PDA

View Full Version : Why is LW rendering hidden polygons?

Intuition
02-15-2004, 11:40 AM
Been using lightwave since 4.0.

Just noticed today that Lightwave is rendering completely useless information every frame.

I have ships in space with lots of interior parts. WHen I used to render stuff in lightwave it would remove the hidden polygons and only render the polygon that had the nearest visible pixels.

Now I see Lightwave rendering layers and layers of stuff you wont see because it eventually gets covered up by the neare (to the camera) polygons/pixels.

This is a huge waste of rendering time and is uneccesary.

Perhaps I missed the"remove hidden polygon" checkbox somewhere in the newer versions. I haven't notcied this till today and am unsure how long (versions) its been doing this.

All I know is that even if you were using radiosity the nearest/visible polygon/pixles should be the only information accounted for, the pixel visible could ratrace its shading form all points. the scene does not need to render the walls past the walls that will be in the scene.

Please let me know if I have just made a stupid error in not reading up on the newer manuals or something.

Using 7.5 build 572.

-EsHrA-
02-15-2004, 01:35 PM
try this > trick (http://www.funnyfarm.tv/thelab/rendertrick.htm)

mlon

riki
02-15-2004, 04:45 PM
I haven't tried that trick myself but I think it's been generally discredited in the CG Talk forum.

Lewis
02-15-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by riki
I haven't tried that trick myself but I think it's been generally discredited in the CG Talk forum.

IT does work but not always as he said

"It doesn't work with all scenes, but I got several mails stating a render increase from 200% to 1000%!"

It's just dependable on your scene ;). I have oen so called transparent plane and i load tha tin heavy raytracer scenes to chekc is there any difference in speed and use it if needed but in some scenes it did help pretty fine.