PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to do Titles in Live Environment?

phareous
02-15-2004, 09:56 AM
What is the best way to do titles in a live environment?

The CG Player looks like it would be it, yet I see no way to preview what title is coming next.

And trying to do it all in the DVR doesn't look like it would work as there is no way to pause between titles?

So what should I do?

Jim Capillo
02-15-2004, 10:23 AM
Get yourself an RS-8 hardware switcher. That way, one person can switch and another can be working on the CG's......

Paul Lara
02-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Load your CG pages into DDR, and set that DDR as your DownStream Key (DSK) source. It's much more flexible and easier to navigate than CG Player.

phareous
02-15-2004, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the replies...I'll look into both ideas. But on the DDR, how do I keep it from jumping to the next title when it is playing? I would rather control it manually than have it timed

PIZAZZ
02-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Put your DDR in Selection Mode and it will stay on that clip/graphic/dsk till you select another one.

I personally love the CueIn and CueOut options. With the DDR in Selection mode and placed in Pause/Play mode by hitting Pause, make sure Cue In is on. When you select that DDR whether on the switcher bus or through the DSK bus, the clip/graphic/DSk will automatically play. When you fade/cut away from the DDR, it will automatically cue up the next element.

This is a big time saver and is relatively hassle free. CueIn and Out have different behaviors in Selection Mode and Project Mode so play around with them and see which one works for you.

BUT DEFINITELY use a DDR to play back your CG content.
It works MUCHO better.

PIZAZZ
02-15-2004, 03:07 PM
Also one other thing....

Open up a VT Vision window and select DSK view from it to preview your DSK elements. This is a ton easier to read than the clips in the DDR.

For even more fun, Use a VTEdit set to Storyboard view as your DSK source. You can resize the icons in the Storyboard to be large enough for the blind to see.

phareous
02-16-2004, 04:21 PM
Ok I noticed I can select a page in the CG Editor, then press the FADE DSK on the downstream key and it will do that title...but it doesn't do any motion so I guess I'll have to do everything in the DDR

I need to keep the pages in .cg so I can edit them each week. I've heard about scripting in VT. Is there a way I could write a script to take my CG project, convert every page to .png, then add the pages into the DDR? This would be a huge time saver (we have to do the same thing every week)

PIZAZZ
02-16-2004, 04:43 PM
The CG makes png files by default. Save your project. Look in the folder that you saved for instance your "test.cg" project. You will also see a folder there labeled test.cg. Open that folder and low and behold there are all your pngs. Load them into the DDR and you are ready to go.

From the DDR just click Add Media and navigate to the folder of pngs. Hold control down and click them in the order you want them to appear. Hit OK and you are all done. Less than seconds.

I doubt you need a script to do that. Since the VT uses no active directory type of folders, if you made any changes after you imported the DDR then you would need to reimport them again into the DDR to refresh the list to reflect the changed graphics.

BTW CG player only does crawl and scroll motions. Use a DDR for true motion enabled lower third and other moving graphics.

phareous
02-16-2004, 05:58 PM
Thanks...that did it. Now I just have two stupid questions. I am using the bottom third titles but when I do it with the DDR the graphic is centered vertically instead of being in the bottom third. The other thing is, when I do it with the DDR and switch to it, the background is black and my video disappears. How do I get it to overlay on top of the video?

PIZAZZ
02-16-2004, 06:01 PM
Are you choosing the DDR in the DSK input area??? Click on the drop down menu and choose whatever DDR you have loaded your CG material in.

PNG files already have an alpha so if you created them in CG and just saved the project then everything should be cool.

phareous
02-16-2004, 06:07 PM
Oh OK I have to hit FADE DSK and not AUTO (or space)

Still not sure why it is not doing the vertical right

bradl
02-17-2004, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by phareous
Still not sure why it is not doing the vertical right Set Page Type to Still Page.

phareous
03-03-2004, 07:40 PM
I noticed if I click on a title in the DDR this auto-advance functionality stops. How do I get it to start doing it again? Clicking Pause doesn't seem to do it.

Originally posted by PIZAZZ
Put your DDR in Selection Mode and it will stay on that clip/graphic/dsk till you select another one.

I personally love the CueIn and CueOut options. With the DDR in Selection mode and placed in Pause/Play mode by hitting Pause, make sure Cue In is on. When you select that DDR whether on the switcher bus or through the DSK bus, the clip/graphic/DSk will automatically play. When you fade/cut away from the DDR, it will automatically cue up the next element.

This is a big time saver and is relatively hassle free. CueIn and Out have different behaviors in Selection Mode and Project Mode so play around with them and see which one works for you.

BUT DEFINITELY use a DDR to play back your CG content.
It works MUCHO better.

phareous
03-06-2004, 07:31 PM
anyone?