutomer mailing list) about the release date and 'contents' of the 7.5d mac version of LW.

It's monday, so excuse the miserable tone :-)

Pleae guys, throw us a bone.

Cheerio

Nemoid
02-16-2004, 03:17 AM
Be sure to post this and other annoying Mac related bugs to the bugs mail address of Nt team. they need alot of Mac feedback IMO.

cresshead
02-16-2004, 07:11 AM
i'm about to go for a mac [my first] for lightwave and the prospect of simple dvd burning..yet i'm holding back on this now due to the current issues with the mac OSX version not working properly..now i've read about the hub not working and actually crashing lightwave is really not nice to hear...looks like i'll either wait till i hear better things about the mac version being fixed or the new lightwave 8 when it finally makes it's debut and see just where lw8 is for mac...in the meantime i maybe better off buying a cheap pc from dell to increase my render capability and ditch the mac for the time being if it's so bad.

any commetns from mac users would help as i'd like the idea of a mac but do not wish to also gain huge headaches from using one with lightwave 7 or 8

steve g

jeremyhardin
02-16-2004, 12:08 PM
well i'll post some positive comments then. I run 7.5c with the hub on Mac OS X 10.2.8 on a dual 800Mhz G4 w/ 256mb of ram. nothing too fancy. yet I use lw on a regular basis. Most days without crashing. And while it does occasionally, if you save your work often, nothing lost.

cheers

Ade
02-16-2004, 07:37 PM
Its not good enough to have it working somtimes...

I learned the hard way while I had a deadline that it was the hub that was crashing renders.
Now any newcomer who tries LW then finds it keeps crashing has to come here and research how to fix it.

toma
02-17-2004, 05:20 AM
…for me, the hub works ok with simple scene, so I use it at the begining of my work, mostly to adjust light, textures and camera, then I disable it when the scene become loaded with objects… and every time I launch the final rendering !

tip 1 : the easiest way to disable the hub is to rename it, just replace "hub" by "-hub" with the finder, no need to play with cmdlines…

tip 2 : the hub writes incrementals backups of your modified lwo in a invisible folder in /private/temp/501/cleanup at startup/lwhub/, so find this folder and make an alias of it, then if lightwave crash you'll be able to find the objects you were working on, even if you didn't save them (I think a backup is made each time you hit F12)…

thomas…

Nemoid
02-17-2004, 09:31 AM
Lw is not the only app wich works bad in Mac. however I'm wondering just why Mac users have to kill Hub and why it doesn't work.

Talked with a friend last day, wich works both in PC and Mac,just because i'd like to work into a Mac for 3D, and he says working with Lw in Mac is sometimes a pain in the *****. why? i asked.and he said Nt had not great feedback from Mac users, to debug correctly the app for them. and also that Mac 3D artists are only a few. this was his opinion at least.

But i always wonder if a Mac is a good machine for 3D apps at all. only few of them, Like Cinema4D are well optimized for Mac and work great. but not all the companies have a great interest on Mac developing.(even if I think Nt is changing this philosophy in this period)

Also, IMO the Mac computers are great and Kool 2D professional graphic machines, but the 90% of 3D artists and related studios, run 3D apps into PC, especially for animation even at Pixar, while Macs are used for all the rest (post pro, color correction editing, sound, texture drawing, print setup etc. )

This being said its clear that hub HAVE to work properly for Mac.