PDA

View Full Version : #1 Must have book

WilliamVaughan
02-13-2004, 09:35 PM
CGI Filmmaking: The Creation of Ghost Warrior

http://www.wordware.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=wwpub&Product_Code=1556222270

“One person, two computers, six months … twenty-two minutes”

Part “art-of,” part “how-to,” CGI Filmmaking: The Creation of Ghost Warrior explores how one artist created a feature-quality, 22-minute animated film in six months of production. The recent advancements in powerful, yet reasonably priced programs for 3D animation and compositing make such an undertaking possible. This book blazes a trail for others to follow in crafting a complete animated film. From concept, design, scripting, and storyboarding to modeling, lighting, animating, editing, and distribution, every step is outlined, every solution is documented. Pre-visualization, voice casting and recording, music composition and performance, and post-processing are discussed as well, enabling even a lone filmmaker to bring his or her dream to life.

See the trailer for Kaze, Ghost Warrior and order a DVD of the film at www.wordware.com/ghostwarrior.

This book:
Includes the complete script and final shot list for Kaze, Ghost Warrior, along with production and location stills
Offers detailed discussion of the entire process of creating an animated film, from creating the concept to presenting the finished film to an audience
Explores the latest technology for modeling, animating, compositing, editing, and sound design
Provides a complete map for crafting an animated film
Timothy Albee has worked in the entertainment industry since 1990 as a writer, director, animator, concept artist, producer, and studio owner/executive. His credits include Walt Disney Feature Animation, Warner Brothers/Infogrammes, Babylon 5, and numerous commercials and video game titles. He has written, produced, and directed three short films in addition to Kaze, Ghost Warrior and is the author of LightWave 3D 7 Character Animation and Essential LightWave 3D 7.5, both from Wordware Publishing.

DigiLusionist
02-13-2004, 09:39 PM
Proton, this looks like an excellent resource. Thank you very much for posting it. It's exactly the type of book I need right now...

WilliamVaughan
02-13-2004, 09:43 PM
I just got my copy today and about hit teh floor....it's amazing!

Hervé
02-14-2004, 08:33 AM
I noticed he said he used LW 7.5 & 8...... he he AND EIGHT.... life is unfair.... no I am only joking....

Hurrah for Timothey !! Thumbs up twice !!

hrgiger
02-14-2004, 09:29 AM
Looks great. Unfortunately, there's just too much stuff coming out right now. Lightwave 8, Leighs new book on texturing, Timothy's book, new mystery plug-in from Worley, not to mention school tuition. Sigh.

Hervé
02-14-2004, 10:37 AM
you're right HGiger, so much to spend lately.... but that's ok ..... easy come easy go !

Beamtracer
02-14-2004, 04:36 PM
I'm sure Timothy Albee's book makes a fine read, but I'm not sure about the title of this thread:

"#1 Must have book"

Especially as Leigh van der Byl's book about texturing is also being released. Leigh's book is the first dedicated book about texturing in Lightwave. That makes it a big event.

WilliamVaughan
02-14-2004, 05:48 PM
Liegh's Book on Texturing is going to be great, so are the other LightWave books on the way....But this book is the first of it's kind and is truely amazing!

I still hold to the title :)

DigiLusionist
02-14-2004, 05:58 PM
OK. So you don't think it warrants being called "#1 Must Have." Opinion noted.

archiea
02-15-2004, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by hrgiger
Looks great. Unfortunately, there's just too much stuff coming out right now. Lightwave 8, Leighs new book on texturing, Timothy's book, new mystery plug-in from Worley, not to mention school tuition. Sigh.

Its like..... LW-gasm!!!!!

Smoke 'em if you got em....

Fausto
02-15-2004, 08:42 AM
I'm sure Timothy Albee's book makes a fine read, but I'm not sure about the title of this thread:
"#1 Must have book"

Man I can't believe what some people get their panties in a knot over. I'm sure everyone except you knew it was his opinion.

WOW!

Looks interesting Proton, thanks for the heads up.

cresshead
02-15-2004, 08:44 AM
i think that when lightwave 8 finally manages to get out of beta and into our sweaty hands there will be a deluge of books and video training...they are still waiting for lightwave 8 to ship currently..like the inside lw8 book and the 1001 tips and tricks book on pre order currently...

it's going to be a great year for lightwave learning resources when 8 get out of the gate...

steve g;)

adrian
02-15-2004, 10:17 PM
Where can I read about some details of this new texturing book?

Without meaning to be rude, who is Leigh van der Byl - I've never heard of him (her?).

