PDA

View Full Version : Beta Testing, BUG Squashing and Maintenance Update etc.

private
02-14-2004, 01:22 AM
I am not one of the users that prepaid for the update, and I have no frustration about the delay for Lightwave 8. I also trust Newtek is trying to do it's best in squashing all the bugs and being as thorough as possible.

However, it is still the same team that let 7.5b and 7.5c slip through the ranks. I hope that changes were made for this next release in the beta testing process and bug fixing areas.

Questions:

1. When Lightwave 8 is final and ships, is there a time table for a maintenance update, before 8.5? For example, will there be the release, and over the next few months, take the user's input and discoveries and issue a maintenance update, for example a Lightwave 8.0b or 8.1 instead of waiting until the .5 update like the old team did (and didn't necessarily fix)?

2. Will there be a 7.5d update for people that did not update to Lightwave 8? There was something mentioned about this on Proton's board, but hasn't been discussed on these forums.

3. I really like the idea of people posting suggestions, including feature requests on this board, but often the answer is to send an email to [email protected] Couldn't there be a sticky of this email address in the LW - Feature Requests forum and under all the Newtek staff's signatures? It seems like the best route is to email feature requests directly to insure they are read, rather than posting in the forum where they might be read, as the team is busy.

4. As posted in this thread: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16859&perpage=40&highlight=marketing&pagenumber=2

Originally posted by private
I think Newtek should put a promo video/dvd of Video Toaster in the Lightwave box and take advantage the Lightwave sales to show people what the Toaster is about. I wouldn't know however, as I've filled out the box to receive the Toaster demo video (twice) and never received anything:rolleyes:

I'm no longer in the market for a Toaster, but if the promo video was on a cd, it's not like it's extra weight and increasing the shipping. Every Lightwave user should seen the Toaster in action. Who wouldn't check it out if it was included in the box?

Maybe the team could look at this idea, as it really seems like a no-brainer to me.

5. Will the new printed manual be out at the same time as the release of Lightwave 8, or will it lag behind? If so, how long?

6. With the new commitment to video tutorials, and it seems like they will continue, and with the new technology like Camstasia, it isn't that hard for dedicated Lightwave users to do the same. If users take the time to also do video tutorials, would Newtek be willing to make a video tutorial forum and host the videos?

7. Will future Lightwave upgrades focus mainly on one aspect of the application, much like character animation, for Lightwave 8.0, or will future upgrades come in shorter increments with more of a focus, or is it to be more "broad and well rounded."

8. Will Newtek look into an option to receive payment directly with a PayPal account?

9a. Are edges possible in the Lightwave 8.x code base without a rewrite?
9b. Will there be a focus on improving the UV Texture mapping on SubD's within the Lightwave 8.x code base, and coming up with a solution, or again, is it not possible?

Both #9a and #9b have been beaten to death on these boards, however, I hope Newtek could look at these two issues, not only as much needed features that, compared to other competing applications, Lightwave does not offer, but also as an opportunity to for the new team to showcase areas that the old team failed to address.

The previews of the new features, do look like a huge leap in Layout, and hopefully the intergration of many of the 3rd party plugins have been bolstered and thoroughly beta tested, elimating many of the bugs that existed prior to their acquisition (read David Ikea's Power Tools).

10. Will we be able to see and speed increase within Modeler when handling higher polycounts than what exists in 7.5c?

I will be watching these issues carefully, along with my employer, and Newtek's actions and input will directly lead to either multiple new seats or the loss of them. This is really the start for the new era of Lightwave development. Expectations are high, but so is the upside!

Cman
02-14-2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by private
3. I really like the idea of people posting suggestions, including feature requests on this board, but often the answer is to send an email to [email protected] Couldn't there be a sticky of this email address in the LW - Feature Requests forum and under all the Newtek staff's signatures? It seems like the best route is to email feature requests directly to insure they are read, rather than posting in the forum where they might be read, as the team is busy.

Not to be a smart-a**, but shouldn't you follow your own advice?
You could send your request list to LWFeatures ([email protected]) and/or Customer Service ([email protected]) and possibly get a more satisfactory response than you'll get on this forum.
Just a suggestion. :D

private
02-14-2004, 09:39 AM
Maybe. :)

Carm3D
02-14-2004, 01:15 PM
> 8. Will Newtek look into an option to receive payment directly with a PayPal account?

I doubt this will happen because PayPal takes a slice out of every transaction.

animotion
02-14-2004, 07:58 PM
Also paypal takes away some of your rights as a seller. One of which is to freeze your bank account if there is a dispute!:(

papou
02-15-2004, 05:52 AM
i'd love to see a Corrected bug's list like EyeOn did for DigitalFusion/dfx+. (~25 pages of major & minor corrected bugs & improved things)

136. Now, you can load a new image probe in the image World Environnement option.

137. Foreground image can now use Alpha contained in the 32bits.

138. Glow will never trash the video fields anymore.
241. Spreadsheat will never stop the loading in LWSN.

hehehe

Nemoid
02-15-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Cman
Not to be a smart-a**, but shouldn't you follow your own advice?
You could send your request list to LWFeatures ([email protected]) and/or Customer Service ([email protected]) and possibly get a more satisfactory response than you'll get on this forum.
Just a suggestion. :D

IMO these questions and relative answers are of public interest here. so I'm with Private. he did very well to post them here too.

private
02-18-2004, 07:39 AM
I'll take the absence of Newtek responses to mean:

a: We've taken notes and VT demos will be shipped with Lightwave 8

b: Interesting, and you've made some good points and tried to drag out more information than we are willign to give.

c: we can't be bothered, but we've read it.

d: we will do what we have planned to do. We can't respond to everything, no matter what kind of hat Chuck is wearing to do his gardening.

We want edges and better SubD texturing in the LW8 stream, dammit. :)

3Demon
02-18-2004, 11:38 AM
Hey Guys,

cross-posting, hijacking post has been removed.
AAAND...at no extra charge, this user has been banned. ;)

3Ddemon
02-19-2004, 03:57 AM
SPAM removed by moderator Kurtis.
Both of his user accounts have been banned already.

colkai
02-19-2004, 06:39 AM
Well, contact info is listed as...

RENDERCORE REMOTE RENDERING SERVICES:

1200 W 7th Street, Suite L2-280
LA, California 90017-2349
voice: 213-627-3149
FAX: 213-623-3149
email: [email protected]

Go wild guys, spam 'em to death ........... :p