PDA

View Full Version : zoom with mouse

griffin42
02-15-2004, 04:46 PM
I'm new to Lightwave and used to modeling in Maya. I would really like to see a CTRL + Middle Mouse type of shortcut for smoothly zooming in and out on the viewports. It's nice to have and real handy for setting up lights and cameras.
Thanks,
Griffin

(If there's a way to do this and i missed it can you point me in the right direction?)

eacide
02-15-2004, 06:35 PM
the key with LW is Alt + ctrl to zoom ;)
Alt shift to pan
Alt to rotate

jeanphi
02-16-2004, 07:15 AM
In 7.5 Layout , you can use the weel with "alt" to zoom but it's better to use "alt"+"ctrl" and move right/left.

griffin42
02-16-2004, 10:07 AM
Thank You! I couldn't get that figured out.

griffin42
02-17-2004, 12:12 AM
Wait! Can you use the CTRL+ALT + LMB to place lights and cameras? That's ultimately what I'm after.

jeanphi
02-17-2004, 05:53 AM
You can only afect the perspective view with alt or alt+ctrl or alt+shift.
For lights and cameras you can to use local coordinate system and move them on Z local axis to "zoom". You can use focal lens for camera too but it's a bit different.

By the way, ctrl is also a quick swap from current coordinate system to local coordinate system. Press the ctrl key and you will move or rotate in local with lmb/rmb.
In this "mode", handles stay in the current coordinate system, so don't use them, they will not show you the right axis (most of the time if you rotate it befor).
When you rotate/move without handles make sure you disable "left mouse button select items". Use only mmb to select and lmb/rmb to rotate, move, strech,...
As items are selected you can move/rotate them without having to be "pointing on items/handles" like in Maya. You can be anywhere on any 3D viewport, this is a great aventage. Having mmb to select only will prevent unexpected selections while rotating and vice versa.
This is what I realy like in LW and I miss in others softwares like Maya, Max...