Adrian.

Hervé
02-15-2004, 11:35 PM
well if you call her "him", that could be rude.... ha ha.... she's a girl ! no idea where to find that book, but I dont think it is available yet....;)

pauland
02-16-2004, 03:36 AM
I was about to order the book, but $60 shipping to the UK is outrageous. It might be convenient for wordware to use UPS within the U.S., but I won't buy any book that costs $60 to ship to the UK, no matter how good it is. For some strange reason, not only is shipping hugely expensive outside the .US. but the $49.95 book which is supposed to be discounted to $32.47 was still shown as $49.95.

So, it may be that in the U.S. you guys can buy it for $32.47, post free, but here in the U.K. the same book will cost almost $110.

Maybe some U.S. LWer can confirm the cost to them?
Maybe someone might like to take a paypal payment and buy the book for me and post it to me using USPS?

Paul

paulrus
02-16-2004, 05:46 AM
Paul,

Check out Amazon or Barnes and Noble for international shipping. I'm pretty sure it's either available on them or will be very soon (I wrote a review of the book on bn.com).

IMHO this IS the #1 book for CGI Filmmaking, not necessarily Lightwave. I'm nearly finished reading it and Timothy really packs every page with information. The book is worth it just for the sheer inspiration of it all. The book is filled with "go faster" tips for getting high-quality animation done in the shortest amount of time & the least amount of money - and a lot of it has nothing to do with animation techniques specifically, but in how you set up your shots and tell the story.

Paul

pauland
02-16-2004, 05:47 AM
Thanks. I couldn't find it listed on amazon.com, so I'll just keep checking.

Paul

paulrus
02-16-2004, 05:53 AM
Here you go:

Amazon UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1556222270/qid=1076935917//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl14/202-1243392-7119057?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Paul

pauland
02-16-2004, 06:34 AM
Mission accomplished. I've just bought it for less than £26, post included from computer manuals - I had a 10% extra discount because I was on their mailing list.

Thank you very much.

Paul

paulrus
02-16-2004, 06:41 AM
Well I'm just hoping to spread the good word about Tim's book & movie. He's a great guy and deserves all the support he can get from the LW community.

I can't think of too many people that would give up working on Hollywood productions to move to a 1 room cabin in the middle of nowhere in Alaska!

Paul

cresshead
02-16-2004, 10:12 AM
re: 1 room cabin in alaska

i bet he has a GREAT VIEW though...and no commuting to work either!...just pop on your slippers and your there!

i though of a similar thing moving to wales [mountainns and sea]
or to the orkney isles in the far north of the u.k...houses are cheap!..neat view but bitter winds!

good luck to him!

..i'll be adding the book and dvd to my hit list.
steve g

problemchild
02-16-2004, 10:20 AM
Who says we're in the middle of nowhere.

We've got everything we need up here in Interior Alaska to work CG - including less distractions. -though on the days Mount McKinley graces my south-view window I tend to look away from the monitors too...

And Tim's been very good; I've been trying to stop by and meet him for a few months now and he's been very secluded until after Kaze or the book, or mushing season, or until the snow thaws from in front of his door.

Here's to spring on the way.

Alan Daniels
02-16-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by adrian
Where can I read about some details of this new texturing book? Without meaning to be rude, who is Leigh van der Byl - I've never heard of him (her?).

Leigh is a texture/modeling artist and one of the moderators over at CG Talk. Here's her home page:

http://leigh.cgcommunity.com/

Hope this helps.

adrian
02-17-2004, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the link Alan. Having seen her site all I can say is - WOW!

Her book sounds like it's going to be a Godsend to people like me who can't texture for toffee...

Adrian.

pauland
02-17-2004, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Beamtracer

"#1 Must have book"

Especially as Leigh van der Byl's book about texturing is also being released. Leigh's book is the first dedicated book about texturing in Lightwave. That makes it a big event.

Well, it arrived today and I would agree with protons thread title. You can't compare a book like this with one about some particular LW subject. This book is all about the wider picture not just focussed on one part (that doesn't mean it's lacking detail). Even if you don't want to undertake such a project, there will be something there for you.

This is not the book to buy to learn how to weld or make nuts and bolts. This is the book that tells you how to design and make your car. It tells you how to hang the doors and how cars run best. It tells you how to put together the production shop for manufacture and how you might distribute the end product.

I might never make a car, but I can sure know the problems and techniques I might use for a tricycle.

BTW - this book has nothing to do with cars! ;-)

Paul

Hervé
02-17-2004, 06:58 AM
nice comments Paul...:)