PDA

View Full Version : Spider-Man

ToonShady
02-14-2004, 11:19 AM
Hi, started this little while back. Had finished recently and first posted at cgtalk. I will touch it up further when I have time.

Finished

http://www.toonshady.com/media/projects/SpiderMan/spidey1a.jpg

wireframe

http://www.toonshady.com/media/projects/SpiderMan/spidey-pose-wireframe.jpg

raw render

http://www.toonshady.com/media/projects/SpiderMan/spidey-raw-render.jpg

grundgedanke
02-14-2004, 11:57 AM
awesome...what more can i say!

veljko
02-15-2004, 01:46 AM
Fantastic!

the edges on the eye pieces are a bit off, a bit blury and pixelised, and i think the upper part is not connected to the mask?-otherwise, great work!

adrian
02-15-2004, 03:27 AM
That's great modelling and texturing - I take it you used UV-mapping for the web on his costume?

Adrian.

DM67
02-15-2004, 07:49 AM
Hi ToonShady,
Yours it is an amazing work. Adrian has asked you if the net on the costume is an UV Map, I think that you modeled it.... is true? :)
Even if a day your Spider-Man and my Wolverine will be met. :D

hrgiger
02-15-2004, 07:31 PM
Toon looks great, especially the work you've done on the textures and texture placement. The only thing that bugs me is the proportions look like it's a kid in the costume. I would check to see if the head is a little too big. Great work though.

ToonShady
02-15-2004, 08:37 PM
Hey, guys, glad you folks like it. Thanks for the crits. I agree with your guys on things like the head looks big. A few guys over at cgtalk also pointed me out that the subdivision level wasn't high enough. Well, when I get my lazy mind in the right mode, I will get back and fix them in the post.

I am sorry to disappoint you guys, but the web pattern on his costume is not actually geometry or anything 3d. All that stuff is done in photoshop using bezier paths, stroking them with a color and apply layer blending effects to simulate the look from the film.

Although, I did spend alot of time brainstorming how to approach doing the web pattern. I have experimented with uvs and texturing it. but dealling with spidey is a pain, because the whole pattern wraps around him pretty much without seams. Plus the texture would really need to be very sharp and distortion free as much as possible. I am not a texture person by heart. If you guys have any suggestions, I would be appreciated if you can share it.
My other thought was doing actually geometry. I started it on my model, but I found that it was a tedious process which involves doing alot of splines, and they have to conform to his body, and then you have to extrude a tiny square poly along those splines one by one. And then I gotta worry about weighting that piece of geometry along side with the body geometry. Add joint correction morphs on top of the list. That process is probably enough to just think about it.
One thing would be nice is if LW have the mirco poly displacement feature that everyone awhile back had been asking for. With that, I think texturing might be a better road because I can use the web pattern texture to produce the displacement. The render time would probably be the few major things that I have to deal with.

ToonShady
02-15-2004, 08:40 PM
Oh yeah DM67, I don't visit the newtek forum that often now a days. But I did catch your post of Logan. I must say fantastic work! Great modelling and texturing.