PDA

View Full Version : Europeans can't take advantage of Dollar rate!!

benhaines
02-15-2004, 10:03 AM
Hi,

just wanting to get something off my chest!

I'm p*ssed off that europeans can't take advantage of the good exchange rate and upgrade to Lightwave 8.0 for a good price. Enough said...

Will just have to save harder :)

Ben

phil lawson
02-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Hi Ben

Another hundred quid harder ;)

Just ordered mine for around the £400 mark. Couldn't let that DFX+ offer go to waste any longer. :)

Cheers.

Aegis
02-15-2004, 10:33 AM
You'd get bitten anyway - customs levies quite a nasty import duty on software based on the value of the item. Ironically there's no import duty on hardware. :confused: Maybe now's the time to get a kick a** GFX card from the US...

KillMe
02-15-2004, 11:19 AM
might not be able to get the good rate on the upgrade but its a good time to get sasquatch etc =) i got it for a bargin price =) - of cource g2 darktree etc etc loads of stuff you can take advantage of it on

Aegis
02-15-2004, 12:43 PM
but its a good time to get sasquatch etc

True but sadly I've got the VT[3] version of LightWave 7.5c and none of Worley's plugins work on it :(

I really want to get Sasquatch but can't do anything about it until NewTek/Worley Labs sorts the VT[3] dire dongle debacle out... (say that after a few drinks)

benhaines
02-15-2004, 01:27 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one! Maybe I can get my friend to take delivery of it (he's about to start work in NY).

Sorry to hear about the dongle issue, what a pain!!

Phil, where did you get your upgrade from? 400 squids sounds very good! I'm currently on 6.5 :( so I'm going to have to hurry.

Ben

Matt
02-15-2004, 01:52 PM
OT - Ben so when are we going to see that James Busby interview that's been 'coming soon' for years now!!! ;)

riki
02-15-2004, 04:41 PM
It's actually a joy to go shopping at the moment :)

We might not be able to take advantage of buying Newtek soft, but lots of other great things I've been buying at them moment. Shareware, books, fonts etc

BTW Why is the Australian dollar so high at the moment? I think it was below US 50cent at one point and is now around the 80 cent mark.

Beamtracer
02-15-2004, 06:35 PM
If you could purchase upgrades directly from Newtek (Texas) via the net, and bypass Newtek Europe (and other non-US distributors), you'd get a big price saving.

Lightwave is one of the last remaining US-made 3D programs. Many others are from Canada. C4D is from Germany. You'd think the competition from other 3D vendors would be enough to force Newtek Europe to keep price parity with Newtek US.

Ade
02-15-2004, 07:24 PM
Our economy is comodity based..
Enjoy it, its only going to get higher for a while.

Originally posted by riki
It's actually a joy to go shopping at the moment :)

We might not be able to take advantage of buying Newtek soft, but lots of other great things I've been buying at them moment. Shareware, books, fonts etc

BTW Why is the Australian dollar so high at the moment? I think it was below US 50cent at one point and is now around the 80 cent mark.

Aegis
02-15-2004, 07:31 PM
Another great bargain right now for Europeans is Dan Ablan's Signature and Advanced Courseware for LightWave as well as Larry Schultz's Professional Character Series and Introduction to LightWave - well worth investing in. Owners of Dan's courses also get a great discount on the LightWave 8 courseware when it's released!

www.3dgarage.com

www.3dtrainingonline.com

Brett H.
02-15-2004, 08:33 PM
I was wondering about this awhile back, when people were bemoaning the fact that LW was going to cost them more as a physical shipment than a download.

My question: why couldn't someone act as an agent for NT (or any other software company for that matter) to purchase, register, and deliver software to people outside the U.S.? For instance, if I had all the information of a potential buyer, why couldn't I purchase the software for them, register it in their name, and send it to them as a normal parcel? (thereby avoiding customs, since the item has already been purchased and appropriate taxes paid on it). Would that be legal from a customs standpoint? (If I were to buy a music CD and ship it to them, that would be legal, no? And it carries the same copyright/fair-use issues...)

One of the reasons I ask this is that the company I work for used to send a product to Ireland. The customs charges were killing their profit (we were sending the product UPS). The solution was to have their U.S. division purchase the product in the U.S. (and be billed and pay in the U.S.) and then ship the product through USPS (which seems to have a lot looser restrictions on International shipments) as a regular parcel (non-commercial). This proved to be a sound legal strategy, because they were simply sending a product from division to division, not selling a product.

Any opinions? Newtek?

Brett

riki
02-15-2004, 09:09 PM
One of my friends does this, I think he has agents in several different countries that purchase goods locally. You can check them out at.

http://www.dubray.com/

I'm not sure if it's for small purchases or for big corperate buys but here's how it works.

YOU phone or fax with details of your requirements.

WE communicate those directly to our associate company in the relevant market.

THEY act as a domestic client and secure all details including price, availability etc.. your identity is never divulged.

WE provide you with these details in the form of a comprehensive F.I.S. (Free into store) quote in your local currency.

YOU place your order or decline the transaction with no penalty.

WE take your order and deal with purchasing, freight, customs and any other associated matters.

YOU nominate a delivery address and make no payment until product is received.

Maybe worth check out

Hervé
02-15-2004, 11:41 PM
he he I have a question.... can My partner from L.A. buy the LW8 upgrade for me...?

riki
02-15-2004, 11:46 PM
I'm sure they could but you might have trouble upgrading through the local dealer next time. I've heard about problems like this on ebay.

Hervé
02-16-2004, 01:24 AM
then I'll "sell my license to him... he he... he's my bro, no prob here....

cool, let's do that.....:cool:

pauland
02-16-2004, 03:44 AM
I have some sympathy with why Newtek, tries to partition the market. Business costs are much highre in the UK/Europe than the U.S. if non-U.S. dealers were to try and compete on price, they wouldn't win.

Ultimately, I like to know that there is a local dealer I can call up and if necessary, drive to if need be. As long as the price differential isn't too large, then we really should support local dealers, who advertise in non-U.S. publications.

If local dealers aren't supported, the LW base will never grow.

The last time I looked at the US/Europe price differential for LW, taking into shipping, etc., it wasn't very big.

Paul