PDA

View Full Version : UV Unwrapping - this good! :)

Matt
02-15-2004, 02:34 PM
Can we have unwrapping of UVs this good please! :)

(Taken from http://www.virtualcinematography.org/)

Capt Lightwave
02-16-2004, 03:01 AM
..........wow..........amazing.

CB_3D
02-16-2004, 11:32 AM
yummie.

jin choung
02-16-2004, 01:24 PM
actually,

i just hope that there's someone on the newtek programming staff who regularly reads articles like this and can understand it in its entirety.

i wish i was more hip on the math stuff so i can understand what the hell they're actually doing to interpolate from the 0th subdivision step get a uvmap with no distortion.

jin

Matt
02-17-2004, 02:38 AM
Hey Jin, you're not the only one, I just like the pictures! :)

RUdiger
02-17-2004, 04:40 AM
This "Pelting" technique was presented at SIGGRAPH a few years ago. It is a very difficult process, because you have to pick the edges where you will 'slice' your animal open, then attach its skin to springs at all those points. Then the springs act in a cloth simulation to pull the skin flat. It is just like you would do to make a nice animal rug. I think you can do it to a real animal, and cut in the same places, then put the skin on the scanner. The remainder should be dredged in meal and dropped in boiling oil before serving.

Alan Daniels
02-17-2004, 11:39 AM
Man, that is go-geous. Thanks for posting that, Matt!

JDaniel
02-17-2004, 01:45 PM
That's ironic, cause I'm waiting to here back from Newtek about something similar I enquired about, from an idea I had.
It is using LW 8 ClothFX and the unsew feature to do this same thing! :eek:

Revanto
02-18-2004, 12:12 AM
Have any of you guys read the other papers? I'm not techno savvy but I did get a gist going. I was interested in the paper about the hair especially the hair shadows. I liked the idea of speeding up the OpenGL hair shadows by the using a proxy method of shading (I can't put the exact process into words). I wonder if Worley uses the same technique in Sasquatch?

Revanto

Lynx3d
02-21-2004, 12:57 PM
Holy c.....

that's one rad paper! Gotta look into that more closely...when i have a bit more time :(
Don't want to write all those IT exams again :rolleyes:

somnambulance
07-21-2005, 09:09 AM
I have been using Modo to unwrap my UV's. I cant stand doing it in LW anymore, it is very frustrating now because it is so outdated. Some sort of improvment to the UV unwrapping in LW would be nice.

Nemoid
07-21-2005, 09:49 AM
cool images. isn't there a commercial app to do uv unwrapping ?i seem to remember there's a good one i saw on the web some days ago :cool:

CB_3D
07-21-2005, 10:28 AM
unfold3d.com

stompbox
07-21-2005, 01:39 PM
This is kind of changing the subject a bit, and probably preaching to the converted, but I'm currently doing some UV mapping and the Relax UV plugin (http://lynx.aspect-design.de/plugins/relax_uv_info.htm) is pretty cool.

Here's my notes, ripped straight from my dorky LW blog, may be of some use to other relative newbies out there:

This plugin does NOT magically rip great UV maps.

BUT it is a good tool to use during manual "pelting" to minimise stretching.
I use it this way:

STEP 1 -
Manually rip a map, stretch tweak and tidy it a bit by hand, then run "relax UVs" to take out some of the distortion. (Check "Lock boundary" and "Quad Substructure")

Then manually fix any issues caused by "relax UV".
- it may have caused overlap around holes: eyes, mouth, ears

STEP 2 -
Set up dual window display, one side UV display and the other textured wire, perspective view.

In surface editor assign a checkered test texture to the surface using the new UV map. Select the polys where the texture has the most stretching, and run "relax UVs" again on those polys only. You may need to go back (undo) deselect some polys and rerun "relax UVs", to isolate the relax area of effect.

STEP 3 -
Now, instead of a mess of distortion, your checkered test texture is largely pretty cool, with some small areas of obvious stretching. On the textured wire perspective view you can select points where the texture is stretched, and move the points in the UV display window, to make your UV map rad in a relatively short space of time.

Ztreem
07-23-2005, 11:57 AM
I would love a feature like this in LW. For now I use the Unfold3D demo version, works for small objects( max 1000 triangles). Do it manually in LW is out of the question with today's toolset.(Would take forever)

somnambulance
07-24-2005, 10:15 PM
Unwrapping UV's in LW is such a pain in the ***. In Modo you can move your UV center around and look at the result before you commit, so basic and makes it SOOO much easier.

Dodgy
07-25-2005, 03:49 AM
http://lynx.aspect-design.de/plugins/texguide2_info.htm

Try this for interactive placement of uvs.

somnambulance
07-28-2005, 03:06 PM
I will try it tonight and let you know if it makes the cut.

LW3D
08-06-2005, 05:30 AM
I think UV Unwrap is one of the must have tool in LightWave9. Because every other application will have this feature soon. we need some kind of pelting staff for getting undistorted UV Map.. Please NewTek developers, please add this feature in new LightWave..

LW3D
08-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Please look at this page... CySlice UV Layout.. Very good example what we want :) please LightWave Developer's take a look and give us good UV tools..

http://www.headus.com/au/uvlayout/egtorso/index.html